• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E My Crazy Theory about 2015 5e

delericho

Legend
Well, without new material someone has probably seen each one by now.

I very much doubt it. They'll have seen the surface issues, yes, but because of the complexity of the game there's going to be a lot of stuff buried in there that will only become apparent through emergent gameplay.

Essentials wasn't a revision at all...

While that's true, Essentials very definitely fills the same niche in the 4e release cycle as 3.5e did for 3e: a replacement set of core rulebooks providing an updated entry point into the game.

In many ways, Essentials was "4.5e done right."

delericho

Legend
Here's a crazy thought: have the initial 5E release on free or cheap PDF's only. Release the hardback books after a year or three of gaming. Yes: it's too late now, and not profitable. I'm dreaming again.

Back before 5e was announced, we had the occasional "what would you do..." threads. My suggested approach was that they could use the DDI to preview pretty much all supplementary material for a few months, allowing them to send the books to the printer with the errata already incorporated (allowing them to avoid the rolling errata/revisions that 4e saw without losing the ability to get those corrections). Obviously, now that DDI is effectively dead, that's not viable.

So, anyway, I'm roughly in agreement that this wouldn't be a bad approach. :)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
WotC has already stated that they want to bring in more money by expanding to other media: tv shows, film, novels, etc. to make up for the far slower hardback releases.

More licensed products doesn't prevent them from doing more edition. Like a new one to correct concentration. It looks doubtful, but it is possible. I do not think they have long terms plans. From the playtest it was obvious that 5e's business model is improvisation.

The real take away from the OP is that trust and confidence in D&D/WotC/Hasbro has eroded. Fast. People were focusing a lot of the release of the core products. Not noticing what was happening after or the lack of stuff happening after.

Now that the core is out and the dust has settled, people can see the horizon more clearly. No ebooks. No OGL. A book has been cancelled, editors fired and no announcements have been made about future products. Dungeonscape is dead and no replacement is in sight. WotC/Hasro is sendind cease and desist letters to online initiatives. A retailer and a video game designers have come out publically to critique the game and how it is handled.

Confidence is low and for rational reasons. The idea that newer editions is coming is just a sympton of the lack of confidence.

Prism

Explorer
Indeed. But it can also be true. And in this case it is.

Its is true that it has been mentioned as a problem for casters - as you say. What isn't true is that it is a problem for most people. I doubt they would change it if they releases any updates. I would be unhappy if they did since I like it as it is. Playing a caster with low con and no feat btw - its fine

Cybit

First Post
I think it has more to do with 5E being the point where WotC realized that they would be far more stable if they based their budget on licensing revenue rather than book sales - such to the point where the book sales would not be as relevant overall.

Plus, concentration is really good IMO; it's just a shift in how the game plays that people are not used to IMO.

Gecko85

Explorer
Right. And our group hasn't had any complaining about Concentration yet, so I can't say it's a widespread "problem" across the gaming community. All I have is our limited experience and for us there's not been an issue. Yet.

Our group as well. Perhaps we'll run into something at some point...but so far, no issues at all. Yet, listening to some, it's unplayable. Huh.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads