My first proper 4E game - Our reaction.

I don't often write about my games, but part of my group got together for our first 4E and I was surprised by a few things, so I thought I'd share. It was interesting to contrast their reactions to mine, too.

Roles - I was rather appalled by these at first, but these non-MMORPG players immediately thought that they were a good idea. My brother, working from a vaguely narrativist/Storyteller perspective, even, thought they were a good thing for the game. He compared them to how Trail of Cthulhu suggests players should play characters as stereotypical as possible, for example.

Multiclassing - Munchkin and I appalled, everyone else seemed to think this was reasonable, if potentially a little dull. Whilst to me it looks like a shocking change, most of them have played single classes most of the time, and I think classes like Swordmage may actually interest them more than a conventional Fighter/Mage might have! Shocking to me.

Races - Zero interest in Dragonborn, Eladrin mocked, but pleased with changes/improvements to other races.

Classes & Powers - Some worry about Wizards no longer being what they were, but otherwise the whole new system went down very well (though the Ranger point-blanked refused to call his abilities "exploits" haha), the whole at-will, encounter, daily deal making sense (some commentary on how daily isn't daily, of course) almost immediately (needed some reminding that they REALLY could use at-wills at will).

Chargen - Really noticeably faster. I wonder if it will bog down with future books, of course, but we shall see. I suspect not. Liked this a lot as it was a point we often bogged down in for hours before.

Combat - Ran really fast and with no problems, faster than the test combats I'd run. As expected fights last longer in rounds but take a similar time in real time given an encounter of similar "difficulty". This seems to produce more fun, so kudos to WotC for that.

HPs - The amount of HP monsters had caused some consternation. I can see why WotC is keen for us to mix many monster types together, because there's definate potential for this to get old. Took them a while to realize just how many HPs they effectively had via healing surges, too.

Skill use - Faster and smoother than previous editions due to the reduced number of skills. One thing we noticed is that a lot of actions didn't seem to be covered by any skill, or like maybe they'd be best with a skill + the non-default attribute (throwing a lasso/noose on to an iron spike high on a wall for example - seemed like maybe a Dungeoneering + Dex roll - we did it as a Dex check).

Conditions & Saving Throws - Oh god so much better handled, so much less confusing. People were much more aware of these and it worked very well.

Squares and 1-move diagonals - So much for my dislike of them. Nobody seemed to have much of a problem with this apart from a vague muttering about how moving diagonally was "cheating" (in a positive way). I have to admit that this is part of why combat moved along faster than previous games where we worked in our heads or on paper, though I'm interested to see how it copes with some of the profoundly 3D stuff we did (none of that in this adventure).

Minis - Didn't like, but were fine the idea of moving on a grid, so I think the solution is to use counters, easy enough fix.

Minions - Whilst most of them have played games with "mooks" and loved them, this seemed a little disjointed and they seemed a little disappointed and wierded-out that some skeletons could have 45 hp and the other could have 1 (I described them as being quite distinct in appearance). We'll see how this goes in future games.

Alignments - Much eye-rolling about the "don't be evil" (not like they ever are!), but Unaligned much preferred to "Neutral" and it's variants. Resident Instigator complained that no-one ever lets him be Chaotic Evil, but I suspect he'd be happier with Evil or Unaligned anyway. Chaotic Evil is too demanding!

Play in general - Seems to play a lot less unlike previous editions than I thought, maybe even feels a bit more like 2E than 3E, which is good because that's where our most positive D&D memories are. Certainly with descriptions and so on, this adventure didn't feel like an exercise purely in tactical combat or anything similar to that. We're not finished yet, so I may update this, but overall, I have to say the reaction to 4E so far from my groups has been strongly positive.

It makes me glad that I picked up 4E before this GSL controversy, because I have to admit, had I read the GSL before 4E's release, I'm pretty sure I'd have waited a few months (at least) before picking it up, maybe even gone over to Paizo, and I don't know if that'd actually have been more fun.

The only real big worry for me about 4E remains the quantity and quality of pre-gen adventures. I've always made use of these (though the one I ran here was homebrew), and enjoyed Paizo's slightly edgy stuff particularly. I'll be very sad if we don't get stuff of similar quality (and slightly edgy feel, I have to say, we really dig that) for 4E, from whoever produces adventures for it (I know we won't get it from WotC - in the whole of 3E, I can't think of a single WotC adventure I liked - ignoring Dungeon).

Still, back on topic, surprised at how positive the reaction was, and we had a lot of fun. So, yay for 4E, I guess :)

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
Ruin Explorer said:
Still, back on topic, surprised at how positive the reaction was, and we had a lot of fun. So, yay for 4E, I guess :)
Very cool report---thanks for posting it.

I admire you for approaching a new experience with an open mind. Cheers!

Last edited:

AllisterH

First Post
re: CoC

Weird question since it doesn't relate to 4E, but what version of CoC mentions the "play stereotypical characters". I don't remember this and I thought I had all versions of CoC.

re: 4E questions.

Did the players feel that the characters were different in combat (on paper, they seem similar, but I think this is one of those, "plays better than it looks" thing)

How "lethal" did you think combat was? Did the PCs feel they were in danger or hard-pressed?

Cadfan

First Post
Ruin Explorer said:
Minis - Didn't like, but were fine the idea of moving on a grid, so I think the solution is to use counters, easy enough fix.
Same here. Counters are default, miniatures if I happen to already own them (I paint miniatures for fun).
Minions - Whilst most of them have played games with "mooks" and loved them, this seemed a little disjointed and they seemed a little disappointed and wierded-out that some skeletons could have 45 hp and the other could have 1 (I described them as being quite distinct in appearance). We'll see how this goes in future games.
They're also quite different in description, in artwork, and even have different names. The minion skeletons in the MM are rotting apart at the seams, while the dangerous skeletons have armor, decent weapons, and move fast.
Play in general - Seems to play a lot less unlike previous editions than I thought, maybe even feels a bit more like 2E than 3E, which is good because that's where our most positive D&D memories are. Certainly with descriptions and so on, this adventure didn't feel like an exercise purely in tactical combat or anything similar to that. We're not finished yet, so I may update this, but overall, I have to say the reaction to 4E so far from my groups has been strongly positive.
I've also found 4e to be an awful lot like earlier editions. In a weird sort of way, it feels more like 3e to me than 3e did- obviously this can't be the case, by definition, but there are a number of 3e classes that seem to be reaching for a 4e style experience, or which would be better expressed in a 4e style ruleset. And changes like alterations to the way monster stat blocks work mimic changes I made to my own campaign to ease the effort of customizing monsters.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Sounds great!

On the adventure front, have you read Heathen in Dungons? It would probably be a fair indicator of how (at least early) 4e adventures will be from WotC. I have not had a chance to read it yet, so I have no idea if it will encourage or discourage. :)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
This seems to jive with the "reads bad, plays good" impression that has been fairly common on these boards. My own game (won't have another session until after July 11th grr...) played out remarkably similar to yours.

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
Ruin Explorer said:

Thats I think the thing I'm liking about 4e the most. It feels like they took the idea 3e started (that things should be handled in a fair balanced way) but used the older edition idea that game play should be fluid, and the DM should be able to easily "wing" it when needed...

They just gave me a great balanced system for winging it. :D

Asmor

First Post
Ruin Explorer said:

It's important to remember that hit points are a measure of how much damage something can take. When fighting minions skeletons, they almost seem to jump in front of your blades, shattering on impact. Against regular ones, they dodge and weave, turning killing blows into glancing blows. Finally, when their luck/resolve/etc runs out (i.e. low on HP), a PC finally manages to strike them square and dispatch them.

It's hard to do (in my mind, the distinction is still purely academic and it hasn't yet taken on a gut feeling), but D&D just works a lot better if you rid yourself of the "dealing damage is literally dealing damage" mindset.

Mallus

Legend
Thanks for the report. Most of my group can't wait to dig into a 4e campaign, but that won't happen until the fall, so for right now have to make do with brainstorming up the (new) setting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases