My Table Rules (feel free to critique!)

Odhanan

Adventurer
Rhun said:
Um, what are the obvious reasons? I only ask because I've never had a problem with alcohol at a game session.
Same thing here. Are your players unable to participate in social drinking without getting wasted?

Shortman McLeod

First Post
Rhun said:
Um, what are the obvious reasons? I only ask because I've never had a problem with alcohol at a game session.

Do you need to ask? There are only two possibilities:

(1) They are living in a region where alcohol consumption is illegal, such as Saudi Arabia.

(2) They have this funny idea that drunkenness and D&D don't mix well.

Probably (2), is my guess.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I can understand the no drinking rule. One of my players likes to make martinis, and she occasionally gets tipsy to the point where she can't do the math with any kind of speed.

If everybody at the table was equally wasted, it'd be a party. :) But just one player is awkward...
-blarg

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Man...I can't imagine having a "code of conduct" codified so as to allow me to play a game with my friends.

Different strokes and all, but if I had to spell this kind of thing out to a group of people, they aren't folks I'd particularly want to hang around with.

"Respect Each Other" needs three seperate iterations to ensure people understand?

IamTheTest

First Post
I imagine the 'obvious' reasons for the no alcohol rule may stem from the age of the players? I dont mind booze at my table as long as the person drinking it isnt a putz.

cougent

First Post
Those who thought his was rather terse would absolutely HATE mine...

"Thou shalt NOT..." :p

Alcohol is tricky because my state has "Host Responsibility Laws". You drink at my house, then have a wreck on the way home, and I can be sued or charged as an accessory. I am not a prude and I like beer with pizza just like the next guy, but my standing policy is that if you drink, you spend the night. That protects both of us.

My tolerance stops at smoking though, I personally cannot stand it, it makes me sick. So no smoking. I know that eliminates some good people, but I don't have much "FUN" while being sick all night.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yikes!

If I was presented with something like one of these documents at the start of a game where I was playing with people I didn't already know, my eyebrows would go up. I mean, sure, respect etc. is fine, but if the attitude is such that it needs to be spelled out in that much detail I'd wonder about the DM and his-her gaming background. (also, as soon as I see anything about enforced party co-operation and being told what I can play in terms of characters I'm halfway out the door, but then I'm a let-'em-fight DM as well...)

If I was presented with something like this where the players and DM were already friends of mine the debate/argument would start immediately, probably over a beer or two. :)

I've never spelled any of this out to this kind of degree in my games, and hope I never have to; other than saying that quorum for a session is half the players and if you're not there those players who do turn up will play your character for you. (this usually works out just fine)

As for drinking at the game, I'm all for it. :) But then, we're all friends outside the game anyway, so there's little difference between sitting around in the pub drinking beer and telling tales and sitting around at home drinking beer and playing D+D. :)

Lanefan

Remove ads