Mystic soulknife questions

ShogunAssassin

First Post
Neo You dont have to guess that I rolled stats as I stated that earlier. I think a "cheater character" is going a little far, I was going to play a Eladrin (nice stat bumbs and misty step) but for story he said he would like me to play a Dwarf but I was allowed to keep the stat bumbs. correct about the dual wielder

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
Neo You dont have to guess that I rolled stats as I stated that earlier. I think a "cheater character" is going a little far, I was going to play a Eladrin (nice stat bumbs and misty step) but for story he said he would like me to play a Dwarf but I was allowed to keep the stat bumbs. What page # on the PHB would I find out the rules for stacking? correct about the dual wielder
Yeah maybe I went a little far. Like I stated, pg 205, combining magical effects. It falls in line with advantage/disadvantage rules as well as resistance/vulnerability. But they seem to always use the worst examples in this edition. I was looking good for a clearer explanation but I think that was in a 4th edition book.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

ShogunAssassin

First Post
what discipline would you recommend? Hone ur blade is very similar to augmented weapon (a little cheaper but concentrate) I picked this up because of lethal weapon is brute force a better discipline to combo with soul knife?

neogod22

Explorer
Really anything else. Remember the soul knives do psychic damage, you might want to have another damage type so you don't be useless if fighting creature that are immune to psychic damage, like constructs and some undead.

zaratan

First Post
Yeah maybe I went a little far. Like I stated, pg 205, combining magical effects. It falls in line with advantage/disadvantage rules as well as resistance/vulnerability. But they seem to always use the worst examples in this edition. I was looking good for a clearer explanation but I think that was in a 4th edition book.

"The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap. The effects of the sam spell cast multi pie times don't combine, however. lnstead, the most potent effect-such as the highest bonus-from those castings applies while their durations overlap."

In mystic:
"Theeffectsofdifferentpsionicdisciplinesadd
togetherwhilethedurationsofthe disciplines
overlap.Likewise,differentoptionsfroma
psionicdisciplinecombineiftheyareactiveat
thesametime.However,aspecificoptionfroma psionicdisciplinedoesn’tcombinewithitselfif
theoptionisusedmultipletimes.Instead,the
mostpotenteffect—usuallydependentonhow
manypsipointswereusedtocreatetheeffect—
applieswhilethedurationsoftheeffects
overlap.
Psionicsandspells areseparateeffects,and
thereforetheirbenefitsanddrawbacksoverlap.
Apsioniceffectthatreproducesaspellisan
exceptiontothisrule."

There is nothing about same damage type don't stack, reach atrack so. The rule is only about the exactly same spell.

So, yes, they stack. And if an ally cast elemental weapon lvl 7th in your soul knife, this will stack to, to +10 to hit and +3d4+7 to damage.
First look you may think is OP, but mystic obly get one attack and need to burn a lvl 3 and 5 spells to get that. I think the RAI idea is to be like rogue, one almost guaranteed hard hit (lower damage than rogue, unless they burn too much resources).

neogod22

Explorer
It is a lot of resources for only +5 extra damage, it kind of forces you to use your bonus action for a second attack every turn just to make it worth while.

zaratan

First Post
It is a lot of resources for only +5 extra damage, it kind of forces you to use your bonus action for a second attack every turn just to make it worth while.

Exactly. Unless DM only do 1-3 encounters day, soul knige is in fact underpowered.

Remove ads