D&D 5E My I ideas on 5e magic system

tecnowraith

First Post
Since this latest edition of D&D is planning to be a module, full of optional systems and add-ons, should the magic system also reflect this? I think they should go the effects based system way like in HERO, M&Ms and a few other systems that you build your own spells and your style of play.

The other idea they should do the domain magic system. Making the magic system be based on domains like for clerics but be more universal so both arcane and divine (other aspect of magic) can draw from. This way you can do the multiclass system a be easier and have the Hierophant, Mystic Theurge or Thaumaturgist. Think of as similar to Mage (ok this a mix of this and the one above) or the OMNI System used in Talislanta or Atlantis Second Age. The idea is the classes has a list domains they choose at certain levels and within in each domain they pic the spells from list in each domain to cast from In 3.5 you get like one spell but this system you get a set number spells.

What do you think?

DonTadow

First Post
Since this latest edition of D&D is planning to be a module, full of optional systems and add-ons, should the magic system also reflect this? I think they should go the effects based system way like in HERO, M&Ms and a few other systems that you build your own spells and your style of play.

The other idea they should do the domain magic system. Making the magic system be based on domains like for clerics but be more universal so both arcane and divine (other aspect of magic) can draw from. This way you can do the multiclass system a be easier and have the Hierophant, Mystic Theurge or Thaumaturgist. Think of as similar to Mage (ok this a mix of this and the one above) or the OMNI System used in Talislanta or Atlantis Second Age. The idea is the classes has a list domains they choose at certain levels and within in each domain they pic the spells from list in each domain to cast from In 3.5 you get like one spell but this system you get a set number spells.

What do you think?
I like the set of spells idea, you still g4et choices, but not overwhelmed with mayking dozens of individual choices. andi t makes sense for spells to naturally progress.

Aramax

First Post
If 5 is going to be modular,supporting many kinds of everything seems to be the way to go,its the only way to appeal to the biggest group.

Remove ads