D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I think its moreso the problem is at the root. You change them enough to make them stand out and, they won't be Halflings any more

Halflings have been defined by being "The Regular Short Race". They can't delve into magic, because the gnomes have their hands all over that. Martial and more conflict? That's the way of the Dwarf. Unfortunately Halflings hit their niche head on but, its a very tiny niche, compared to what every other main race has. In addition, unlike gnomes or dwarves who have mythology to draw on, halflings are sort of stuck in being, well, hobbits.

As much grief as I give Dragonlance, it at least had the right idea trying something with them by going the Kender route, and there's a reason the idea of the Halfling Mafioso is a reoccuring one out there (It works really well with what they've got), but the halfling may have been doomed to be stuck in a rutt by the very niche it fills
I think that might be part of why I dislike them, they also do not attach themselves easily to any of the big things in the settings, kobolds becoming little dragons changed them for week goblins to something with a reason and things to inspire it.

I think its moreso the problem is at the root. You change them enough to make them stand out and, they won't be Halflings any more

Halflings have been defined by being "The Regular Short Race". They can't delve into magic, because the gnomes have their hands all over that. Martial and more conflict? That's the way of the Dwarf. Unfortunately Halflings hit their niche head on but, its a very tiny niche, compared to what every other main race has. In addition, unlike gnomes or dwarves who have mythology to draw on, halflings are sort of stuck in being, well, hobbits.

As much grief as I give Dragonlance, it at least had the right idea trying something with them by going the Kender route, and there's a reason the idea of the Halfling Mafioso is a reoccuring one out there (It works really well with what they've got), but the halfling may have been doomed to be stuck in a rutt by the very niche it fills
Then again, I don't think 'like halflings, except with a little bit of magic' is a particularly strong niche for an entire species. Sure, as a subspecies/culture it makes sense. Gnomes could easily be a subgroup of halflings without either losing their flavour.

Mind of tempest

Then again, I don't think 'like halflings, except with a little bit of magic' is a particularly strong niche for an entire species. Sure, as a subspecies/culture it makes sense. Gnomes could easily be a subgroup of halflings without either losing their flavour.
both are pretty weak concepts they could be both subraces of something with more to work with.

Mind of tempest

What's that something?
that I do not know, it is a hypertechnical, not a name and description but it is small human-like and has multiple adapted forms given the difference between gnomes and halflings most likely It changes with ambient energy, gnome having to do with the fae lands, a shadow fell adapted one would be all most undead but not, and so on.
would need to tie it into something bigger.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
That's not what gnomes are though.

They're the little magical people. They're the ones living in trees, with villages you walk through, talking to animals and having a far more down to earth version of handling problems than elves and their "Insert arrow into offending party" mindset. Elves shoot problems, gnomes get a bunch of animals together and solve it

Coincidentally, they're also the inventive race and are likely to have crazy nonsense which also makes them the anti-kobold, the fun inventors as opposed to the trapmakers. It took time but gnomes do have their rough niches these days that you can't pass to other folks. Can't see Halflings talking to animals or making giant, mechanical flying cities that they fly biplanes from.

To make it really thick, halflings are passive, whereas gnomes are active.

Putting gnomes in Halflings would lose so much of their flavour you'd argue why they're there, because trying to fit even the most basic gnomish things in there would be so far off what literately every halfling is doing. Putting halflings into gnomes though, and while some flavour is lost, a lot less is lost than the other way around. The gnomish idea encompasses so much more than the halfling idea and, ties back to the halfling's origins as magical little people from beneath the mounds.

That's not what gnomes are though.
As opposed to holes on the hills? Doesn't sound different.

They're the little magical people. They're the ones living in trees, with villages you walk through, talking to animals and having a far more down to earth version of handling problems than elves and their "Insert arrow into offending party" mindset. Elves shoot problems, gnomes get a bunch of animals together and solve it
Yeah, still sounds like something a halfling could do. Halflings definitely could use animal sidekicks, my favourite halfling character had a pet squirrel.

Coincidentally, they're also the inventive race and are likely to have crazy nonsense which also makes them the anti-kobold, the fun inventors as opposed to the trapmakers. It took time but gnomes do have their rough niches these days that you can't pass to other folks. Can't see Halflings talking to animals or making giant, mechanical flying cities that they fly biplanes from.
I can't see faerieish nature being that talks to animals and crazy clockwork engineer to be part of the same niche to begin with. The former could feywild influenced halflings and the latter to dwarfs to make them less one note (The dwarfs are the actual boring and pointless classic fantasy option, not the halflings!)

To make it really thick, halflings are passive, whereas gnomes are active.
Super had disagree. Halflings are not just hobbits. D&D halflings have quite a bit of kender genes, making them adventurous and inquisitive. Hell, if we want to keep the crazy clockwork mad scientists in this family, certainly it would make perfect sense for curious and fearless halflings to develop such an tradition

Putting gnomes in Halflings would lose so much of their flavour you'd argue why they're there, because trying to fit even the most basic gnomish things in there would be so far off what literately every halfling is doing. Putting halflings into gnomes though, and while some flavour is lost, a lot less is lost than the other way around. The gnomish idea encompasses so much more than the halfling idea and, ties back to the halfling's origins as magical little people from beneath the mounds.
Ultimately it doesn't matter if halflings are a subgroup of gnomes or gnomes are a subgroup of halflings. That's just nomenclature. Bottom line being that they should be the same group.

Mind of tempest

As opposed to holes on the hills? Doesn't sound different.

Yeah, still sounds like something a halfling could do. Halflings definitely could use animal sidekicks, my favourite halfling character had a pet squirrel.

I can't see faerieish nature being that talks to animals and crazy clockwork engineer to be part of the same niche to begin with. The former could feywild influenced halflings and the latter to dwarfs to make them less one note (The dwarfs are the actual boring and pointless classic fantasy option, not the halflings!)

Super had disagree. Halflings are not just hobbits. D&D halflings have quite a bit of kender genes, making them adventurous and inquisitive. Hell, if we want to keep the crazy clockwork mad scientists in this family, certainly it would make perfect sense for curious and fearless halflings to develop such an tradition

Ultimately it doesn't matter if halflings are a subgroup of gnomes or gnomes are a subgroup of halflings. That's just nomenclature. Bottom line being that they should be the same group.
hence my consideration that something bigger be made to fit the halfling and gnomes in, I would disagree with you on dwarves being the only one note race out of the classic demi-humans.

hence my consideration that something bigger be made to fit the halfling and gnomes in,
But that’s just semantics. And I doubt they would be better received if you gave this grouping some new made up name.
I would disagree with you on dwarves being the only one note race out of the classic demi-humans.
Not only but most one note. Once you’ve seen one dwarf you’ve seen all of them.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I have no problem with halflings but no one plays them in my games. Only one player in 41 years actually played an halfling. I'm the only one who played a gnome (1e illusionist-thief). Dwarves have been played more since the LoTR movies. Elves, half-elves and humans have always been the most popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads