Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition

Puggins

Explorer
Yeah, GURPS is 1986. Puggins might be referring to GURPS's precursor, The Fantasy Trip, published in 1980.

Well, my memories of back then are way hazy- I thought I remembered buying GURPS 3e back in 1989, and that the Fantasy Trip WAS 1e. Going back to my books, I see that it's 2e, and the Fantasy Trip is not listed as an edition of GURPS. So 24 or 25 years it is. Four editions in 25 years is still pretty good- especially since the 2nd edition came so close after the first.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to imply that M&M's 3rd edition is too quick on the heels of 2nd edition. Just pointing out that lots of games have had editions last five or more years. Even with corrections to my list, I think that you can say the typical major RPG edition has lasted five years or more. M&M seems to be perfectly in line with most games.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm a bit nonplussed at this. Still, having played games like HERO and D&D (and many of the other games listed in this thread) for decades, I'm not all surprised. Just disappointed.

Its not going to be an "edition war" issue for me, though, just "new edition release fatigue."

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I'm a bit nonplussed at this. Still, having played games like HERO and D&D (and many of the other games listed in this thread) for decades, I'm not all surprised. Just disappointed.

Its not going to be an "edition war" issue for me, though, just "new edition release fatigue."

Same here. I passed on buying HERO 6th Edition because of them splitting the core rules into 2 separate books. So as a GM if I want to the complete rules I'm paying around $70 -$80? PASS.
Especially since 5th Edition was a one massive book for $50. It really felt like a bargain AND a real toolkit. I'll keep using all my 5th Edition material of which there is MUCH.

The buy in for M&M is less but still I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the move. If the changes are relatively minor and I can use most of my 2nd edition books then I'll probably do it. If not? then I'll keep 2nd Edition.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I still love HERO 5th Rev, but I did pick up HERO 6th. I haven't had a chance to play it- my current game group is not exactly HERO friendly- but it does look cleaner and sleeker.

So far, my only gripe is that Elemental Controls are gone, but I figure I can survive without them. If not, I can always just port the H5R rules for them right over.

On the plus side, figured stats are now purchased like all other stats, instead of being derived from purchased stats. This gets rid of a lot of the abuses that (some) people have been complaining about for years- it never bugged me, but it is conceptually easier to grapple with as a newbie and does eliminate a point of temptation for system abuse.

coyote6

Adventurer
They've said that DCA and M&M3e will use the same rules. There might be minor differences, of course, but it seems like they're supposed to be basically the same.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I for one I'm very interested in a new edition of M&M.

Lots of stuff in both 1E and 2E that are either broken, complicated, and most of all not fun.

Not to say that i don't like the older editions, but there is for sure room for improvement.

Hopefully they aren't afraid of making drastic changes where need be.

Elric

First Post
Doesn't Green Ronin do this anyway? Sort of? Sell the pdf first and fix things in it before it goes to print? It's great if you also get those fixed for your PDF.

They do. However, for recent 2e books GR has been quite bad about updating the pdf to correspond to the changes in the printed book discovered in this way (the Freedom's Most Wanted pdf being the worst example, as far as I know). That said, it's more understandable in light of them working on 3e.

I know that when there have been past updates to the core book in subsequent printings, GR updated the core book pdf correspondingly.

Votan

Explorer
For one thing, there are fewer books to upgrade than with D&D.

To some extent, I think that this is part of why editions concerns are higher with D&D. I used to look forward to new editions (to see what cool ideas might pop up) when a game was only a few books or boxes; less so when it is 30+ hardcovers.

Remove ads