D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oofta

Legend
Y'know, as much as I adore cats in real life, I think I would actually prefer playing a canid. It's really weird that none of the various canid races ever really caught on outside of Mystara.
Yeah, I have a cat on my lap right now (demanding attention) but I've never really had the desire to play a tabaxi. Maybe because I just can't bring myself to play an evil PC. :unsure:

Hussar

Legend
Comes in waving a flag of truce

Not arguing or anything. Just happened to be noodling around and found this piece and thought it was a REALLY cool halfling:

Loyal Warhound by Dmitri Burmak

1626824372038.png

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
1) hyenas are neither cats nor dogs. Hyenas would be closer to cats anyways.

2) I still dream of a proper D&D 4X or strategy video game and wonder would the halfling faction would field.

RaceMelee InfantryRanged InfantryCavalry Other
DragonbornGreatswordsSorcerersDrake Rider????
DwarfAxedwarfCrossbowdwarfScrew mounts Hammerdwarf!Defender
ElfSwordselfBowelfUnicorn Rider?Bladesinger
HalflingBounderSlinger????????
HumanPikemanCrossbowmanKnightsPaladins
OrcGreataxesJaveliner???Berserker
GnomeBreechgnomeCatapults???Illusionists

Hussar

Legend
A lot of people go with ponies for their Halfling cavalry. Which is fine. Especially for chariot cavalry.

OTOH, imagine Halflings riding tibetan mastiffs (90-115kg).
Yeah, I could very much see dog cavalry for halflings. IIRC, I actually played a halfling paladin for a while back in 3e to take advantage of all the lance cheese I could. Small character on medium mount actually fits REALLY well in pretty much any campaign in the way that a medium character on a large mount really doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads