My Undead Beholder mini (pic)

Gospog

First Post
Thanks to Tsunami for hosting the pic. Feedback always welcome.

beholder.jpg

Gospog

First Post
I just re-read my post and find myself asking "feedback on what?".

For those of you who have not read the "Miniatures Board Poll", I sculpted and painted this mini myself.

alsih2o

First Post
is this a "true" mini gospog? by that i mean is it the standard 1" =5'? how about some tips on techniques you used?

i think it is pretty groovemous

Gospog

First Post
Yes, this mini is on scale (28 mm scale, actually).

It is a little smaller than an actual Beholder might look, because it is undead, and just a skull. The Beholders' flesh would add some circumference, I believe.

I used kneadtite epoxy (plumbers' putty) to sculpt this miniature over a wire frame. (copper wire)

The eyestalks were sculpted seperately, and then "plugged in" later.

The teeth were perhaps the hardest part, as each one eneeded a wire support under it. Very fiddly work, that.

Kengar, that's a neat Roper.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

kengar

First Post
Kengar, that's a neat Roper.

Thanks. Was actually a pretty slapdash effort compared to your undead beholder (which is AWESOME, btw!). I did try to keep mine to 25mm scale. Next to a regular mini, Ugly here = 9.5 ft. tall & 4' diameter (almost 2" tall & just under 1" dia.). (The "strands" <> 50' tho ;) )

How'd you get the Eyeballs so perfect, Gospog???

alsih2o

First Post
would you guys mind reposting these in my thread titled "homade miniatures"?

maybe we can get a nice little collection going!

btw there is a nice "workshop" section over at dragonrune.com

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Gospog said:
I just re-read my post and find myself asking "feedback on what?".

For those of you who have not read the "Miniatures Board Poll", I sculpted and painted this mini myself.

It looks fantastic! :)

Crypt King

First Post
I posted in that thread, that I'm working on a Grell, using Sculpty. Ever since I saw the one on the Phaerim a while back, I've had the irkling to make some custom figures they don't have.

Gospog

First Post
Kengar,
The eyes are just little balls of putty. I had to be careful to let the eye socket dry totally before attaching the wet eyeball to it. When the putty is wet, you have to be careful what kind of pressure you put on it.

alsih20,
I'll take a look for your thread.

S'Mon,
Thanks! I sculpt a lot of mini's, but this is a rare one, because it is specifically for D&D.

I've used it once so far, to stand in for a "real" beholder, but I hope to use the undead version in a future game of Shadowchasers.

Remove ads