• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My problem.

Summer-Knight925

First Post
Having been playing table top games since the age of 6, it is all I know.

Just like a kid who was raised on football or baseball, I want to be a professional in the game world.

So how is this a problem?

I can sit around all day and crank out setting after setting. Anything from fantasy, to steampunk, to a space opera to even a 'sorta-post-apocalyptic-superhero-setting'

But I have a lot of trouble with mechanics for games.

Any one have ideas of how I can get better at working out mechanics?

Stormonu

Legend
I have the same issue. Stories are no problems. Mechanics give me fits and my players ulcers (when I spring homebrew stuff on them, that is).

Have you ever tried something like sitting down and decompiling 4E - take it apart, figure out how the mechanics work? It's the system I've seen that's done the most to expose its inner workings.

The biggest thing I can say is build your mechanics and playtest them away from your normal game. Run a mock combat or scene - with someone else running what you've built. Seriously. Running it yourself, you are likely to gloss over details or not think of something some else immediately notices.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Two things about writing rpg mechanics:

*It's a really difficult skill, and
*Most professionals in the field aren't that good at it either.

There really isn't a "book" on rpg design; there's very little theory or academic backing and very little professional training. RPGs are open-ended and lack clear goals or outcomes and are used in an astonishing and unpredictable variety of styles. The best thing is to learn by doing; just start hacking some stuff up, put it out there, listen to feedback, critically evaluate it yourself.

As with so many things in life, the bar is probably higher in your head than it is in reality. Just go for it!

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Like yourself, I too am a very creative person with great skill at weaving interesting tales for use in RPG games and settings.

My Solution...

I do happen to have the talent, skill and experience to create publishable hand-drawn maps, which I've gotten many commissions over the last several years from publishers like Paizo Publishing, Iron Crown Enterprises, Dog House Rulez and ProFantasy software - so my artistic chops have gotten me into the industry.

I've wanted to develop and design my own game material, so with mapping getting my foot in various publisher's doors, I've made an effort to learn from the professional freelancers they work with and learn as I go. While I've had some system mastery of 3x/Pathfinder, I've only learned how to be better by working with capable author/designers like Jonathan McAnulty, Trevor Gulliver, Will McCardill and many others. So am getting those mechanical design skills over the last couple of years.

I know you were discussing the skills of the GM at a game table and not as a freelancer for the publishers, but it's working as a freelancer that is teaching all the skills I need to complete my total design understanding of games. Working with publishers is an education unto itself.

Because I've learned game design/development skills from freelancers and publishers, I now play a better game at the table as a GM.

Here's a link to my portfolio (more or less) thread here at ENWorld to see my skills at cartography. And of course I regularly post thread and thread responses regarding my Kaidan, Japanese horror setting (PFRPG) - what I use to apply the mechanical lessons I learn.

Last edited:

scourger

Explorer
Assuming you are talking about writing for role-playing games, the way to develop skills with rules systems is to read, play & run them. And pick a simple, current system.

I put read it first because I think a lot of gamers skip that step or only refer to rules when & as needed. Over the years, I have gained many insights into different games by actually reading them. Reading the 3e Players Handbook cover-to-cover, for example, gave me remarkable insight into how the entire d20 rules system worked together.

Next, play & run RPGs. You can do it in either order, but it probably makes sense to play first and then DM/GM/judge.

Lastly, select a system that is both current & simple. I think Savage Worlds or Dungeon Crawl Classics fit the bill there. Those games offer rules flexibility for GMs that translates into accessibility for writers & third party publishers. Put another way, a GM can "hand waive" things for the foes that then allows the same flexibility to a writer of an adventure module. You still need to understand the underlying system, but you don't need a computer to calculate the foes. And, you might be able to partner with someone who does understand the rules well enough to those parts or to help you.

Summer-Knight925

First Post
Ironically, about 5 minutes after I posted this, I created a Horror RPG with the mechanics based on cards, not dice.

The GM has an entire deck of cards.
Each player has 2 complete suits (one suit red, one suit black)

Any time there is a conflict the GM pulls a card at random from his deck.

The player gets to decide which card of his he plays.

I probably shouldn't be just telling you the entire rules here....but I did.
Anyways.......

And that isnt the ENTIRE thing, but the core mechanic

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You're lucky in that you've chosen a profession with no barrier to entry - you can have a PDF selling on RPGNow tomorrow if you want.

jasper

Rotten DM
Take business classes especially accounting to help you with business side.
take Creative writing classes to improve your writing skills.

delericho

Legend
Any one have ideas of how I can get better at working out mechanics?

Four suggestions:

1) Team up with someone who's good with mechanics but poor on fluff.

2) Write system-neutral books.

3) Reuse an open system. I know the OGL opens up d20 (in D&D, d20 Modern, and Pathfinder flavours), and I think there is an equivalent mechanism for Savage Worlds.

4) As a last resort... practice makes perfect. As with most other things, a lot of hard, tedious work really getting to grips with systems, probabilities, and the like will probably see you through. Of course, I guess that's not all that much help. :)

Remove ads