• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Booming Blade Focused Eldritch Knight

thebestjessins

First Post
[MENTION=6976536]OverlordOcelot[/MENTION] I did not really consider the growth of armor actually. I just saw that I could start with chainmail and went with it. The one metagame aspect I'm worried about is I have never played with this DM or any of the other players and they are all pretty new so I feel that at the start I might be a bit more on my own. So the more starting AC the better but yea, it doesn't scale well. I can switch to studded leather later when it tips the scales because it would be a lot of levels before I max dex and get the other feats I want. It's a good balance call though for sure and something I missed to consider. I actually don't mind working a weird flaw into my characters here and there since I spend so much time maxing other stuff. Somethings gotta give I guess and having a low wis save seems like a trade I can rp with. But yea, it's funny the trades you cave to consider. AC is a hard number to increase in this version and relying on a +1 here or there is a lot slower. So my progression might just go chainmail -> studded leather -> str increase at lvl10 to full plate. No idea if this game will go that long is the other concern.

So I did really think about when to take war caster. I plan on taking it at 6th. Now hear me out, the only spells I will have with somatic components before 6th are Thunderwave, Shield, and Absorb Elements. But I only need one hand free so I can just drop the rapier to cast and if need be use my next bonus action to use Weapon Bond to retrieve it on my next turn. At most I can use 3 spells that per long rest, so basically all day, so only 3 rounds that I may need the extra emergency defense or crowd clearing but the +2 dex works every round effectively. The other two main War Caster traits are less of a concern to me since I don't have any concentration spells and I'mm be trying to utilize dueling defense as my bonus action every round so other attacks of opportunity are not really going to be available. I haven't planned out my 2nd level spells yet really, gonna see what fits the campaign best. But if I don't have any concentration spells might not take it at all. All a balance really but yes, really good points. Thanks.

Remove ads