My players want to buy an Inn.

cleverkobold

First Post
The local mob demand a small monthly payment for protection, the payment is small. Then prohibition, business drops, cant pay th mob, the mob gets angry.

NotZenon

Explorer
i would make up a list of possible "events" and roll on that list say once a game week (or month) or something. If the players are away on some adventure you could roll on that list a couple times to see what happened while they've been away. If the players still plan on adventuring they will need to hire someone to run the Inn while they are gone.

These events can be a mix of random stuff that might happen in a normal inn (good and bad), stuff that helps immerse the characters into the local culture/area and meet local NPC's, and stuff that hints at or moves the plot along, and stuff that can lead to side quests. The trick to making it seem realistic is most of the stuff should be stuff that would happen in an Inn on a regular-ish basis. Don't bore them with the details of everyday events, but Some of the events could merely be things that test the PC's managerial skills, which will in turn allow them to succeed or fail.

some ideas:

-perhaps a local band of thugs has begun to see their Inn as a favorite "hang out" or drinking area. This could lead to all sorts of options, perhaps a bar fight, or an introduction to the local crime lord, or theives guild.

-perhaps one of the other Inn owners doesn't like the PC's moving in on his "territory" and begins to subtly sabotage them.

-One of the employees that the players have grown attached to may have gotten in trouble with the law, or perhaps they are being framed!

-a recent shipment of Ale has turned sour, or keeps arriving really late. Or maybe the Manager they hired ordered to much food or beer, and the players have to sell it at a discount before it goes bad.

If you have a good list of events made up, then you will only have to write up one or two new events or possibilities per game session after that, depending on what you roll. Many of the events can be variations on each other.

My personal advice is to let the Inn be an entertaining side plot, but don't let it take over unless the PC's really aren't that interested in going out on regular adventures.

*edit = on looking back on the thread i realize most of what i said has already be touched on!*

Last edited:

A fun plot to have roll into town is...prohibition.

Have a new priest take over the primary local religion whose sect preaches on the evils of alcohol. Spreading influence into town council and the upper echelons of society. Laws get passed outlawing alcohol consumption in the town and region.

As tavern owners, the PCs may get wind of it before hand and have time to oppose the priests influence, or may be ignorant and find out when the town guard burst in to take axes to their kegs.

The priest is Lawful Good. Most parties are going to have a hard time opposing him. Since the Law of the Land is now directly opposed to their business, they will definately be having an interesting few sessions.

Actually it sounds like why the alignment concept is quite flawed. It allows for those of good alignment "especially npcs" to be pricks with no repercussion to their action.

It would also look very odd. Most end games are in a pseudo medieval setting where 90% plus outside the Muslim world drank alcohol. It was the only thing to do with excess grain before it spoiled. Your lg cleric would run afoul of every hardworking farmer, merchant, the clerics of the gods of drink and harvest, etc etc. The problems faced by the tavern owning players would be small potatoes.

Sigurd

First Post
In a medieval setting their would be great sickness without beer.

Brewing was seen as an improvement on water. Beer is clean compared to river water - the small amount of alcohol kills bacteria and its full of vitamin B. Small beer, the beer made from largely spent grains after the most potent stuff is poured off, was reserved as food for the sick and infirm.

Prohibition would be even more unsuccessful in a medieval setting.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
If the PCs want to buy an inn, make sure you create some interesting NPC characters to frequent the place - locals, employees and travelers.

Think "I'm Larius, this is my brother Darius, this is my other brother Darius." B-)

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
mob comes in, no one likes the mob, they ask for protection money, and have large weapons and clearly know how to use them, therefore you have to, or the manager has to, pay the mob for the time being, then the PCs can try to get rid of the mob, or maybe the mob patrons would be fine and not cause trouble, only ask for a miniscule payment once in a while and the PCs have no problem with them, as long as they keep the city guard out of their hair and don't screw up what they happen to be doing from time to time.

having them there can actually be a good thing, depending on how rowdy and destructive they are, because for example, if one gang is in an area, usually you don't get other ones around unless they are fighting, so the mob would keep out your other rougher people, at least those in larger crime organisations, maybe the mob would respect the PCs, and behave themselves, and then ask the PCs for help in a large conflict with a rival mob half a mile away. just a thought, it doesn't fit your average view of crime syndicate, but it can happen.

Last edited:

TorintheBadger

First Post
Could someone please tell me where to find the DMG II for 3.5 on the internet? After viewing this thread, I really think I could use it. My characters have mused about buying a boat and using it for trade for a bit of profit, and I had to write my own "Merchants Guild Trading system" from scratch ( a 4 page work).

Please for the Gods' sake help me so I don't have to do this every time they decide to become entrepreneurs!

cattoy

First Post
A bunch of apprentice scribes start using one of the corner tables to play some sort of game where they pretend to be adventurers and they barely buy any drinks or food.

TorintheBadger

First Post
A bunch of apprentice scribes start using one of the corner tables to play some sort of game where they pretend to be adventurers and they barely buy any drinks or food.

My players always want to play D&D in D&D. I went with it one time, and we ended up playing 4 dimensions of D&D (a game in a game in a game in a game).

Remove ads