D&D 5E My First Time Running/Playing 5E. LMoP 6+ Hour Session. Spoiler Alert!

painted_klown

First Post
Hello all,

First, I want to give all of you a hearty and sincere "Thank You" for all of your support, help, tips, ideas, and encouragement.

This past Sunday (01/11/15) was my first time ever playing 5E, I was the DM, and we had 4 players, who had also never played before. Two of the players I have known for a while, and the other two I didn't know from before the game. The two I knew, along with myself, are the ones who were really wanting to play. One of them recruited his girlfriend, and the other recruited a friend from work to round out our table.

We were hoping the two "recruited players" would enjoy themselves, so we can get a regular game going. The plan was to only do one game a month, due to everyone's schedules, family lives, etc. How did it go? Please read on for the story.

When we all sat down to play, I spent quite a bit of time going over rules, explaining how to read their character sheets, covering some basics, answering questions for the players, etc.

I then asked if they would like to do some pre-adventure playing, to see how things worked. They all agreed, so I drew a quick (made up on the spot) dungeon, and had them play through it. To be honest, I was just kind of making it all up as I went along, but the players all really seemed to enjoy it, and were commenting on how well prepared they thought I was. :D They finished my impromptu dungeon and were all eager to jump into the actual adventure.

I am sure all of you are familiar with LMoP, so I won't rehash the adventure, but would like to cover a couple of the highlights. The players were all using the pre-gen characters that came with the starter set, so they were familiarizing themselves with the their characters, and everyone seemed to really like them as well. In the time frame leading up to the game, there was a lot of talk about wanting to roll up their own characters. By the time we were pretty well into the session, some of the players had grown to really like their characters, with one player even saying he wanted to roll up the same character with some minor changes. :cool:

I did give some hints to the players as the game went along, advising them they don't have to kill every single monster they run across. They then decided to keep one goblin alive and question him. I had a little bit of fun with this part, letting the players decide how they would try to get information from the goblin. Some tried intimidation, others thought they would use their charisma to get him to talk. After some hilariously bad rolls, I decided the goblin was finally scared enough to tell them everything he knew.

Inside the Cragmaw Hideout, my players did decide to climb the rubble from room 3 to room 8. Honestly, I think they kind of thought they were supposed to do that, so I let them go for it. Describing the rubble to them, one player tried to climb and fell down, taking some damage. Then they all started thinking and two of them saw that they had pitons and rope in their inventory. The two with pitons decided to give some pitons to the players that didn't have them, and the two with rope decided they would climb up first, then hold the ropes for their friends. Due to them thinking this out, and figuring out a great way to work together, I decided to give them all advantage on their athletics checks. One player rolled at natural 20 from the ground, everyone cheered, so I said that she made it to the top with the single roll. Everybody really seemed to like the ruling.

When they got to the top, one player with darkvision was able to see inside the room. I described the room to them, then placed the monsters in the room. I then had them do STR checks to break the rubble down enough to climb through the hole and fight the monsters. The bugbear was hitting them hard, and I was afraid of having a party member die, fortunately, they all worked together well as a team and the healer kept players alive as the battle went on. The way the bugbear actually died was pretty cool. The fighter in the group runs up to him and hit him with his great axe. On the attack roll he rolled a critical hit, and the entire group cheered loudly. Even I was excited and stood up to cheer and toss out some fist bumps to the players. :D

As the session was winding down, my friend asked his work recruit friend what he thought, and his response was "I'm going to buy some dice". Needless to say, the session was a total success, and while they did give me a little grief (friendly teasing) when I had to read a bit here and there (saying it was the loading screen LOL! ) everyone thought I did a great job, and seeming impressed with my level of preparation. :cool:

Then on Monday, everyone was still reeling from the excitement of the adventure and agreed to have gaming sessions as much as our schedules will allow (as opposed to only 1 a month) and the recruited work friend, even mentioned that he would like to try DM'ing some time in the future, if I was cool with it. WOO HOO!!! I said I would totally be down with that, and had no problem with rotating the DM as much as the group wanted.

I am now preparing for our next session (which we're all planning for 2 weeks from now) and going over some rules, to be sure we ran them correctly. Thanks again all for your help. I feel like I would not have been as near as successful as I was without your help.

-Dave B-)

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
Success! Honestly, I thought that, with all your posts, you were in danger of over-thinking your first session, but it certainly looks like all your hard work paid off. You now have a large, regular, engaged group. Let's see what you can do with them! :D

painted_klown

First Post
Success! Honestly, I thought that, with all your posts, you were in danger of over-thinking your first session, but it certainly looks like all your hard work paid off. You now have a large, regular, engaged group. Let's see what you can do with them! :D
After the fact, I realize that I was probably over thinking everything. My main concern was trying to learn all of the rules AND trying to figure out how to run the thing.

Luckily, the players were all engaged, so they made it easy to make up stuff here and there as we went along. They would say " I want to try X" I would respond with "Give me a Y check". If it was just something that would be easy, I would say they did it if they had a 10 or higher. Making it easy for them, and allowing them to use their ideas during game play.

guachi

Hero
Yay!

Given all the questions you've asked of us, you must have been the most prepared DM ever!

Two comments -

You mentioned the premade characters. I really like the premades for LMOP because, as you know from having read the module, each has a motivation for various parts of the adventure. In addition, I love a premade character because it forces the player to really think about his character, something like an improv skit where the character is thrust upon you.

Second, I love the players thinking of how to overcome the rubble. Take to heart the three pillars of D&D (page 8 of PHB & page 5 of the free Basic Rules) - Exploration, social interaction, combat. This situation is most definitely exploration. Encourage the other two parts as well. The combat portion is, obviously, easy to do. Take note of what parts the players seem to like and emphasize that. As for me, I like when the social interaction is between the players themselves.

I like the way you resolved it. Take to heart the basic pattern of D&D (page 6 of PHB & page 3 of the Basic Rules) - The DM describes the environment, the players describe what they want to do, the DM narrates the results of the adventurer's actions. The rubble is a perfect situation. The players described what their characters did (pitons/rope) and you determined they would get advantage from their description. Too often, the players say stuff like "I roll my Athletics to climb the rubble." Bah! Players only roll if the DM determines their description warrants it. You could have even said, "That's a great plan! No rolling. You all succeed."

painted_klown

First Post
Good deal. So in 6 hours you were able to clear out the entire cragmaw hideout?
Actually they didn't. They just got into the bugbear's room. They fought the monsters in there, and collected the treasure. Next session, they plan to go back in, explore the rest of it, and save Sildar (who they realized has been taken there).

painted_klown

First Post
So happy to read this, well done!

You are one of us now :D
Thank you. It feels good to have done it, and been successful at it, based on player feedback. To be honest, it was a lot more positive than I had expected it to be. Ultimately, I realized something that gets said a lot. Let the players have fun with it, even if it's not part of what you expected. If they want to try something, let them have a "go" at it. Even rolling a 1 can be fun for the players, as it's a hilariously bad fail.

One thing I was concerned with, was making sure I included everyone. When in combat, I generally had the monsters either attack who was standing closest, or the player who had attacked them last. It ended up being a good way to mix things up, and I don't think anyone felt like they didn't have the spotlight as much as the others.

Now that first session is done, and as I get to know the player's styles a bit more, it will be easier to incorporate their characters into various bits of the adventure.

For the next session, I plan to introduce inspiration into the game. It encourages roleplay, critical thinking, and working as a team. I think the players will really like it as well.

Remove ads