• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My very first own monster: Pale Orchid

BlubSeabass

First Post
I hope i'm posting in the right sub-forum
Hey there. For my cold-environment campaign, I decided to add a custom made necrophilic plant. Add a little fire surprise in a normally prone to fire environment(like the remorhaz). Please tell me what you think of it, and if something seems wrong/not as good as it could be.

Pale Orchid CR 4
XP 1,200
N Medium plant
Init +5; Senses Blindsight 30 ft; Perception +2
DEFENSE
AC 19, flat-footed 13 (+3 natural, +5 Dex)
hp 38(5d8+15)
Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +3
Immune mind-affecting effects, paralysis, poison, polymorph, sleep; Resist Fire 10, Acid 10
Defensive Abilities Plant Traits, Evasion
OFFENSE
Speed 20ft.
Melee slam +8 (1d6+2), touch Flame jet +8 (1d6 fire)
Special attacks Flame jet, Bone dust (DC 15), Poison
STATISTICS
Str 14, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 8
Base Atk +3; CMB +8; CMD 20 (can't be tripped)
Feats Weapon Finesse, Agile Maneuvers, Lightning Reflexes
Skills Escape Artist +12, Stealth +10; Racial Modifiers +8 Escape Artist, +4 Stealth
ECOLOGY
Environment any cold
Organization solitary, pair, or grove (3-6)
Treasure incidental
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Flame Jet(Ex) As a touch attack action that doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity, the pale orchid can eject an inflammatory mix of chemicals that instantly result in a small blaze. This ability has a melee range, and can be used as part of a full round attacks.
Bone Dust(Ex) As a standard action that doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity, the pale orchid can extract a cloud of its bone dust poison, filling a 5 ft. square for 5 rounds. Alternatively, the pale orchid can take a full round action to choose a corner of the square it's in, and emit a 5 ft. radius cloud from that corner. Creatures that start their turn in this cloud are exposed to the bone dust poison. Bone dust is highly flammable, and when a bone dust cloud comes in contact with fire or other extreme heats, it explodes. Creatures in the cloud take 5d6 fire damage (Reflex 15 halves), and the cloud is removed. This ability is constitution based.
Poison(Ex) Bone Dust, touch; save Fort DC 15; frequency 1/round for 5 rounds; effect 1d3 Dex damage; cure 1 save.

Pale Orchids are beautiful shining purple vines with small white or light-gray leaves, and one big pale orchid flower. They don't have any roots, but are filled with small barbs who are thick or hard enough to cause any damage. Through these barbs they get their nutrition.
Pale Orchids live from water and collagen, the protein that makes human and animal skin and bone flexible. Their vines are incredibly flexible, and can react with lightning speed. To extract collagen from bones and skin, the flower extract a poisonous chemical known as bone dust, which dissolves the collagen from bones into a watery solution that the barbs can absorb. To protect themselves from this bone dust, they have a thick layer of slime, which conveniently also protects them from other acids and fires.
Pale orchids have another chemical in their system, which inflames when contacted with air for longer then half a second. This self defense mechanism has led to many forest fires and the destruction of the pale orchid himself in dryer and warmer regions. Therefor, the pale orchid can only be found in cold regions, usually at places with enough humanoid or animal cadavers.

When in battle, the pale orchid first tries to stiff up the foe, and then batter it to dead with his largest vine. If that doesn't work out, he starts to produce flames to scare of the offender, typically lighting his own bone dust cloud on fire.

EDIT: I was thinking about the running, and it does need to be able to run. Else, it would be a sitting duck against ranged PC's, since it has no way to threathen those who where 20 ft. away.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It looks pretty good! My only question is why it can't run, since they're supposed to be very flexible and can react with lightning speed. It's not a direct contradiction, but it seems a little weird. Nice monster all around, though!

BlubSeabass

First Post
The thought was that its a cadaver-feasting plant, and doesn't have to hunt. It just goes too a corpse, stays there for weeks or even months, and then moves on to his next meal. It would make him a little defensive rattlesnake-like. When it needs to defend himself or move to a new corpse, he always uses his max speed. It's more of a defensive monster. But there is something appealing to the vines speeding up to you, and being attacked in a flash. So I don't know yet =D.

Remove ads