D&D 5E My House Rules for My Homebrew Campaign (Feedback Welcome)

Garmorn

Explorer
For looting of monsters, you might also want to check out Monster Loot that is on DMG. It not only helps set prices but has rules for looting and how to use some of the loot. It might not be exactly what you want but it does have some good ideals to use.

Love the rules for rolling abilities & hit points and how every encounter is not level-balanced.

And people claim there isn't a One-True-Way. Pffft

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Rolling Completes the Action
Once you roll the dice, it's too late for the Help action, the Guidance cantrip, Inspiration, or anything else along those lines unless the spell, action, or ability explicitly says otherwise. No retcons, no arguments, no exceptions, not even for the Dungeon Master. Once we roll, we're done.
Just to verify, all of the various things that don't get applied until after you see the roll, or specificall know if the results were a success or failure still happen, correct?

For example, Bardic Inspiration you can add after you see the roll. Shield spell trigger is on a Hit, so it can not be used until after the roll and then may retroactively modify the success of the result.

I'm taking this as it's the cut-off for things that need to be done before the action, like everything your list, not for things that are supposed to happen after the roll.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Mythic Materials
Items with a simple numerical enchantment, like a +1 longsword or a +2 shield, aren't "magical" in the traditional sense. They get their enhancement bonus from the materials they are made from. Since they are not considered "magic items," they do not detect as magical and they can be destroyed by certain spells and effects, but they are not deactivated by an anti-magic field. They can be purchased in certain places, but they are considered luxury items or works of art (and are priced accordingly).

A +1 item is an item made from mithril titanite, darkwood, or chitin. A +2 item is an item that was made from adamantine, ironwood, or moonstone. And so forth. Keep your eyes peeled for rare materials while you are exploring the deeper caves and forests of the world, and make friends with NPCs who have the skill to work with them.
How does this interact with Resistances to non-magic weapons? Does +1 and +2 weapons bypass them, or do some creatures get a lot more fearsome to weapon wielders while not for casters (and 6th level monks)?

aco175

Legend
I have been allowing for average HP if the player rolls less than that. I tend to have more fighting that some and also give the monsters more HP.

I like having healing potions heal 10points or max. It may make it a better option to take one if you give up your action to do something else. I have changed my take on potions as counting as using an action to having them be a bonus action. Few in my game were using them and they kept piling up, or saved until after the encounter.

hopeless

Adventurer
Do you allow masterwork weapons and armour?
A weapon only gives a +1 to either attack or damage not both, whilst armour merely removes the disadvantage effect as if it was mithral or titanite as long as its medium or heavy type armour?

How are you going to handle the heirloom part?

For example say one character has a moonblade that when sheathed has the form and size of a dagger, but when drawn extends to either size of a shot sword or long sword its easier to carry.

Would that count as a suitable heirloom magical item despite not being on that Table B?

Knowing your players will they come up with their own ideas for a heirloom item?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I like having healing potions heal 10points or max. It may make it a better option to take one if you give up your action to do something else. I have changed my take on potions as counting as using an action to having them be a bonus action. Few in my game were using them and they kept piling up, or saved until after the encounter.
A DM in one of the games I am playing allows us to drink a potion of healing as a bonus action and you roll the 2d4+2 as normal. But if you take a full action to drink it (or drink it out of combat), you get the full 10 hit points back. His explanation being that quickly drinking a potion is going to be tricky and you may spill/dribble and not get the full benefit. I think he took this (in whole or in part) from Critical Role.

aco175

Legend
A DM in one of the games I am playing allows us to drink a potion of healing as a bonus action and you roll the 2d4+2 as normal. But if you take a full action to drink it (or drink it out of combat), you get the full 10 hit points back. His explanation being that quickly drinking a potion is going to be tricky and you may spill/dribble and not get the full benefit. I think he took this (in whole or in part) from Critical Role.
Love this idea and using it now, well Wednesday night at the game. What would be a good option for the other potions like giant strength, flying, or heroism. I was thinking 10-15 minutes? Either would work since at that point it may be more of a single encounter potion. Rolling a d6x10minutes could be ok, but I would want something simpler.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
How does this interact with Resistances to non-magic weapons? Does +1 and +2 weapons bypass them, or do some creatures get a lot more fearsome to weapon wielders while not for casters (and 6th level monks)?
No, it doesn't bypass magical resistance (since they aren't magical, they are just really high-quality.) Powerful/mythical creatures would require more than just something you can buy in a shop.

I should add that those monsters will still be just as fearsome as always, no more and no less. The rules for purchasing magic items is optional in the DMG, and I opt not to use them. So i's not that magical weapons don't exist at all...just that the party can't purchase them.

Just to verify, all of the various things that don't get applied until after you see the roll, or specificall know if the results were a success or failure still happen, correct?

For example, Bardic Inspiration you can add after you see the roll. Shield spell trigger is on a Hit, so it can not be used until after the roll and then may retroactively modify the success of the result.

I'm taking this as it's the cut-off for things that need to be done before the action, like everything your list, not for things that are supposed to happen after the roll.
Yeah, that's the intent of the "Dice Etiquette" section. Call the complete action, then roll. Certain specific game mechanics will let you add to the dice roll after it's rolled, and that's fine (and I forgot that Bardic Inspiration is one of them...we don't have a bard, so I tend to forget about them).

But really the point here is to keep the game moving forward. I don't want the players trying to figure out what number they need to meet and then spending 5-10 minutes trying to find ways to add dice to every roll that doesn't meet it. I would rather keep everyone's minds in the story and away from the numbers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases