• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaarel

He Mage
Where to begin? The two big ones are:
  1. The evil subrace of elves just happens to have black skin. This is made more cringeworthy by the fact that the normal consequences for living underground would be going extremely pale.
  2. Menzobarranzan reads like it was written by a mix of a man only typing with their left hand and a man going through a messy divorce
1. Seriously.

2. I feel Gygax is genuinely a creative artist, who tapped into and revealed emerging cultural archetypes. He did the job of an artist. It is a kind of dream conflation that reveals where the culture was at in his day.

Black people becoming important. Woman gaining leadership roles. And so on. D&D is a safe play space to "play" around with such new themes.

Yeah, there was the Evil problem, and the "curse" of being black. But perhaps that too enhance the popularity of players wanting to be Drow.

So, we today have to see if the Drow archetype is interesting to us. WotC is rethinking them. We will see how it goes.

1. Seriously.

2. I feel Gygax is genuinely a creative artist, who tapped into and revealed emerging cultural archetypes. He did the job of an artist. It is a kind of dream conflation that reveals where the culture was at in his day.

Black people becoming important. Woman gaining leadership roles. And so on. D&D is a safe play space to "play" around with such new themes.

Yeah, there was the Evil problem, and the "curse" of being black. But perhaps that too enhance the popularity of players wanting to be Drow.

So, we today have to see if the Drow archetype is interesting to us. WotC is rethinking them. We will see how it goes.
Honestly, I may be just one data point, but I always replace Drow with something else.

If I want evil elves there's much better options like Kobld Press's Shadow Fey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads