Mystic Theurge w/ familiar

TracerBullet42

First Post
I've got a player in my Savage Tide game who is working towards the Mystic Theurge prestige class. He's now at 5th level (cleric3/wizard2) and has yet to summon a familiar. He's hesitant to do so because he knows that the familiar is going to "peak" at it's abilities with only 3 wizard levels since the Mystic Theurge class only progresses spellcasting.

He's asking for a way to have the familiar continue to climb that chart of abilities while he takes the Mystic Theurge levels.

What should that cost him? A feat? Would that be unbalancing? I'd like to accomodate him, but he has some powergamer tendancies, so I don't want to continually give him everything he asks for...

Thanks!

Klaus

First Post
Obtain Familiar (Complete Arcane): all your levels in all arcane spellcasting classes stack for familiar purposes.

Klaus

First Post
No problem.

In true powergamer form, the player could replace the "familiar" class feature with something else (there's no shortage of alternate class abilities around, in PHB2, UA, Dungeonscape and Complete Champion, just to name a few), then reacquire the familiar through the Obtain Familiar feat.

TracerBullet42

First Post
Klaus said:
No problem.

In true powergamer form, the player could replace the "familiar" class feature with something else (there's no shortage of alternate class abilities around, in PHB2, UA, Dungeonscape and Complete Champion, just to name a few), then reacquire the familiar through the Obtain Familiar feat.
Shhh...he might hear you!

Actually, I may suggest that to him. As the only caster in the group, and a split-class one at that, the group is lagging a bit. Giving him some sort of bonus wouldn't hurt.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
TracerBullet42 said:
Shhh...he might hear you!

Actually, I may suggest that to him. As the only caster in the group, and a split-class one at that, the group is lagging a bit. Giving him some sort of bonus wouldn't hurt.
Alternate class feature replacing your familiar = power up.

Actually wasting using a feat to buy a familiar = self-nerf.

It should net out. :)

Also, IME the Mystic Theurge is a self-nerf until 14th level or so. :\

Cheers, -- N

TracerBullet42

First Post
Nifft said:

Cheers, -- N
Agreed.

pawsplay

Hero
Throw in a double-shot of Practiced Caster, and your little powergamer here will be reasonably powered up and on a nice, firm leash for quite a few levels. :)

Klaus

First Post
Nifft said:

Cheers, -- N
It could get worse: he could spend another feat on Improved Familiar. But then he might be able to get one of the more combat-intensive familiars listed in Complete Warrior.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases