My Incredible Idea

Okay, so I had this incredible idea for a mini-campaign. Epic on every level.
The background to my specific idea is that it is a follow-up to my most successful campaign, the 2E/3E/3.5E campaign which ended in the PCs becoming 20th level and saving the world etc. etc. And this campaign was itself a sequel to another campaign I ran several years before that on the same world with different PCs.

SO, my mini-campaign idea is this:
The world is on the brink of a magic-and-steam hybrid form of an Industrial Revolution. The powerful Mages Guild are about to begin a momentous experiment - a magical energy generator which taps directly into the mana field surrounding the world. The inventors' hope is that the machine will convert the mana directly into power, generating many times the energy of steam. But they don't realise they are being manipulated by something more powerful than they ever imagined. A godlike being who is so powerful he keeps the Tarrasque as a pet is secretly manipulating events on hundreds of worlds across hundreds of dimensions and parallel realities, and other mages guilds and similar organisations are constructing the same device. Then, the godlike being arranges for all the machines to be activated at precisely the same moment. The resulting energy tears a massive rip in the fabric of reality.

The first hints the PCs get that something is happening is through seeing 'flashes' of other realities; momentarily entering parallel universes and seeing monsters and characters from other campaign worlds. Slowly more things start to happen that give clues that reality is breaking down, such as the appearance of Earth historical figures and so on. Then things start to get worse. The BBEG creature's plan is to destroy the whole of creation - the breaking down of the dimensional barriers is the start of a chain reaction that will consume and destroy everything, in every universe and dimension, everywhere - except for a pocket plane inhabited by the BBEG, who plans to become the Creator of a whole new multiverse, starting from scratch. Obviously, the PCs attempt to prevent this. They are aided by a dimensional traveller who acts as plot exposition, the PCs from the previous campaign and a group of secret mages (I call them the Mages In Black) who deal with very dangerous magical threats.

So the first adventure sees the PCs fighting dimensional leaks (Aliens? Nazis? Evil vampire versions of themselves?). The second adventure sees them journeying across the world (dimensional travel will make everything worse, or send the travellers into another universe completely) fighting even worse things. In adventure three, they deliberately travel into another universe or campaign world (Toril? Oerth? Ravenloft? Krynn?) to deal with a threat there or recover someone or something they need to fight the BBEG or solve the problem. We progressively see the problem get worse and the bad guys more and more difficult to beat (and these guys are Epic, remember), until a final confrontation on the pocket plane with the BBEG himself, and then finding some way of sealing the dimensional breach and saving all of creation. I also have this cool idea that certain people, like Amelia Earhart, get 'left behind' after the breach is sealed which explains what happened to them.

I know I have a lot of fleshing out to do but this sounds like a really cool idea. And saving the whole of creation is a pretty big victory by anybody's standards, so my players will love it.

What do people think?

roguerouge

First Post
If it's a godlike being arranging for many different worlds to make the exact same device, you run into two problems. One, why don't the gods notice what's going on? And stop it themselves? You'll need to find an answer to that. Two, the Mages in Black bring up an important point. Why are the PCs needed specifically to deal with this threat? Why aren't Elminster and Paladine and Strahd dealing with it?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
If it's a godlike being arranging for many different worlds to make the exact same device, you run into two problems. One, why don't the gods notice what's going on? And stop it themselves? You'll need to find an answer to that. Two, the Mages in Black bring up an important point. Why are the PCs needed specifically to deal with this threat? Why aren't Elminster and Paladine and Strahd dealing with it?
Obviously can't answer for the OP. But for the second part, perhaps this being has already taken that into consideration and thus kept them occupied. While the PCs being low-level characters have essentially slipped under its radar and thus are the only ones who can rise to the challenge.

roguerouge

First Post
Yeah, that's a possible answer. The OP will need to make sure to have a plausible answer to that question for every world the PCs go to.

Ethalias

First Post
Sounds like a good idea to me. The word mini seems a little out of place though.. ;)

I've had the desire to use a mysterious plane/dimension shifting NPC for a while so that ties into my idea of *kewl* XD

Maybe they are, in their respective worlds - they could be part of the plot - all these powerful mages need to all work together. I also see the campaign as epic level, so the PCs truly are the best of the best - the Mages in Black can't deal with a threat this big on their own, but they do have access to magic and technology the PCs can use to help themselves.
As for the Gods, my homebrew world has non-interventionist gods, so it probably wouldn't come up as an issue. As for why the other gods on other worlds aren't helping, maybe they are powerless to act because all their power relates to their own world or dimension - since this is a multi-dimensional problem the gods can't act - and gods are unable to cross or communicate between dimensions. That makes a kind of sense to me.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I'm just chiming in to say I really like this idea. The thought of the slow realization that the worlds are spilling over by introducing characters and items and places from other worlds is just delightful. I would love to see my players' faces if they met up with Alexander the Great, or Raistlin Majere, or Aragorn... and the slow, dawning realization of what this means about the world. :D

bmadden

First Post
Hi
You might want to check out Alternity Tangents for your campaign.
You can learn about it here: alternityrpg.net
I think the Tangents sourcebook would be an invaluable resource for ideas.
Thanks
Ben

Edgewood

First Post
You have a really cool idea there STARP. I think that would be great to play in a campaign like that. It reminds me of a storyline I ran many years ago along with 10 other DMs in Montreal. We all got together and brainstormed an idea where all of our respective big bad guys got together and formulated a plan to destroy all magic in each of their respective worlds. basically all of the players from each of the DM's groups had to jump from game world to game world trying to stop the plot to destroy magic. My group would play in one DM's world while his group would play in mine until each group played in the other worlds at least once. We ended the whole thing with a huge tournament game with all (and I mean all of them) of the PCs assembled and with the 10 DMs running the final battle between the 10 BBEG and all of the players. It was a nightmare to run. But man it was so much fun!!

Go with it and have fun. Yours will probably run more smoother than ours did as it's just you running the show.

Remove ads