• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
What we should really do is cut out the subraces. If we're cuttiing out the ability score bonuses they're somewhat redundant anyway as they mostly exist to spread around that extra point or two. Furthermore, if lots of people are playing non PHB races anyway, then the distinction between Mountain Dwarf and Hill Dwarf or Prairie Elfs and Transitional-Taiga-Tundra-zone Elf becomes even less important.

So we cut down the page count of each race and have 25 races in the PHB. Perhaps even suggest some themes for world building.

Classic: Greyhawk AD&D races
Fallen World: Nentir Vale
Gothic: Dragonlance
Magepunk: Eberron.
on what planet is Dragonlance gothic?

I think they got a boost from being in "free DLC" in 2015 and then gradually faded as more options became available. They went through a phase of popularity during 3rd edition as well.
Makes sense, thanks. In which case I take back anything I've said about the popularity of the Aaracroka, being a distant third of the three EEPC races. And they'd have gone through a phase in 2017 because that's when D&D Beyond started.

Interesting, or perhaps not, that they fell off harder than Goliaths; thematically they're in a very similar place to high elves as The Magical Humanioids. But High Elves don't have the baggage of Half-Orcs.

Makes sense, thanks. In which case I take back anything I've said about the popularity of the Aaracroka, being a distant third of the three EEPC races. And they'd have gone through a phase in 2017 because that's when D&D Beyond started.

Interesting, or perhaps not, that they fell off harder than Goliaths; thematically they're in a very similar place to high elves as The Magical Humanioids. But High Elves don't have the baggage of Half-Orcs.
I think there was a critical role character that was a Goliath, which, if so would probably explain why they've lingered in people's consciousness.

Last edited:

I think there was a critical role character that was a Goliath, which, if so would probably explain why they've lingered in people's consciousness.
Vox Machina certainly had one - but that campaign ended in 2017. The more recent campaign with the Mighty Nein I don't think did - and did have a half-orc.

Hussar

Legend
Really? Putting people's comments aside, I find that implausible on a purely statistical basis. I absolutely loathe elves for example. People naturally have likes and dislikes, and they don't have to have any reason for them.
Let me rephrase. No one here has stated that they dislike halflings in the game. Lots of folks have accused others of disliking them, but, no one, at least not in the last thirty pages or so, has outright said that they dislike halflings.

Again, they'd actually have to appear anywhere to dislike them. Being mentioned a half dozen times in book after book after book? Yeah, no one really cares about halflings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads