D&D 5E My D&D Next Experience at DDXP

Osgood

Adventurer
Would it be breaking NDA to indicate if those 3 areas were about equal in size?
For my character two sections were mostly equal, one was about 50% larger. My neighbor's sheet had a lot more empty space and the ratios looked a little different (but I didn't study it).

pauljathome

First Post
I was thinking something much more simple. You don't put "Cure X Wounds" on the spell list. Instead, 1st-level Clerics get their spell slots, and one use of "Cure Light Wounds" per day. As they go up in levels, they get more spell slots, and more Cures. If you want more healing, spend feats on it or pick the healing domain (or both).

That way, Clerics don't get under pressure to play the healbot. I'd argue that for most parties, an active cleric with buffs and save-or-dies is more effective anyway.

Doesn't this require something like Healing Surges to be effective?

If your "typical" party (ftr, mage. rogue, Non healbot cleric) has 1 CLW a day then the day is going to be VERY short.

Surely, either SOMEBODY heals, EVERYBODY heals, or parties return home as soon as they get more than very mildly injured. I don't see any plausible alternatives.

Hassassin

First Post
Doesn't this require something like Healing Surges to be effective?

If your "typical" party (ftr, mage. rogue, Non healbot cleric) has 1 CLW a day then the day is going to be VERY short.

Surely, either SOMEBODY heals, EVERYBODY heals, or parties return home as soon as they get more than very mildly injured. I don't see any plausible alternatives.

How about one CLW and a few minute-long prayers that restore more hp?

I'd like to see in-combat healing be the exception rather than the norm.

Agamon

Adventurer
Another blog post about the con. Apparently the writer thought the core had potential, but also had to sit next to a player named Whiney McWhinerson. :)

Also, apparently con playtesters were invited to take part in the Friends and Family playtest. Wow, jealous!

drunkenmonk

First Post
My point? I'm kind of a 3.5 grognard who drifted away from WotC, but if D&D Next is something I like, I'll go back to it (assuming I get back into a group again). And I think that there's a large percentage of people who left 4E who can be won back if the game is really cool. How much, I'm not sure - although, I know that there will be some people who can't be switched from 3.5/Pathfinder just as there may not be people who'll switch from 4E to D&D Next.

I can only speak for myself and my gaming group, but I for one, can't wait for 5E. It's got me all giddy and excited. I feel like a teenage schoolgirl with backstage tickets to a Justin Beiber concert. I haven't been this excited to buy anything in a long time. The fact that I am excited to happily spend money says a lot for a frugal tightwad like me. Normally I hold onto money like a mother would cling onto her young.

Mostly I play Pathfinder and White Wolf now, but I miss D&D. There is something about the iconic D&D brand and the settings I just love. It's one of those feelings, like eating a chocolate doughnut, or the first kiss with a new lover.

My gaming group will bring out AD&D occasionally, but we just don't like most of 4e.

There are some really cool things in 4E that I will house rule in, but I'm not a fan of other things. In order to make it "playable" for our group we had to house rule it so much, it really didn't resemble 4E anymore.

I would love to get back into the fold and be running the newest edition of D&D. I would love to freshen it up a bit. From what I see this edition will have everything we need.

Astrosicebear

First Post
If indeed mathematically spellcasters are behind at lower levels, this could indicate a conscious choice for power creep, and be a good thing. We will have to see some hard rules before making a judgement call though. I haven't seen any other reports indicating that spellcasters felt weak, however.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'll reserve final judgement till I see actual mechanics, but this really concerns me that WotC is throwing out the 4e baby with the bath water.

I wouldn't worry yet -- as the OP and others said, this was core rules, not modules included, and most of the 4E enhancements I'm assuming are add-ons.

Nebulous

Legend
Interesting thoughts, Thanks!

I think for certain things like healing they would be better off just developing separate standalone rules modules that groups can use instead of making some patchwork that no one will like.

You want to go whole hog on 4e style surges, use this module. If you want old school lethality and make healing a matter of magic and bed rest, use this module.

I can think of several ways I could make it work so I don't think its an impossible design challenge.

I agree, the deadliness needs options. and i mentioned this in other threads, the lethality of the game should be scalable. If that means that a Medusa statblock needs a Normal/Hard version, then so be it. Slowly turn to stone...or save or die? Two styles of gameplay, and two totally different groups that love or hate it. How do you appeal to both?

Remove ads