Mutants in the Now, the retro-modern mutant-animal role-playing game, is now out digitally on itch.io and DrivethruRPG!
Physical copies are still available via pre-order at j-k.games. If you've backed or purchased a digital copy and want to order a physical one, contact me via e-mail to get a coupon.
In the ‘80s and ‘90s, they ruled the streets, kick-flipping off of villainous faces and slipping into the shadows. Then, they vanished from the world of tabletop gaming. But they’re back. And ready to KICK BUTT.
Mutants in the Now is a retromodern retake on the mutant animal role-playing games long past and left behind by licensing. Mutants fight to survive, thrive, and make the world better for themselves and humanity.
With well over a hundred species of animals, few mutants will be the same! Species range from the tiny earthworm to the massive whale. Play a placid pika or fierce wolverine! Everything from a common Corgi to the rare axolotl. Forge your unique existence!
Combat styles, psionic powers, and distinct backgrounds further define your chimeric character! Whether it’s the street fighting of Jailhouse Rock, the “double jumps” of Telekinetic Boosting, or being a defender of a secret enclave, there’s numerous ways to build a unique mutant all your own.
Meanwhile, conspiratorial corporations, nouveau ninja, and extradimensional evildoers are up to no good. Go on adventures from the alleyways to orbit in a modern world where the shadows are filled with strangeness.
Carve a place in a world as weird as you are!
- Words by Julian Kay (two-time ENnie-award winning freelancer; Level 99 Games, Pelgrane Press), art by Fábio Fontes (Pixel Tactics, Millennium Blades, Buck Up and Drive!) and funded through Kickstarter!
- Over 130 animal species and over 200 mutation traits. Use your Genetic-Organic Optimization Points (GOO-P) to build a unique mutant!
- Fourteen combat styles as traditional as Aikido and as wild as tricking, along with the natural combat forms of animals and "improvisational panic".
- Psionic powers of mind and matter: biokinesis, telekinesis, telepathy, and more.
- Intensely playtested rules that call back to the games of the 1980s, but with modern refinements. Light tactical combat, investigation, social mechanics, gimmick equipment, montages, and much more!
- Human allies, either built from scratch by players or rolled up by random generation. Don't just fight baddies, make friends!
- Fully-formed villains ready to menace, from the Proteus Corporation to the otherdimensional Voxnax Velacuss. Will the powerful have their way?
- A rough layout inspired by the TRPGs of the early '80s!
- SO MANY RANDOM TABLES.
- 120 pages plus character sheets, mutation worksheets, and combat reference sheets ready to print.
It's been a long journey since this was funded on Kickstarter, and putting this together, playtesting it, laying it out, etc. has been the greater part of the year. Physical copies are still in the works, but you can go out and pick it up now!
There'll also be community copies available at itch.io; the current batch is already taken as of this writing, but I'll be refreshing them each week.
So if you haven't, take a look and all that, both sites have their own preview pages. Thanks to my supporters for making this all possible!