• COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! The standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the game you love!

Mutants and Masterminds essentials?

Felon

First Post
The Mastermind's Manual is not just a fluff advice book about how to run a superhero game. It's that, but there are many, many great optional rules presented.

Instant Superheroes is a wonderful way to ween your fellow players onto the system.

Ultimate Power is a great way to create some more advanced characters. It's sort of a book to graduate to.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
I think that Ultimate Power "completes" the core rules. everything else is well-one, and pretty inspirational...but it's optional.

This is correct.

Ultimate Power is optional, but it is so much awesome that it SHOULD be required. :D

Qualidar

First Post
Thanee said:
Mastermind's Manual for M&M is kinda like Unearthed Arcana for D&D.
That's very true, but it's UA for 3.5 (lots of options), not UA for1e (lots of broken stuff and some great illustrations of pole arms). :D

SteveC

Adventurer
Let me add to the chorus of "Core + Ultimate Powers." Steve Kensen writes in Ultimate Powers that this is the way he wishes he had done the power rules the first time, and I agree. What you get with Powers is the core system for designing powers for M&M and then many, many examples of how this works. In the core rulebook, the power list is a combination of both.

In the M&M game I play in, we find ourselves referencing Powers every session. Once we got the basics of the M&M rules down, we honestly don't even need to reference the core books at all any more.

--Steve

Agamon

Adventurer
I've been playing M&M2E for quite a while and all I had is the core book. Now I plan on running a game, and Ultimate Power, Mastermind's Manual and Instant Superheroes are on their way. Also looking forward to picking up Paragons, the Heroes-like campaign setting.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
That's for 1E only, right? Is there a 2E book planned, or is that content included elsewhere now?

AFAIK, its still only a 1E book. Still, it makes for an effective guideline for your own gear designs or as a fakebook if you're pressed for time.

And, FWIW, I also liked Ultimate Powers. I just don't feel it to be as essential as a handy gear sourcebook that I'd be using almost every time.

Jim Hague

First Post
Welcome to Mutants and Masterminds!

For those looking for a Device book, I humbly offer PZP's own The Vault of Dr. Mechaniaikal, linked down in my .sig. The semi-sequel book The Catacombs of Mistress Hecate is in final edits, and we're releasing the demo/adventure Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed... in the next couple of weeks. There's a free demo of the Doc's work, naturally; get theee to the .sig! :)

As for books - I can't recommend Ultimate Power and Instant Superheroes enough...except to recommend that you look into all of the amazingly good Superlink products out there! Ben's stuff is awesome, there's a new and nifty adventure from Adamant out, Blackwyrm Games has the critically-acclaimed Algernon files books...it goes on and on.

So welcome - you've snagged a game that's much beloved and damned well supported. :D

Krolik

First Post
Thanee said:
Mastermind's Manual for M&M is kinda like Unearthed Arcana for D&D.

Bye
Thanee
While most people do tend to focus on the optional rules in Mastermind's Manual there is a lot of nice info in the Gamermastering chapter. Things like expansion information for Environment and Environmental Hazards not covered in M&M, a nice table for handling Trials, and some useful information on adventures and society.

Ben Robbins

First Post
Harmon said:
Hint- Vespa & no drinking while reading Play Testers summaries. :D
Got it -- Best. Feedback. Ever. Coyote6's dry delivery was killing me:

"Generally, this scene was rather funny. The players had fun smashing [killer robot] vending machines - Asphalt employed his kung fu to punch through one's "chest" and rip out its "heart" (a Diet Pepsi)."

Last edited:

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4