My Box of Conjuring - Workable or Not?

Aethas

First Post
One thing about my players, they love to collect things. In order to satisfy this, I've been trying to come up with an idea that will let them collect something useful over the course of my adventure. I read an idea online about a box that could conjure items after its given some sort of input and have come up with the following idea.

The Box of Conjuring (I think I need a better name)

The Box contains an 8 row, 3 column grid of holes of different shapes. For example, one column would be square holes, the second column would be circular holes, and the third would be triangular holes. Over the course of the adventure, the players would find blocks that would fit into these holes, each with a different symbol. Each block would represent a different idea or item and each column would represent a different trait of an item, such as "base nature", "extra property", "magical property". Once the players have at least one block in each column, they could press the three down and an item fitting the descriptions on the blocks would materialize. I realize I did a horrible job of explaining that, so here's a small example.
The players have found three blocks so far: "rope", "spike", and "fire". When the three of these are pressed, a flaming spiked chain would materialize next to the box and be usable for an hour.
The idea is still pretty vague in my head, so I'll still have to come up with things like how many items can be made at once. I was just wondering if anyone had any input as to whether this could actually be implemented well, what blocks I could use, and if there's a major flaw I've already overlooked. Also, we're playing with GURPS in the typical medieval fantasy setting, if that makes any difference. Any feedback is appreciated.

Janx

Hero
I was envisioning this as a prop you could build.

Mechanically, the feature of pressing blocks down that you set into place would require some engineering. it could be effected with a sliding plate under neath the top surface. So the top surface has the shape holes, and the plate holds them up. Then you slide a lever and the plate shifts with drop-thru holes for the blocks to enter the box.

the blocks then fall through, and slide to the rear hatch for the GM to pick them up, see them and describe what appears.

For the blocks, I see it as making the shapes represent attributes. So a noun and 2 adjectives in the example of the flaming spiked whip

Rather than a huge bank or rows and shapes, you really only need 1 slot per shape. Make a slightly larger variety of shapes (circle, triangle, square, pentagon) and you control the images on the shapes so you can make up whatever combinations that'll be interesting.

You could leave off a shape (the pentagon) for a while. Making your players wonder what it unlocks. When you reveal it, that's when the power of the box grows (to meet their higher power level needs for objects).

Aethas

First Post
I definitely like the idea of using one space per shape instead of the grid I was thinking of. I was also worried about how to expand the box's power later on, so having spaces they don't have blocks for yet would be a great way to do that. I love the idea of building an actual box as a prop, but unfortunately I don't think I have the skill to do something like that. I may have to ask around my family for a favor or two in order to get one made. Thank you for the ideas, I knew there'd be ways to improve this thing.

Keenberg

First Post
Regarding how many things can be made at once: I'd say that the in-game mechanics of this conjuration box need to be pretty limiting. Even if they can use it once a day, the pc's might get lazy and come to depend on it. I'd give it a three-day cooldown, a decent cost of magic residuum, or some other limiting mechanic on its use, unless you can fully trust the players not to abuse it or become reliant on it.

Remove ads