My name is "Defendant Radzikowski"

grickherder

First Post
Regarding betanews: You don't put software on that list. The website does that when you download stuff. So having some software on that list doesn't prove that these are my "favorite files" i use. Just that these are the files i downloaded there... afair

And also torrent software isn't just for pirating. Yesterday I downloaded a copy of Linux that was delivered by a torrent file. I had to go get a copy of utorrent.

I must be guilty!

Enerla

First Post
I think the whole problem is simple, and it can justify wizards stopping selling PDF products.

Lets see: There are countries where you can make copies of the pdf, and it is perfectly legal, it is perfectly legal if your copies are sent to the people you run demo groups for, and if you make it available in such communities.

But nothing can stop other people taking that copy and posting it on major P2P sites.

For the first part: Wizards can decide they can see how much money they got from reprography fees, can decide ok, it isn't a problem, since most people there still buys the game, and a higher percentage of players buy books there than in brick and mortar clubs, so good for everyone.

For the secound part: How to find the uploader? At this point the file is distributed to masses who doesn't want to pay for it, and it is bad, sets a bad example, and people there don't pay a reprography fee, etc.

I think it is hard to see any scenario where WOTC can get some decision made in US courts enforced in poland about this, and if US courts recoginze they should use polish laws to judge it (it is possible for them, to do so, right?) or decide WOTC should contact a polish court (this is even more possible) WOTC doesn't get anything...

Except...

They posted a good reason for:

Ditching rpgnow, dtrpg. less competition when they will sell stuff with DDI, better deals.
No more 3E and 3.5E sales, so those supplements and Pathfinder RPG won't be an alternative to 4E, and if there are many players who want to keep 3E trying to force them to 4E seems to be a way to sell more 4E products later.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
And also torrent software isn't just for pirating. Yesterday I downloaded a copy of Linux that was delivered by a torrent file. I had to go get a copy of utorrent.
Also fair enough. There are certainly some excellent reasons to have torrenting software. I went and edited my original snarky post once I considered it. Really, either way, it's not my job to judge.

Alnag

First Post
That act of making a copy is (at least arguably) going beyond the rights to the intellectual property given when the pdf was purchased. So both the person 'lending' and the person 'borrowing' are (technically) in breach of the copyright of the rights-owner.

This is really arguable. If I copy my PDF from hard drive of my old computer to my new computer I've made a copy. So am I breaching copyright of the rights-owner? If yes, than we are all screwed!

If no... than I can legally copy the PDF file in question to flashdrive. Than borrow the flashdrive to someone. Who can than read the file. Is borrowing the flashdrive illegal? Hardly. Is letting someone read the file illegal? In which case? If he is reading it on our computer? Or from our flashdrive on his computer? Etc.

If all is still all right and we borrow the flashdrive to someone. Can he copy the file in question from the flashdrive to his hard drive? Maybe not. But can we be made responsible for such actions? I guess no.

Information wants to be free. It can't be caged. You can try... but you can't win. It is the principle of the world.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
For what it's worth, there's a lot of Professor Cirnos out there who arn't me.

I had to change my name from Dr. Awkward because the ENWorld system confused me with dr awkward after they switched to ENWorld 2.

I could decide to call myself Al Gore, but that doesn't mean I'll get paid to hit the lecture circuit and talk about the weather.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Regarding this case i just had a look at the Pirate Bay trial and it was really funny to see how american lawyers started bringing new evidence to the court like pulling out a bunny from there hats and just failing at the "Uhhhh new evidence" effect because of not knowing the laws of the country. I hope wotc prepares wiser than the movie industry. ^^

A bit off topic, but I have to point out that those weren't American lawyers. They were Swedish lawyers in the employ of the IFPI, which is Europe's RIAA. They had to have known that bringing new evidence after discovery had concluded would not be permitted by the judge. But they did it anyway, for reasons that remain obscure.

Silenttimo

First Post
This all story is really complex.

When there was nothing "virtual", I could lend a book, a video-tape, music-tape, CD, RPG book to anyone close (friend, family), and this was not illegal UNLESS I would lend those items and being paid for it, or had to pay to borrow those items.
The same was for borrowing something from a friend.

The thing is, when I had lent something to (or borrowed from) a friend, ONLY ONE of us could watch / read / listen.

But even with the internet, if you were to lend such an item, you can not be sure that the book won't be xeroxed or scanned, the CD, tape, DVD won't be copied, and then, put on emule, torrent, etc...

The thing, with pdf, is that you could imagine having bought a .pdf (or a VOD, or a mp3) product and lend it (lending a copy), and you could still have accesse to your own file.
But if you have legally bought it. Do we have to consider it a crime ?

I would say that if you lend a pdf to ONE person at a time (and if you are sure the previous one has erased the file), it is no crime.
But how can you be sure ?

Have you never heard of someone everyone trusted to be dishonnest after all (Madoff could be an example at a large scale, but there are so many such "little"examples) ?
Have you never heard of family stories when, the parents gone, relationships between brothers and sisters went awry about the money left ?

So, could you swear, about someone you know very very well, that if he'd ever do something you consider impossible for him to do and dishonest according to your own values, you'd immediately kill yourself ?

I think that the thing that this person should not have done is sharing with several persons (including under 18) a pdf.
However, I guess that nobody could blame if for lending his pdf to ONE person and printing his pdf so that others could also read the book of rules.

There are also 2 things I really think :
- RPG is a bit of a "bourgeois" hobby : you need money to buy books, minis, dice (and so on) that could be wasted elsewhere if you are very short on money (I can borrow a book at a public library, but I can not play if I don't find at least 1-2 persons around the table that have the core rule books). I guess it needs to be clear : there are poor people playing RPG, but you do not find lots of RPGers in Africa, most of small central America states, lots of asian countries, and even in Europe or North America, most of the people playing come from an above average social & money family (not all, but most) ;
- there is a kind of hypocrisis around here : I would like everyone criticizing this polish guy SWEARING (upon his holy texts and family) that he/she has NEVER downloaded afile (movie, music or book...) AND never copied a file (DVD, CD, mp3, ..., that were lent and not bought previously) AND has NEVER used an illegal pdf/mp3/video/music file.

I consider myself as an honest person :
- We have (wife & I) lots of books (RPG or not, D&D RPG being ODD, D&D, AD&D 1 & 2, D&D 3.0, 3.5 and D&D 4E, TSR/WOTC or other publisher), CD's, DVD's,
- We have NEVER downloaded illegal material (be it music, movie or book) since we do not like that, and I like to collect "solid" stuff,
- We own more than 250 RPG adventures / box / books / other various material and maybe more than that (second hand or new) [technically I do own them since she doesn't play], more than 600 "bought" CD's and maybe more than that (likewise) , more than 700 DVD's and maybe more than that (likewise) and more than 300 various art books / pocket books / comics (mostly "european" comic books) and maybe more than that (likewise),
- HOWEVER : I know that we own about 12-15 copied CD's (I guess about 2% of all our CD's, anyway that is illegal ; no copied DVD's though ; at least 8-10 of those copied CD's would be bought by us if we could find them at a reasonnable price though), I know that I do own a CD-rom with about 6-7 adventures from a publisher that were bought by someone else but he copied them for me since I could not find them (but I am still looking to BUY them if I find them for a reasonnable price).

So, even being honest (I guess, and my friends consider me as an honest man), having bought so much items & products, I could not swear being TOTALLY on the "good" side of the fence between legal/illegal.

OK, now for something completely different (sorry to leave the trail) :

Think about this (regarding CD's and DVD's) : you buy an item, you are told it is a great product, you then happen to know this product won't last more than 8-10-12 years (nobody can really tell).
I feel that if in several years, I had to buy everything again, this would be dishonest from the entertainment major companies, even stealing my money : I know people who have 30-40 years old vynil discs, I own books that are 80-90 years old, and now, I am told nothing will last more than a decade ?
Moreover, maybe there won't be any player capable of reading my DVD's ?

If I chose to download every movie I have on DVD, (and only those) because I paid for them and I want to still be able to watch them in a few years, would I be a pirat, a stealer, dishonest ?

If I chose not to, but found that my DVD's are "dead" in 5 years, what would you think ?

Who is stealing in that case ?

Remove ads