D&D 4E My One Hope for 4E

Weregrognard

First Post
My one hope for 4E is the "campaign promise" that it will be easier to DM and, more importantly, easier to prepare for. What this means to me is that all my OD&D, 1e, 2e, and 3e material will become a lot more accessible. I gave up on using previous edition material with my 3.5 games because it meant more work in addition to the already substantial work of preparing for a game. Somehow, I think it will be different with this edition, even if the systems, and yes, the flavor are wildly different. After all, did the flavor text in the 3.5 PHB about elves having dark hair stop anyone from playing light-haired elves?

Thoughts? What are your hopes for the new edition?

Blackwind

Explorer
My hopes are similar to the OP's. 1. I want 4E to be easier and more fun to DM. That includes less prep time. 2. I want 4E to be easier to teach to new gamers.

If Wizards can deliver in these two areas, not only will they have made me really happy, but they will have ensured a future for the game.

Cyronax

Explorer
From what we've heard, it sounds like that's the direction that we're moving.

Having no prerequisites for feats will make the game faster.

I can't remember how many times I've had to tell a player to redo their character in the groups I DM for because they forgot that Weapon Finesse had a BAB +1 Req. Or some example like that.

C.I.D.

ivocaliban

First Post
Yes.

This is the only aspect of 4e that really intices me. If WotC delivers on this promise I will reconsider purchasing 4e in a year or two. While making my life as a DM easier is an important factor for me, I intend to wait for solid feedback and a variety of supplemental material before I even consider switching editions.

mhensley

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
That orcs have green skin so I can use my Games Workshop Orcs without guilt again.

This is a flavor change I can 100% agree with. Goblins should be green too.

See how much better they look in green-

379692076_3c3607aea9.jpg

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
...wouldn't a grey ink wash convert GW orcs into D&D orcs?
I mean, if you have Games Workshop minis, you know how to do stuff like that (I assume; there can't be that many Candlewax Terminators* running around).

Or, ya know, "Orcs from the mountains are grey. These orcs here are green." I hear pigment variation isn't that uncommon. :D

* A friend who loves 40K but hates painting put together a Dark Angels army by dipping the minis in dark green paint (might have even been house paint) and letting them dry, because store regulations say minis must be "painted", not "painted well". :D

Mercule

Adventurer
Quicker prep time -- tools (i.e. monster roles) and stats that make adventure planning/creation easier while also making it easier for me to do stuff on the fly, should my players wander into the tall corn.

But, I demand that these do not come at the cost of making the game feel more wargamey or video gamey. This isn't a rant about any perceptions I have of 4E being too influenced by WoW -- I don't know what they have planned. I'm just saying that I want room for a strong element of role-playing, rather than tools and tips to set up what amounts to dungeon-based DDM skirmishes.

Gundark

Explorer
Androlphas said:
My one hope for 4E is the "campaign promise" that it will be easier to DM and, more importantly, easier to prepare for. What this means to me is that all my OD&D, 1e, 2e, and 3e material will become a lot more accessible. I gave up on using previous edition material with my 3.5 games because it meant more work in addition to the already substantial work of preparing for a game.

Thoughts? What are your hopes for the new edition?

When you boil it all down, this is what I hope for too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases