• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E My Review of Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes is Live will also answer any questions

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I can't say I'm really a fan of this trend of the "unreliable narrator" for sourcebooks.

No version will satisfy everyone. If you present lore as ''absolute, definitive facts'', people will be up in arms about how WotC force their vision of D&D unto the customer. If you present the lore as if coming from unreliable narrator, people will be up in arms about how useless lore is if its just ''Dm may do whatever they want with this informations''.

Kendra Lawrence

First Post
No version will satisfy everyone. If you present lore as ''absolute, definitive facts'', people will be up in arms about how WotC force their vision of D&D unto the customer. If you present the lore as if coming from unreliable narrator, people will be up in arms about how useless lore is if its just ''Dm may do whatever they want with this informations''.

That's admittedly how I feel lol (what point are the sourcebooks and establishing anything if people are just going to do what they want, anyway?), so I guess I am one of those who is upset :p I understand taking bits and pieces, or doing things completely homebrew, but if you have an established setting, there should be some canon things about it, otherwise it isn't really an established setting, and D&D may as well be just a "this is how you play, here are some basic rules, now go," instead of creating whole worlds with a history, themes, cultures, etc for it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's admittedly how I feel lol (what point are the sourcebooks and establishing anything if people are just going to do what they want, anyway?), so I guess I am one of those who is upset I understand taking bits and pieces, or doing things completely homebrew, but if you have an established setting, there should be some canon things about it, otherwise it isn't really an established setting, and D&D may as well be just a "this is how you play, here are some basic rules, now go," instead of creating whole worlds with a history, themes, cultures, etc for it.
Tools in the toolbox, to be used or repurposed as needed.

Humans are humans lol.

Mostly I was joking. I would not want to see Earth race recreated. That would at best be pointless in terms of game mechanics (everyone has the same basic stats and bonuses) and at worst a terribly racist and sexist idea.

But this is a fantasy game - there are possibilities. I would be interesting to see the Eloi and Morlocks (of The Time Machine) explored, or magical Cybermen, or Atlantaens, and so forth. That said, it is probably the subject for a different book.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I wouldn't mind seeing some different humans. You could easily base various cultures off the variant human like they did in some of the planeshift settings.

Remove ads