• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My first TPK (Beyond the Veil spoilers)

Creeping Death

First Post
This details a section of the module, read at your own risk.

(SPOILER)

The party consisted of 4 characters. Arcane archer with 42 hp, a cleric with more than that, a barbarian with 95 hp, and a sorceress with about 38 hp. All 10th level.

The session before they killed the two half drow half dragon warriors and discovered the room full of half dragon carrion crawlers. They had to retreat and heal up.

This session they decided to go through the armory. They bypass verrit and go on. They did not open the door to his room. They stopped at the double doors to the room in the center, peeked in and decided against going in. They check out the laboratory, find the potions and then find gaulmeth in his room. There is a small standoff but the quick thinking cleric tries diplomacy. It works. Gaulmeth and the group don't quit become allies but he promises to never attack or cause them harm.

The group then decided to go back to verrits room. They crowd around the door and open it up. The room is dark but they see something that looks like a dragon with glowing eyes. I have them roll initiative.

AA = Arcane Archer
v = verrit (dragon spawn vampire cleric) (cast bull's strength when he heard the party outside.)
s = sorceress
c = cleric
b = barbarian

Round 1:
AA - fires 3 of his 6 arrows of undead slaying.
s - cast disrupt undead.
v - cast divine favor.
c - upon seeing the dragon not moving decided to disbelieve.
b - charges in at the dragon. Now he sees that it's just a statue. But when he charged in, he provoked an aoo from verrit who hit for 12 damage and 2 negative levels. Rages and hits cleric for some damage but not much.

round 2:
AA - fires 3 normal arrows at verrit (all miss)
S - moves in and cast lightning bolt (he makes his save and it does less than his resistance, no damage)
v - dominates barbarian.
c - moves in flame strike verrit (makes save takes half damage).
b - moves 5 ft and full attacks cleric. Lot's of damage.

round 3.
AA - fires at verit (2 misses 1 hit, does 7 points of damage).
- I forgot about barbarian's aoo.
S - cast a spell, can't remember what, but it did little damage.
v - grapples sorceress, succeeds and drains 1 pt of con.
c - attacks barbarian with intent to knock her out.
b - full attacks cleric killing him.

round 4
AA - fires at verrit (1 hit, little damage), verrit has fast heal.
s - fails to break free, no still spell.
v - drains 1 more point of con, sorceress loses 10 hp (con damage).
c - dead
b - full attack on AA. Mucho damage.

round 5
AA - fires at B doing lots of damage, he's down to 5 now.
s - fails to break free.
v - drains 1 more point of con. Kept rolling low.
b - full attacks AA killing him.

round 6
s - fails to break free, turned into a spawn a few rounds later.
b - sits down and waits her turn to die.

Game over. We talked about the module afterwards, we had fun. This was my first TPK.... I'm still shocked. Good thing this was just a one shot and not a long involved campaign.

We are going to start the adventure path series next... I get to be a player next time :).

Question about grappling. It's just roll d20 and add modifiers, right? Verrit kept getting in the low 30's and the poor sorceress kept getting in the low teens. Same with escaping from a grapple, right?

He dominated the barbarian because she was the closest. He grappled the sorceress because she was the next closest and looked like an easier target.

techno

Explorer
I played the Cleric in this game and all I have to say is: Monte Cook sure knows how to write a meatgrinder of an adventure. And, yes, all the players enjoyed the adventure even though it was a TPK. Creepingdeath is a fun DM, but he is going to be a player in my adventure next. Revenge is a dish best served cold. :eek:

Lothar

First Post
So I take it that the cleric didn't prepare magic circle agianst evil? It looks like there really wasn't any time for a turning attempt either.

When the vampire was grappling, he loses his dexterity bonus to AC. It also gives the arcane archer an equal chance of hitting his grappled ally instead of the vampire.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads