• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My 4e Hollywood Blockbuster -- Throne of Death

Alternately titled, "Vecna vs. Orcus: Deathmatch! Deathmatch!"

I want to run a 3 to 6 session mini-campaign where I test run 4th edition. So far the campaign I'm playing in only has gone up to 4th level, and I'm champing at the bit to use all the stuff in the Monster Manual in an adventure where every dial is turned up to 11. Now, the Monster Manual caps out with Orcus, and reading Orcus's entry in Wikipedia gave me some ideas.

The premise:

Set after Kiaransalee killed Orcus, but just before the Prince of Undeath returns, the campaign has three stages, at 10th, 20th, and 30th level. I basically want two or three set-piece super-mega-frakkin-awesome encounters at each level, with challenging foes, dynamic environments, and the feel of a Hollywood summer blockbuster

The PCs start out caged, weakened, at 10th level (they were originally 20th level). The backstory is that they were trying to stop a lich from retrieving the Sword of Kas, but they were defeated. Now they have had parts of their souls extracted by a cult of Orcus worshippers, who are gathering power to reanimate their lord. The PCs are just one of thousands of souls set to be sacrificed at a simultaneous ritual around the multiverse.

They manage to escape and fight off the cult that holds them, then when they try to reclaim the fragments of their souls, they find out that drow worshipers of Kiaransalee snuck in during the ritual and stole the soul gems, so they have to go chase down the drow. After they defeat the drow, they can return to 20th level, and they learn that for Orcus to return, he must kill she who holds the current throne of Undeath, the drow goddess Kiaransalee.

Now that they're 20th level, the PCs head to the plane of Thanatos to rescue the evil goddess of slavery and vengeance from the true agents of Orcus, because by so doing they'll stop the countless other sacrifices of heroes around the multiverse. There'll be a quick 'dungeon crawl' into the palace of Kiaransalee, which is full of thousands of dead from the great battle between her followers and those of Orcus. Along the way the PCs fight a few foes who are left over, and hew through tons of minions.

When they reach the throne room turned sacrificial altar chambers, the PCs will arrive right as Doresain the Ghoul King plunges his staff through the chest of a bound and chained Kiaransalee. The staff's skull screams, and the goddess's blood sprays from its mouth through a portal in the floor that leads to the Negative Energy Plane, where Orcus begins to reanimate. The dying Kiaransalee tells the PCs they have to seal the portal, before Orcus pulls the entire palace into the Negative Energy Plane. With her last power she blasts Doresain through the portal, then collapses, leaving the PCs to deal with Orcus's followers and seal the portal. The main foe here is the lich who originally drained their souls (based on Arantham from Ari Marmell's "Ashen Covenant" article), while the whole palace begins to tear apart at its seams and cascade into an abyss.

When the PCs seal the rift and kill their foes, a cloaked figure appears (psst, spoiler alert, IT'S VECNA!), and tells them that they failed to stop Orcus's resurrection, but if they want to stop his ascent to godhood and finish him for good, they have to slay him with his own Wand. When Kiaransalee slew Orcus before, she fed the wand to the Tarrasque, effectively hiding it forever, but Vecna knows lots of secrets.

Now, Orcus will be arriving momentarily, so the PCs had better be leaving to find the Tarrasque, but Vecna tells them that they'll never survive as weak as they are. They need the power of a god. Thankfully, one conveniently died only moments ago, and her blood is still warm. All they need are a few sips, and they'll be raring to go, at 30th level.

The final act has them hunting down the Tarrasque, from whose soon-to-be-eviscerated stomach they must pull forth the Wand of Orcus. But first they must lure it through a portal to get it off the prime material plane, so it won't simply return to the earth. (I think I'll also throw in some Cloverfield-esque mini-rasque minions, and Doresain trying to get the Wand first.)

Then they head back to Orcus's palace to take on the Prince of the Undead himself who, lacking his wand, is wielding the Sword of Kas. But Orcus is gone, and he's launched an assault on Vecna's palace on Oerth, intending to kill the undead god and draw the world into his plane. Cue the final, cataclysmic battle for the fate of the world (at least, the final battle this week; they sure seem to happen a lot). If the PCs triumph, they can wipe out all the undead across an entire plane.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Sounds like an awesome idea!!

First thing I would do is have several mini encounters with the party breaking out to get them used to the new level and abilities, especially if they haven't played at that level before.

And make sure to include a few alternate routes in case the party doesn't play it out exactly as planned.

But it sounds cinematically cool enough!

ashockney

First Post
Wow, very cool indeed.

I think you have definitely hit that cinematic appeal. My favorite part was pulling out the Wand of Orcus from the Tarrasque. That's sweet.

It's equally exciting to see some of the ENWorld standards joining in the 4e movement to continue our shared experiences. What a wonderful community.

Good luck with your endeavor, RW!

After watching Big Trouble in Little China last night, I think I'm going to heavily revise this to give it more cult classic fun. Now sure, I won't have a way to guarantee the players will include someone as awesomely clueless as Jack Burton, but I really like the plot.

I'm thinking I'll start with the group looking for some magical treasure to be given as a wedding present for the future wife of one of the PCs. They end up getting ambushed by a lich who disables them by wrenching out part of their souls, then abducting the PC's fiancee and taking the magical treasure.

The PCs recover and chase after the lich into the underdark, and they catch up with a group of Orcus cultists who are retrieving a dragon skull from a dragon burial ground. A huge mess of drow show up, but during the fight a trio of bad-ass villains appear, identities to be determined. (They need an overarching theme.)

These villains aid the cultists, and are too strong to defeat, but the drow help the PCs get away and seal the tunnel. Then they explain that they are followers of Kiaransalee, trying to get to Thanatos to aid the defense of their goddess, because the cultists of Orcus are trying to raise him from the dead. They have to find the temple on the River Styx where it flows through the Underdark. There will be a boat that can take them to the Abyssal level where the goddess of vengeance rules.

Hopefully the drow and the PCs will team up to sneak into the Temple on the Styx, where there will be tons of prisoners they can rescue, but not the PC's fiancee. They need to kill a lot of undead and cultists, retrieve the stolen pieces of their souls, then hop onto the evil cult's boat before it passes through the portal to the Abyss.

That'll be the end of session one.

Last edited:

Session two takes place in the Abyss, in Thanatos, as the PCs try to get to Kiaransalee before she is sacrificed by the high priest of Orcus. There has already been a huge battle here, as massive hordes of the dead overran the palace of the drow goddess, which was once the palace of Orcus.

First, in the garden outskirts they'll face a true undead horror -- an undead beholder, plus some undead mind flayers, animated by the cultists. Good times.

On the way in, there should be some minor foes to deal with. Ghouls and stuff.

Finally inside they'll witness the sacrifice of Kiaransalee and the departure of the high priest, followed by a battle against the lich who messed with them in the first place, and a dracolich (whose skull was the thing being unearthed by the cult in session one).

Treebore

First Post
If you ever decide to try this on line with Maptools and SKYPE give me a heads up. Even though I don't like 4E this idea is classic old school, like Bloodstone Mines, and I would love to play in it, since 4E does not suck. Just not my favorite way to play D&D. This would even motivate me to buy the PH.

Remove ads