• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My E6 Campaign

Tagnik

First Post
Edit ( Updated with a new list at the bottom of the page )

I've been lurking all around Ry's E6 idea and have started a campaign with my friends.

As a brand new DM, I think it's a great idea and it really does help simplify things prep wise yet the game is just as interesting as a high powered game.

On that note, I did come up with a bunch of house rules in class modification. Some of them are my ideas and plenty are from others here on the boards. I take no credit for them, but I'm glad this community is here to spring them to life.

So, here it goes. Tell me what you think, balance-wise. Also, I have a strict No Multiclassing rule.

Paladins and Rangers retrieve their Spells Known as a Spirit Shaman (CD). Their Spells Known is as a Hexblade (CW). Paladins gain Aura of Resolve as well. (paladin of freedom)

Paladins Remove Disease becomes Cleanse. Cleanse works as Remove Disease, Remove Curse, and Break Enchantment combined. They may use it to turn as a Cleric with Sun Domain power.

Rangers gain both feat benefits of their combat style. They lose favored enemy and gain terrain mastery as horizon walker. (DMG)

Fighters Bonus feats become Wild Card feats. Each day they may choose new fighter bonus feats as long as they spend some time training. They gain Autohypnosis as a class skill.

Barbarians gain Flurry of Blows as a Monk, but can use it in Medium Armor. At 5th level they gain Great Leap as a Ninja (CW) but can use it in Medium Armor. At 6th level they receive Damage Reduction 1/-.

Samurai can choose any exotic weapon instead of a Katana. They may choose a bonus feat instead of Two Swords as one from the Ronin feats. They gain Staredown at 4th level instead. They may choose an Exotic Weapon Master Stunt instead of Iaijutsu Master at 5th level, and gain Bonzai Charge as a Ronin (CW) at 6th level.

Swashbucklers gain Canny Defense as a Duelist at first level, except it works as a Monk’s AC Bonus using Int instead of Wis. They gain slow fall at 3rd and 6th level. They gain Acrobatics as a Ninja (CW) at 4th level. They have a Monk’s Unarmored speed.

Rogues, Scouts, and Spellthieves lose Trapfinding (it is now usable by all) and gain versatility at 1st and 4th level. They may choose any of the Skill oriented Feats. (IE Skill Focus and/or Alertness, etc.) At 6th level they may choose from a Rogue’s “Special Ability”, a Spellthief may choose Absorb Spell.

Bards gain Jack of All Trades feat at 4th Level. They retrieve their spells known from their spell-books. They cast spells as a Wizard. (sort of like a spirit shaman) They gain Song of Arcane Power (sublime chord, CA) at 1st Level. At 6th level they gain Inspire Greatness.

Sorcerers and Wizards combine to gain the proficiencies and skills of both, the Feats of the Wizard and the spell progression of the Sorcerer. The spells known are the spells retrieved from the spell book per day. They may specialize and choose variants (Unearthed Arcana i think). To cast a spell they need 10+Int, and the DC is 10 + Cha modifier. At 5th level they may choose a special ability from the Hierophant PRC (DMG)

Clerics and Druids become Spontaneous casters and choose their spells known as their spells retrieved per day from their Spell Lists. (D20srd and Spirit Shaman CD). To cast the spell they must have a charisma bonus of 10+ the spell level, and the DC is 10 + Wisdom modifier. At 5th level they may choose a special ability from the Hierophant PRC. Clerics and Druids use the Favored Soul’s spell progression.

Dragon Shamans gain Mettle and Duskblades gain Arcane Resistance as a Hexblade. Dragon Shamans gain Fortification 25% and Natural Armor +1 at 6th level. A Duskblade receives the Warmage Edge ability but uses his Charisma modifier at 6th level. At 3rd Level a Duskblade chooses Arcane Channeling or Imbue Arrow (AA, DMG, any spell) ability.

Knights gain Animal Companion as a Ranger and gain a Warhorse. Gain Diplomacy as a class skill and can choose any mount or shield feat in their bonus feat list. At 6th level, Knights gain Defensive Stance 1/day as a Dwarven Defender with Mobile Defense.

as you can see the class choices are limited to only the ones listed, and no PRC's or Multiclassing (reserved for my NPC's). Hexblade and Warmage are mentioned but are not PC classes in my campaign.

any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tag

Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
It looks interesting, and I'll definitely be tweaking some of the classes slightly when I run E6, but I'm having trouble processing the sheer number of changes you've made. It looks like you've tried to upgrade all the classes, but it's difficult to tell who comes out farthest ahead.

I will say that Barbarians really, really don't need Flurry of Blows -- they're the most powerful melee class already. Allowing access to DR 1/- is nice.

The Cleanse idea is interesting.

I like porting over the Heirophant abilities, as some of them are interesting without being broken.

Allowing the Dwarven Defender's Defensive Stance is also an interesting idea.

I think you'd be better served making a lot of these class abilities feats instead, particularly ones with Level 6-based prerequisites, but again, the volume of changes you've made makes it difficult to know for sure.

Ry

Explorer
Hi Tagnik! One thing you could do is convert many of these house rules into "capstone" feats (so a feat for the 6th level barbarian that gives the 1/- DR, for example). That also makes it easier for players to look at.

Anyway, let me know how it goes! What material are you using for the adventure?

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I would say that rangers should keep their favored enemies and barbarians shouldn't get flurry of blows. DR/1 is okay, but it would also work as a barbarian 6 feat. What you did with the samurai is a good fix for possibly the weakest base class. The changes don't look horribly broken, it's just that the sheer number of them could get really confusing. I believe that the feats suggested in E6 correct any balance issues (mainly preserving a fighter's specialness and giving casters more spells and the ability to use more metamagic feats) that occur by capping at 6th level and giving extra feats. Pretty much all of base classes are really well balanced at 6th level. A few (hexblade and samurai) are on the weak side, but they are weak at every level. If you have a player that likes to play a certain class, and they feel that their PC isn't effective, then I would change around class abilities or create feats to give them a boost on a case by case basis. It seems like you are trying to remake all of the classes, and that really isn't necessary

Tagnik

First Post
I'm using free material on the net, and dungeon mag to really do my campaign. I just rename stuff into my own lil world.

The reason so many house rules is because I wanted to get rid of the Sorcerer and Wizard and combine them. Then I wanted to change the fighter, then one thing led to another and I just started changing all the classes.

I guess I just wanted each class to be fun to play.

No one ever plays the Barbarian with my crew so I will leave the Flurry of Blows :) I thought he needd something to match up with the fighter with her Wild Card feats. I'll see how it goes, as long as people are having fun I'm ok with it :)

the idea of making them just feats is a lot better, but I didn't bother.

Thanks for the input everyone!!

oh and two more ideas I changed. I basically gave all casters the "Eschew Materials" feat as long as they use a Focus. (must be a Wand or a Staff for arcane) to give it that "Harry Potter/LOTR" feel.

and i borrowed an idea from Star Wars Saga and let my PC's start off w/ double full hit points + a rolled hit dice. IE a barbarian w/ 24 + 1d12 hit dice.

This will keep me from accidentally killing them from something too tough since I'm so new at DMing. :)

Kunimatyu

First Post
Tagnik said:
This will keep me from accidentally killing them from something too tough since I'm so new at DMing. :)

Ryan's Death Flag rules are a much better way to go about that if no accidental deaths are your goal, as there are plenty of things other than hitpoint damage that can kill a PC.

I understand the desire to merge Sorc and Wizard -- in my game, I'm allowing Sorcerers to substitute a Heritage feat for their familiar, and they also have access to all spell lists(though they only have access to paladin and ranger up to level 1, and bard up to level 2).

Tagnik

First Post
I haven't worked out a "Drama Dice" system yet.

I'm doing the Savage Worlds initiative w/ a deck of cards though. I love the Joker idea.

I didn't like the Eberron action points idea, but Ry's drama system is pretty good.

as for death, I always just fudge it. (so far no one has hit negative HP in my game though! all landed right on zero)

Tagnik

First Post
updated.

This is a copy of what I gave my players

Paladins and Rangers retrieve their Spells Known as a Spirit Shaman (CD). Their Spells Known is as a Hexblade (CW).

Paladins Remove Disease becomes Cleanse. Cleanse works as Remove Disease, Remove Curse, and Break Enchantment combined. They may use it to turn as a Cleric with Sun Domain Ability. Paladins gain Aura of Resolve at 6th level and Auras extend to 30 ft.

Rangers gain both feat benefits of their combat style. They lose favored enemy and gain terrain mastery as horizon walker (DMG). At 6th level they gain Swift Tracker and Woodland Stride. A ranger may cast as a Hexblade and use the hexblade spell list. If they do, they lose Animal Companion and gain Summon Familiar at 4th level.

Fighters Bonus feats become Wild Card feats. Each day they may choose new fighter bonus feats as long as they spend some time training. They gain Autohypnosis as a class skill. And can trade Intimidate for any social skill. At 6th level fighters qualify for feats that require fighter level 8 and BAB +8

Barbarians gain Flurry of Blows as a Monk, but can use it in Medium Armor. At 5th level they gain Great Leap as a Ninja (CW) but can use it in Medium Armor. At 6th level they receive Damage Reduction 2/- and Indomitable Will.

Samurai can choose any exotic weapon instead of a Katana. They may choose a bonus feat instead of Two Swords as one from the Ronin feats. They gain Staredown at 4th level instead. They may choose an Exotic Weapon Master Stunt instead of Iaijutsu Master at 5th level, and gain Bonzai Charge as a Ronin (CW) and Mass Staredown at 6th.

Swashbucklers gain Canny Defense as a Duelist at first level, except it works as a Monk’s AC Bonus using Int instead of Wis. They gain slow fall at 3rd and 6th level. They gain Acrobatic Charge at 4th level. They have a Monk’s Unarmored speed.

Rogues, Scouts, and Spellthieves lose Trapfinding (it is now usable by all) and gain versatility at 1st and 4th level. They may choose any of the Skill oriented Feats. (IE Skill Focus and/or Alertness, etc.) At 6th level they may choose from a Rogue’s “Special Ability”. At 6th level Spellthief also gains Absorb Spell, a Scout gains Camouflage and Skirmish +2d6 + 2AC, a Rogue gains Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Bards gain Jack of All Trades feat at 4th Level. They retrieve their spells known from their spell-books. They cast as a wizard. They gain Song of Arcane Power (sublime chord, CA) at 1st Level. At 6th level they gain Inspire Greatness.

Sorcerers and Wizards combine to gain the proficiencies and skills of both, the Feats of the Wizard and the spell progression of the Sorcerer. The spells known are the spells retrieved from the spell book per day. They may specialize and choose variants. To cast a spell they need 10+Int, and the DC is 10 + Cha modifier. At 6th level they may choose a special ability from the Hierophant PRC.

Clerics and Druids become Spontaneous casters and choose their spells known as their spells retrieved per day from their Spell Lists. (D20srd). To cast the spell they must have a charisma bonus of 10+ the spell level, and the DC is 10 + Wisdom modifier. At 6th level they may choose a special ability from the Hierophant PRC. Clerics and Druids use the Unearthed Arcana (D20srd alternate) spell progression.

Dragon Shamans gain Mettle and Duskblades gain Arcane Resistance as a Hexblade. Dragon Shamans gain Fortification 25% and Natural Armor +1 at 6th level. A Duskblade receives the Warmage Edge ability but uses his Charisma modifier at 6th level. At 3rd Level a Duskblade chooses Arcane Channeling or Imbue Arrow (AA, DMG) ability.

Knights gain Animal Companion as a Ranger and choose Warhorse. Gain Diplomacy and Autohypnosis as class. The Bonus Feat becomes a Wild Card feat only chosen from the Knight’s list. At 3rd level, Knights gain Defensive Stance 1/day as a Dwarven Defender with Mobile Defense. At 6th Level a Knight gains Call to Battle and Armor Mastery (Heavy). At 1st level Fighting Challenge is +2; at 6th level Shield Block is +2.

All casters must use a Focus for their Casting. Arcane must be a Wand or a Staff and must be specified of how it is made. Duskblades may use their weapons as a Focus.

My feats:

Supreme Cleave: Prereq: Great Cleave, BAB +8: See Frenzied Berserker

Spell Mastery: Prereq: Caster Level 1st: Choose a number of spells Equal to your Int bonus that you already know. You may cast these spells without a Focus.

Marching Music: Prereq: Bardic Music: A bard can start bardic music abilities during a double move as a free action and may concentrate on it during a double move as a free action.

Weapon Master Stunt: Prereq, Samurai 5th: As the Exotic Weapon Master stunt class feature.

Poison Use: Prereq: Sneak attack/Skirmish 1d6, Int 13+: Never risk poisoning self when applying it to a weapon.

Combine Songs: Prereq: Perform 9 ranks, Int 13+, Cha 13+, Bardic Music: As the War Chanter ability.

E6 Feats from boards:

Ability Training (General)
You spend time honing one of your Abilities: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma.
Benefit: Choose one Ability; treat that Ability as having a +2 bonus to that Ability Score whenever you are making an Ability Check. This bonus does not count when making a skill check or for any other use of that ability.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat it applies to another ability.

Ability Advancement (General)
Your training pays off, and one of your Abilities increases.
Prerequisite: Ability Training in the same ability.
Benefit: Choose one Ability. You gain a permanent +2 bonus to that ability. This bonus does nto stack with the benefit from Ability Training.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat it applies to another ability.

Expanded Knowledge (General)
Prerequisite: Character Level 6th
Benefit: Choose a spellcasting class in which you have levels. You gain an additional spell known at any level you can cast from that class's spell list.

Expanded Casting (General)
Prerequisite: Character Level 6th
Benefit: Choose a spellcasting class in which you have levels. You gain an additional spell slot at any level you can already cast.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads