D&D General My Homebrew rules for 5E

Vincent55

Adventurer
These are a few changes most more complex some just versions from older editions brought forward to fill gaps or to clarify other things in 5e. Please refrain from giving advice on them use them if you want or not makes no difference, mostly I am posting them here to have a reference point for myself. I will be adding to this original post as time permits, thank you

Vincent55

Adventurer
First Classes

Well for one I do not allow multiclassing, but will let players obtain a class benefit in exchange for a feat, like a rogue's sneak attack damage or something but he will never be as good as a straight rogue, and to increase this ability he has to use a feat to do so.

Last edited:

Vincent55

Adventurer
Second Leveling, skills, feats, class abilities, and spells

To level you need to train, this was done in 1st edition and to a lesser extent in 2nd edition, the training consumes money, and time, and provides a chance you lose exp from a failed attempt to train. This is usually a skill roll using the abilities that fit the situation the best, And can take a while, if you fail you can attempt to spend more money and time to complete the task. If for some reason you don't have time or run out of money before you are able to be successful, then you don't progress. In this case, the player usually loses a little experience this is his previous level x 100, and has to be obtained to try an attempt again.

Also you need a trainer of a higher level or knows the skill or whatever it is your trying to do and they have to have a better skill than you or be higher level for things like weapons training. Spells are never just granted, a wizard might have a few given to him by his trainer when he was 1st level but they are rare and are never higher then 3rd. Otherwise, you have to find them or convince a wizard to teach you different ones.

Warlocks, well they have a person granting power while easy, your are still someone's toady so get to licking their boots.
Sorcerers, Depends on the blood lines, and have to fit with their blood lines' path.

Last edited:

Vincent55

Adventurer
Third Equipment and gear

You have to maintain your gear and equipment, which means buying armour repair kits, a sharpening stone, leather repair and knowing skills to fix and repair the times as well. If not then have someone service the items in town or another player who can, not doing this during a short rest will result in a possible item issue, this can happen on a natural 1 or 20. Everything has damage points but you don't track them I keep track of hits taken and some things can damage many things at once like spells and splash items. So what happens is when you don't repair and you roll a 1 or a 20 or get hit by a 20 I look and see what it is what could be hit and if it has been repaired or not. So could be anything from a lowering of ac or a broken sword or sometimes burning the backpack with all the stored gear. As a rule, i do keep track of everything hp, that would be crazy, i have a table to roll on for whatever it is and if it ends up a weapon but you serviced it then nothing happens other wise the effect does.

Last edited:

Vincent55

Adventurer
Encounters and resting

Resting: no short rests gain any healing, unless from spells or someone using a healer kit (in that case it is to stop the bleeding and to stabilize a character to keep from dying). Also, a short rest is to catch your breath and get your bearings failure to do so can result in a level of fatigue if you fail a constitution check DC 10 + the number of times you have not taken one, 8 hours or more of rest you gain your con bonus back in hps, this can be increased if attended by someone with the medical skill in this case you gain an added 1d4 +the person ability in healing. If you lose more than half your hp you need to have some magical healing or a few weeks rest. Also, a raised dead or any spell that brings someone back from the dead, that person who comes back has to make a constitution check DC is 10 +level Humans have an advantage to save other races like elves, dwarves, gnomes and halfing are normal. all other races are at a disadvantage to save, with the exception of tyflings which have to strike a deal with their parton to come back and some priests may also fall into this depending on the gods they follow.

Last edited:

Remove ads