my players told me what they want in a rpg for the next campaign

Doctor Atomic

Villager
I am bringing my Fantasy AGE campaign to a close and my players told me the features they were looking for in the next game.

1) Mages are fun and do not follow the Clod to God D&D model where they start out useless and weak and along the way suddenly become the most powerful class on the board.

2) Fighters and Rogues have more to do in combat than just roll for hit and damage. My players are looking for a game where the non casters have combat abilities that make for interesting game play.

3) The game uses regular dice, no gimmicks like cards or whatever.

Does anyone know of a game like this?

I'm not familiar with a lot of newer systems, but I have a couple sugestions.

You could try Hero System's Fantasy Hero. The point-based system in the basic rules can be used to allow players to build and buy special moves and abilities for their characters, if you want, rather than just Stats, Skills, and Combat Levels. Mages buy their spells the same way, so there's a balance between casters and non-casters. My experience, at least with 4th Edition, though, is that damage across the board gets a little same-same. ie Warriors sword does 2d6. Mage's fire-bolt does 2d6. I have heard that later editions up the point totals for builds, however, so you can get more customization.

Also, there is Earthdawn. I don't know about later Editions, but I play-tested 1st Edition and can't imagine that the basic core elements have changed. All the classes have special abilities that they get each level, so even classes traditionally non-caster have thing they can do besides slash and stab. The game is tied to the in-game world, though, so using it with your own home-brew world might take a little work.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I am bringing my Fantasy AGE campaign to a close and my players told me the features they were looking for in the next game.

1) Mages are fun and do not follow the Clod to God D&D model where they start out useless and weak and along the way suddenly become the most powerful class on the board.

2) Fighters and Rogues have more to do in combat than just roll for hit and damage. My players are looking for a game where the non casters have combat abilities that make for interesting game play.

3) The game uses regular dice, no gimmicks like cards or whatever.

Does anyone know of a game like this?
Have you tried D&D 4e?

Nagol

Unimportant
I like the Hero system, but it can be an awful lot of work for the GM to set up (or not depending on how much of a personal touch/vision you have for the campaign). Character design is the hardest part for players, running the game is pretty straightforward on both sides of the screen.

Other games that fit:

Dungeon world.
13th age

Doctor Atomic

Villager
Thanks for the replies.

I ran an Earthdawn 1 campaign a long time ago, it was an interesting system. I'll offer that and Fantasy Hero as suggestions. Is there a preferred version?

I played 4e many years ago and liked it as a player. I was looking at it the other day and it seemed like it would be a lot of work to DM (from my cursory inspection).

I don't know anything about Dungeon World or 13th Age, I will do a bit of research.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'd also rec Fantasy Hero if you've handled Hero System before. Not exactly quick to pick up.
I played 4e many years ago and liked it as a player. I was looking at it the other day and it seemed like it would be a lot of work to DM (from my cursory inspection).
Easiest version of D&D to run, least-distorted class balance & advancement, so mages & fighters/Rogue's perform the way you want.
I've run a lot if D&D over the decades, and largely stopped doing prep in the 2e era, too much trouble for the payoff, just as lib.
3e I tried prepping, huge amount if work for a return you couldn't even count on. Ultimately played rather than ran as much as possible.

4e I played a bit, didn't try to run, then did an impromptu pick-up game: 5 min prep, just picking same-level monsters - radically re-skinned one - 4 encounyers, good for several hours of fun. It was quite the eye-opener. Ran it for years after that. By the time 5e came out, and I started running that I realized "hey, I've gotten a little /lazy/ as a DM..."

But, if even one of your players is a closet "h4ter," it's not even worth bringing it up.

I don't know anything about Dungeon World or 13th Age, I will do a bit of research.
13th Age is a pretty neat, D&D-style frpg, like a very talented cover band that also does their own stuff.
It's tone is conversational, so it's easy to get through. It's not exactly carefree to run at the table but there's a remarkable adventure for it: Eyes of the Stone Thief
Downside is that, while the Rogue is remarkably engaging, you don't even really need to be at the table to play a fighter - you get 'maneuvers,' and the dice tell you which one you do.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I'd also rec Fantasy Hero if you've handled Hero System before. Not exactly quick to pick up.
Easiest version of D&D to run, least-distorted class balance & advancement, so mages & fighters/Rogue's perform the way you want.
I've run a lot if D&D over the decades, and largely stopped doing prep in the 2e era, too much trouble for the payoff, just as lib.
3e I tried prepping, huge amount if work for a return you couldn't even count on. Ultimately played rather than ran as much as possible.

4e I played a bit, didn't try to run, then did an impromptu pick-up game 5 min prep, just picking same-level monsters - radically re-skinned one - 4 encounyers, good for several hours of fun. It was quite the eye-opener.

But, if even one of your players is a closet "h4ter" not even worth bringing it up.

13th Age is a pretty neat, D&D-style frpg, like a very talented cover band that also does their own stuff.
It's done his conversational, so it's easy to get through. It's not exactly carefree to run at the table but there's a remarkable adventure for it: Eyes of the Stone Thief

4Es not the easiest but might fit the criteria laid out in the OP.

13th age might also fit if the OP thinks it's to much work.

S'mon

Legend
4e D&D is an exact fit, but if you don't want 4e then 5e D&D is close enough as makes no difference, and more flexible in what it can handle. Start at 3rd level if you don't want any whiff of zero-ness. Level 1 5e characters have relatively few abilities & are very squishy.

My copy of 13th Age arriving tomorrow!

shawnhcorey

wizard
There's always GURPS. You can get a taste of it by downloading the free GURPS Lite.

GURPS is a point-buy system. Characters can mix and match advantages, disadvantages, and skills to their heart's content. In GURPS, spells are skills. A beginning character can have more than one spell. And GURPS uses only 6-sided dice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases