Pathfinder 2E My Biggest Concern for Pathfinder 2e

pcrotteau

Explorer
PF1 fixed it: a straight roll + Combat Maneuver Bonus compared to Combat Maneuver Defense. A feat here or there adjusted it, but otherwise, simple.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
PF1 fixed it: a straight roll + Combat Maneuver Bonus compared to Combat Maneuver Defense. A feat here or there adjusted it, but otherwise, simple.

I'm not sure if you could describe PF1's grappling as "simple", even though the roll to initiate it was simpler than 3E's! It takes about a page of text to describe what it does!

Cheers!

I ran a lot of PF1 and most folks still avoided grappling, imhe
I am playing a brawler. I tried to avoid taking any grappling feats. However, I've been grappled enough times that my second Maneuver Training bonus went toward it, just for the +1 (to resist being grappled). Ugh. Last session, three PCs and a griffon mount ended up being grappled by two monsters over the course of the battle. I basically had to switch places with another PC to keep him alive (dropped to 5 hit points in one round), which of course nearly killed my PC! (Said PC was a cleric, and it was worrying that the monster's damage slightly outpaced the incoming healing.)

And players keep telling me to take the feat, even though I refuse to use it. (A brawler can use Martial Flexibility to temporarily take the feat.)

Pathfinder I reduced the size modifier to grapple, but... not enough. I hope PF 2e went further.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I am playing a brawler. I tried to avoid taking any grappling feats. However, I've been grappled enough times that my second Maneuver Training bonus went toward it, just for the +1 (to resist being grappled). Ugh. Last session, three PCs and a griffon mount ended up being grappled by two monsters over the course of the battle. I basically had to switch places with another PC to keep him alive (dropped to 5 hit points in one round), which of course nearly killed my PC! (Said PC was a cleric, and it was worrying that the monster's damage slightly outpaced the incoming healing.)

And players keep telling me to take the feat, even though I refuse to use it. (A brawler can use Martial Flexibility to temporarily take the feat.)

Pathfinder I reduced the size modifier to grapple, but... not enough. I hope PF 2e went further.

There are no size modifiers. You cannot attempt to Grapple creatures that are more than one size category larger than you, but if you can Grapple someone size has no impact on success.

Grapple is an Athletics check against Fortitude DC (10 + Fortitude Save). You can attempt to Escape with your choice of Unarmed Attack Proficiency, Acrobatics, or Athletics against the Athletics DC of the creature that has you grappled.

There are no size modifiers. You cannot attempt to Grapple creatures that are more than one size category larger than you, but if you can Grapple someone size has no impact on success.

Grapple is an Athletics check against Fortitude DC (10 + Fortitude Save). You can attempt to Escape with your choice of Unarmed Attack Proficiency, Acrobatics, or Athletics against the Athletics DC of the creature that has you grappled.
That is very similar to how 4e dealt with it. I approve.

5ekyu

Hero
I think making that adjustment will be the domain of tools that can do the math automatically.

Sure, but “not winning” usually looks like “everyone dies” in D&D and Pathfinder. PCs have few tools they can use reliably to disengage from an enemy once a fight has started.
I would submit that that tight there, that line about not winning, that right there is the bigger 800lb dire gorilla that a GM who likes having a wider array of monsters at play, on hand, in his pocket needs to fix.

That right there is far more important than the CR math.

Shift to an expectation so that "usually" an encounter iscredilient enough to have every outcome be fun and not have utter survival at stake "usually" and you get a much much larger and more interesting pallette to paint with.

mellored

Legend
Sure, but “not winning” usually looks like “everyone dies” in D&D and Pathfinder. PCs have few tools they can use reliably to disengage from an enemy once a fight has started.
I have always though this as a major issues in all versions.

There really needs to be a "flee" action. Probably requiring you to drop your weapons, gear, and take some damage, but still allowing people to walk into dragons layer, and get out.

A spell would be good too.

I.e.
"Emergency Exit" level 1.
Reagent: A stone that you spent 1gp worth of ink to inscribe runes on it. The stone is of no value for anyone other than the inscriber, and is consumed when you cast the spell.
You and up to 5 other willing creatures you can drop all items and gear, and are teleport to unoccupied spaces adjacent to the stone, and fall prone in a heap, appearing in only your undercloths.. Each creature takes 1 damage for every 10' teleported this way.
You can also cast this spell to teleport the stone to you. The stone is not expended if you do so, and simply appears in your hand.

CapnZapp

Legend
The problem with a "Town Portal" spell is that people start asking why you can't use it to go elsewhere.

That is, there has been an escape spell from the beginning.

It's called teleport.

But since you can use that in many other ways than just avoiding a TPK, such as bypassing content (such as a monster-infested land journey, or simply a desert crossing intended to test the Ranger), assaulting the enemy HQ directly, taking your foes by surprise, it has been gradually moved up in level and otherwise restricted.

Maybe Diablo had it right and D&D do need a Town Portal spell.

That you can only use it to open portals to towns is right there, in the name!

Remove ads