My 5e Greyhawk Campaign

Turgenev

Hero
Free Town of Parthaldi Background

The Free Town of Parthaldi is located on the Artonsamay River. It straddles the river that divides the border between the County of Urnst and the Bandit Kingdoms. The County of Urnst is ruled by the Countess Belissica of House Gellor. The immediate area on the northern bank of the river is controlled by Duke Nebon Gellor (9th level Fighter). With the exception of the town of Pathaldi (which is of my own creation), the rest of the info can be found in various sources (Greyhawk Box Set and Dragon #63 from 1982). Since both the ruler of the County of Urnst and the bandit kingdom have the same surname, I've surmised that Duke Gellor is a bastard and has plans to take the County from his cousin, the Countess. As such, he has agents/spies in the town.

To save time, I'm using the map of Tharbad (from the Middle Earth Role-Playing game adventure module, Thieves of Tharbad 1985) to represent the free town of Parthaldi. Here is a small pic of the city.

Tharbad-small.jpg

The Dreaming Djinni Inn

The party's HQ when they are in town is the Dreaming Djinni Inn. It is located near the Southern Gate, on the Merchant's Road that runs completely through the town. Due to its location, the inn is often frequent by travellers and adventurers. The inn offers decent, if not bland, food and a wide assortment of ales from all around the region. Rumours suggest that the inn is haunted. Some say that a real Djinni is trapped within the inn's walls. Strange noises and things moving about without any known source are said to occur frequently.

The owner of the inn is an Ashon Goldsam, who claims he was once an adventurer himself originally from the Great Kingdom. He came to the town of Parthaldi over two decades ago and has stayed ever since.

Ashon Goldsam, Innkeeper: Goldsam stands just under six feet tall and still maintains his physique. He in his mid-fifties with his short black hair and beard showing more signs of gray with each passing year. He is a 6th level Fighter (Battle Master).

The source behind the Djinni rumours is actually Bodannovan the Brownie. Bodannovan (or just Boda as Goldsam calls him) first met Goldsam over two decades ago in the Gamboge Forest. A party of orcs was raiding the south-eastern end of the forest and he was facing certain death as were the rest of his small village. Out of nowhere appeared Goldsam with a party of woodsmen who slaughtered the orcs, with Goldsam personally saving Boda. Ever since that day, Boda has been by Goldsam's side.

Boda now spends his days helping with the upkeep of the Dreaming Djinni Inn. He keeps out of sight, only showing his presence to Goldsam. This is what has caused rumours that the inn is possibly haunted but the guests don't seem to mind since the 'ghost' seems to like to repair damaged leather and wooden goods.

So far these are the rumours that I've come up with for the town. The rumours are marked as true [T] or false [F].

* The town's underworld is controlled by vampires. [F]
* If you want cheap labour, try the Docks. [T]
* A Djinni actually sleeps within the Dreaming Djinni Inn. [F]
* From midnight to four in the morning, the waters that surround Parthaldi become deadly. [T]
* It is said that there are agents of the Duke within the town. [T]
* Gargoyles have been known to snatch people off the streets at night. [T]

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
I created these goblin assassins pretty early in my campaign to give the characters some variation in goblin opponents. I originally called them Shadowblades but once I realized that 5e had Drow Shadowblades, I changed their name to Shadowbones. This works better since their preferred weapon are their bone daggers (covered with serpent venom).

When I first used them, I had them high up on a platform that was attached to the columns in the room (Level 1; Area 4). The normal goblins would rush towards the player characters and the Shadowbones would be able to use their sneak attack with their short bows against those the normal goblins were fighting.

Each of these platforms had a knotted climbing rope (gives advantage on all climbing checks) that could be pulled up once one was on the platform. The platforms would only allow allow one small creature per platform.

Click on image for PDF.

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
A quick recap: In my Jebli Pit (Goblin Pit) adventure, I have two primary factions vying for control of the dungeon with the players in the middle. The original inhabitants of the dungeon are members of the Devil's Hand (a cult of Asmodeus) and the goblins (and hobgoblins) came later in an attempt to take control of the place that they found abandoned. The players have weakened the goblins and the Devil's Hand has returned to their lair to reclaim it. Another side effect of weakening the goblins is nearby hobgoblins have asserted their control over the goblins.

One tactic the Devil's Hand has used to root out the goblins is they have the control of a handful of hell hounds. The hell hounds fit better in the goblin tunnels than the cultists do. The players ran into these hell hounds in the last session so one of them is now dead. To counter the hell hounds, the hobgoblins have brought in primal goblins. Primal goblins are a creation of mine. They are a race of goblins that are more beast than humanoid. Tonight the players are primed to meet the hobgoblins with their primal goblins 'pets' (plus more cultists and a few other surprises up my sleeve).

Click on the image below for the PDF.

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
I found this image online (H/T the original artist).

stygian-hound.jpg

That got me thinking about hell hounds. Take the Hell Hound monster write-up, add Damage Immunity (Poison) and swap out the fire damage for poison damage (DC 12 Constitution saving throw) in a cloud of poisonous gas. A quick name change and we have... Stygian Hounds.

So if this Hell Hound variant uses a poisonous cloud breath weapon, could there be other Hell Hound variants based on the other dragon breath types? That might be an interesting idea to pursue.

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
I use basic text character sheets of my own creation in my game. I create them in Open Office and convert to PDF to print/share. Click on image for PDF. Only 2 pages are shown in the images but there are 5 pages total: primary sheet, proficiencies/equipment page, features/traits page, personality/background page, and a spell sheet.

Blank Character Sheet

Rustov ("Alewynd"), Cleric of Pelor (Life) NPC

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
Here is the other main NPC that rounds out the party (along with Rustov, Cleric of Pelor), plus a temporary NPC I used for a short time.

Sabah Ravenheart, Human Rogue (Assassin) NPC

For a short while, Sabah was unavailable to go adventuring with the party due to guild commitments. During that time, the party allied themselves with a wandering Monk (Kensei) named Yang-ji. Sabah is currently back with the party and Yang-ji has moved on with his wandering. I'm keeping the option open that he may show up again at some point later in the campaign.

Yang-ji, Human Monk (Kensei) NPC

Cheers,
Tim

Remove ads