• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Mystara in new edition confirmed

The Glen

Legend
And for the record, your Mystara's Player's Guide is one of the best fan-supported D&D books I've ever seen. Y'all know what you're doing.
When I asked my Pacific Islander friends for help on the Ierendi section, they sent me 30 books that they wanted me to consider for representing them. I tried explaining to them I wasn't going to be able to fit 1000+ pages of information into what was about 8 pages, but I did my best. A few people didn't like the female toa having facial tattoos that were traditionally male, but when I got an actual Maori to help me translate part of the book he told me his friends were just happy to have somebody represent his people as awesome instead of cartoons, and they loved the art because she looked like somebody you didn't want to mess with. So we kept the art. I just hope none of his translations were obscenities. If they were, apparently, the joke is on me.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
When I asked my Pacific Islander friends for help on the Ierendi section, they sent me 30 books that they wanted me to consider for representing them. I tried explaining to them I wasn't going to be able to fit 1000+ pages of information into what was about 8 pages, but I did my best. A few people didn't like the female toa having facial tattoos that were traditionally male, but when I got an actual Maori to help me translate part of the book he told me his friends were just happy to have somebody represent his people as awesome instead of cartoons, and they loved the art because she looked like somebody you didn't want to mess with. So we kept the art.
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

The Glen

Legend
His only demand was don't make the Toa a subclass of barbarian. Keep them light fighters, make use of the haka as an ability, even if it was a fantasy element but make them fighters. This was a common request for the fighter types. The brave was also made a light fighter because the guy that helped me with that aspect, along with the Atruaghin book, rather than a ranger because he didn't want his people's fighter type represented by a magical fighter class. I don't like adding magic to my martials, and love approaching classes from new directions. So I used the Atruaghin's lack of metal to make the braves stealth fighters. They're not rogues, not rangers, just hurty boys that can get real close before its time to roll for initiative.

This was mostly done in jest. Reaching isn't the right word, this is stretching like Reed Richards. I have no faith that Mystara gets any attention from WOTC outside of brief mentions. They are avoiding real-world allegories which was Mystara's focus. They have 5 Spains, 4 Romes, 3 Indias and 2 Germanys. They SERIOUSLY liked Spain. Plus major parts of the setting arc involves mature topics similar to Dark Sun though without the multiple attempts at psionics. I just want them to open up the guilds to the lost settings (hi Birthright!) and let people create more books for Mystara.
Well there are parts of Spain that often want to be independent of Spain, not only a former colonial power, but also a nation with a Fascist regime that outlasted the one in Germany. I was once able to read and understand something written in Catalonian based on a limited understanding of written Spanish and French since that's a language where you get something like Sortie (French) + Salida (Spanish) and get Sortida.

Zardnaar

Legend
When I asked my Pacific Islander friends for help on the Ierendi section, they sent me 30 books that they wanted me to consider for representing them. I tried explaining to them I wasn't going to be able to fit 1000+ pages of information into what was about 8 pages, but I did my best. A few people didn't like the female toa having facial tattoos that were traditionally male, but when I got an actual Maori to help me translate part of the book he told me his friends were just happy to have somebody represent his people as awesome instead of cartoons, and they loved the art because she looked like somebody you didn't want to mess with. So we kept the art. I just hope none of his translations were obscenities. If they were, apparently, the joke is on me.

Maori females do have facial tattoos here btw.

There are different though and they do have tradional roles and mores around gender. Mostly on the marae vs day to day life.

Most won't care if you're respectful. Moana was really popular here espicially with Polynesian demographics. But you'll find someone who will nit pick it if you look hard enough.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you're looking for."
I'm not sure who said this...
Mod Note:

I’m not sure who said it first, nor in what context. But in my experience as a moderator (and other arenas as well), those who quote it are usually defending fairly offensive things.

Don’t go further down that path, at least, not here. Thanks.

Zardnaar

Legend

There are different though and they do have tradional roles and mores around gender. Mostly on the marae vs day to day life.

Protocol varies by tribe as well so you can't really win as some are diametrically opposed.

The Glen

Legend

Protocol varies by tribe as well so you can't really win as some are diametrically opposed.
Yeah don't get me started on people from the same culture having diametrically opposed views on their own culture. It's pretty much every culture I tried to include, and you'll never make everybody happy. There is absolutely no room for nuance in that situation. You include a tradition common in the south, and you'll make somebody from the north upset. And the guy from the east because you didn't include his version of the tradition. You're going to make somebody not happy regardless of what you pick. But if you deep dive enough, you can at least impress them with your research.

The Glen

Legend
Well there are parts of Spain that often want to be independent of Spain, not only a former colonial power, but also a nation with a Fascist regime that outlasted the one in Germany. I was once able to read and understand something written in Catalonian based on a limited understanding of written Spanish and French since that's a language where you get something like Sortie (French) + Salida (Spanish) and get Sortida.
The inside joke for Mystara players is that the Red Steel setting includes multiple versions of Spain throughout various parts of history, as well as another Spain in the nation of Glantri. The problem with all the Spains is they are all right next to each other except for the last one. So you've got Colonial, Inquisitorial, Renaissance, and Moorish Spain as next-door neighbors. Alongside Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, and the Republic of Texas. The world-building in Red Steel was different, I will admit that.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah don't get me started on people from the same culture having diametrically opposed views on their own culture. It's pretty much every culture I tried to include, and you'll never make everybody happy. There is absolutely no room for nuance in that situation. You include a tradition common in the south, and you'll make somebody from the north upset. And the guy from the east because you didn't include his version of the tradition. You're going to make somebody not happy regardless of what you pick. But if you deep dive enough, you can at least impress them with your research.

Woukd be interesting to see a somewhat realistic portrayal of some cultural beliefs.

Would be shocking to American audiences.

We had a female PM refuse to visit a Marare because women don't get to speak. The marae was willing to make an exception (her diplomatic status supersedes her being female) but hard liners were upset.

My local iwi doesn't really care about that. Get invited bring Koha, don't be a dick. That was the 90s when I visited and got to spend a couple of days at kohonga reo in 1990.

I laugh at Americans online trying to shoehorn everything into their silly perspectives. You can be Maori here looking like a pakeha or even be 100% Pakeha by ancestry.

Remove ads