My FLGS just put 4E on 50% off discount

Reynard

Legend
To browse their selection, you would constantly have to stand rump-to-head with a large oblivious gamer, who would breathe very loudly.

I can't for the life of me figure out why someone who obviously hates gamers so much would be hanging out at a FLGS, or EN World for that matter.

renau1g

First Post
I can't for the life of me figure out why someone who obviously hates gamers so much would be hanging out at a FLGS, or EN World for that matter.

I wouldn't say he hates all gamers, perhaps the mouth-breather was a regular at the FLGS. I'm sure you've been in one and there's usually a group of regulars there. I know of at least one person who would fit this bill at my own FLGS and he's there for WNE, LFR, Magic games, and Catan tourneys, so it's hard to go there and not see him at the gaming area. I didn't like him, he was/is creepy, stares a lot, smells bad. Do I hate gamers so much too?

MrMyth

First Post
I wouldn't say he hates all gamers, perhaps the mouth-breather was a regular at the FLGS. I'm sure you've been in one and there's usually a group of regulars there. I know of at least one person who would fit this bill at my own FLGS and he's there for WNE, LFR, Magic games, and Catan tourneys, so it's hard to go there and not see him at the gaming area. I didn't like him, he was/is creepy, stares a lot, smells bad. Do I hate gamers so much too?

Hey man, says "Evil DM" right there on your nametag, sounds like someone who hates gamers to me. ;)

But more seriously, I agree - there are definitely gamers out there that represent the worst of the hobby. There are also gamers that are perfectly nice people that someone doesn't necessarily want to have to squeeze past and kneel behind in able to peruse the gaming books on display!

Windjammer

Adventurer
Well, I don't think the OP's FLGS is an isolated occurence at all.

A couple of weeks ago huge swaths of 4E supplements went into the $10 a piece area of major retailers, like this one (make sure to check the variety of 4E supplements that have taken a nosedive in terms of pricing by also checking the same seller - BookOutlet - on abebooks and the amazon marketplace area).

I'm sorry to say, but there are exactly two circumstances where we saw a similar pricing drop in WotC' recent history with D&D:

1. Eberron supplements. Just didn't catch on. By 2007 you could get 10 of these for $5 a piece on abebooks - from a high number of retailers.

2. The end of 3.5. Mid-late 2007, lots of stuff went into the $5-$10 price range. Like, new stuff, aggressively pushed off the shelves. I should know, as I'm one happy voracious D&D buyer of that period.

You know, for all the proclamations of WotC to the contrary, it's pretty undeniable that the retailers do behave as if product is being phased out and overstock cleared as if there was no need to sell it competitively.

The interesting question is: are these retailers acting on insider information that WotC wouldn't care to share with the customers, or are they acting on their own instinct?

Last edited:

ggroy

First Post
The interesting question is: are these retailers acting on insider information that WotC wouldn't care to share with the customers, or are they acting on their own instinct?

Most likely instinct.

They probably seen the "writing on the wall" indications, many times before in the past.

malraux

First Post
Honestly, any retailer holding onto some of the first 4e products (stuff like martial power, adventurers vault, etc) should be putting it on discount. Tying up capitol in products less and less likely to sell is a bad idea. Get your money back out and into new, higher margin products.

[sarcasm]ooo, a 50% discount. With sales tax, that just barely beats amazon's prices.[/sarcasm]

ST

First Post

FLGS owners (and employees) can post on ENWorld, too -- if there was "secret retailer information", it would remain secret for, like, 10 seconds.

thatdarnedbob

First Post

Oh no! I accidentally committed a GAMER HATE CRIME. I guess I better leave the hobby, and the forums, in shame! Or, you could, well, take rod A out of slot B and realize that I'm not bashing GAMERS, I'm bashing a GAMING STORE.

Remove ads