• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Mythic Dream Studios] Dark Inheritance?

MythicJustice

Explorer
Skywalker said:
And already sold out :D Good going Mythic Dreams, I assume this is a good sign.

It is a good sign! I'm still looking into the online stores and hopefully will have an answer for everyone sometime next week.

Voneth

First Post
Book looks great.

I noticed that you guys had d20M PrCs, the first I have seen.

They look good, but I was curious if this is the same format WotC will follow or if you guys took your best guess until we see WotC's version of PrCs.

Forcegypsy

First Post
The first d20 Modern style prestige classes I am aware of are the ones found for the Genetech Setting in the January issue of Dungeon/Polyhedron. There you will find the Guerilla Intruder and the Patrol Pointer. The two PrCs follow the 5 Level format.

Morrus has Urban Arcana already, you could ask him for confirmation of the PrCs in that book.

I have my copy. I paid an arm and a leg but budgeted for it so, meh. Going through it now. I like it, but with reservations. I know the book is split rigidly between flavour and crunch but for the price I would have really preferred to not have to do any of the work to make the setting npc's. Descriptions like Lamberto: (Tough3/Dedicated4/Soldier3 Hidden Sun) and a bio cheesed me off just a tad. No stats at all, no mention of birthright choices.

Will start the game next month we'll see how it goes. My initial impression though is that while I was hoping to base my campaign on this book solely they didn't provide me with enough to do so, not for the price anyway. I'll wait to see if they make up some of the shortfall on the web.

Personally, as a GM I'd call it an average to below average effort as an RPG resource. Aside from the cover, the artwork inside didn't do much to sell the setting.

This isn't a proper review by any means and I didn't really even mean to start a half-assed one but as I was answering the question about PrCs...well stuff just came up (shrug).

Keep in mind I paid nearly CAN 60$ so I was genuinely expecting some more bang for my buck. I would definitely be interested in others opinions on the book.

Mythic Justice, any plans for Web Enhancements?

Skywalker

Adventurer
Forcegypsy said:
...but for the price I would have really preferred to not have to do any of the work to make the setting npc's. Descriptions like Lamberto: (Tough3/Dedicated4/Soldier3 Hidden Sun) and a bio cheesed me off just a tad. No stats at all, no mention of birthright choices.

Each to their own :) Personally I really dislike seeing NPC stats as they suck up valuable space very quickly on something that is almost a pure mechanical process. I prefer to see NPCs as story elements so their stats aren't that important compared to story detail. Either way I think the level indicators are a nice comprise.

Forcegypsy said:
Will start the game next month we'll see how it goes. My initial impression though is that while I was hoping to base my campaign on this book solely they didn't provide me with enough to do so, not for the price anyway. I'll wait to see if they make up some of the shortfall on the web.

Personally, as a GM I'd call it an average to below average effort as an RPG resource. Aside from the cover, the artwork inside didn't do much to sell the setting.

I paid a little more than $60 CAN for DI (I live in NZ :( ) and I am well pleased. In contrast my initial impression is that the resource is well above average. I am happy to see d20 Modern get a decent supplement at last.

I do agree that the book does provide a tool kit approach over a singular focussed campaign. DI provides many options and inspiring ideas mainly through the diverse organisations. This does mean that it may lack depth in any one area.

Again this is a preference thing. I was looking for this type of resource. I have plenty of inspirational material for use in the modern area that I had lined up waiting for a singular resource to utilise it all. Hellboy, Alias, Dark Angel, X Files..etc. I enjoyed how DI provided me with a portal into d20 Modern for many of these ideas with a new spin. I thought particualrly that the use of a variety of diverse yet stereotypical organisations was a great idea. Want Kung Fu? Go here. Want Espionage? Go here. Exploration? etc

I would be interested in hearing what you thought specifically was lacking with DI.

MythicJustice

Explorer
Forcegypsy said:
The first d20 Modern style prestige classes I am aware of are the ones found for the Genetech Setting in the January issue of Dungeon/Polyhedron. There you will find the Guerilla Intruder and the Patrol Pointer. The two PrCs follow the 5 Level format.

Morrus has Urban Arcana already, you could ask him for confirmation of the PrCs in that book.

I have my copy. I paid an arm and a leg but budgeted for it so, meh. Going through it now. I like it, but with reservations. I know the book is split rigidly between flavour and crunch but for the price I would have really preferred to not have to do any of the work to make the setting npc's. Descriptions like Lamberto: (Tough3/Dedicated4/Soldier3 Hidden Sun) and a bio cheesed me off just a tad. No stats at all, no mention of birthright choices.

This isn't a proper review by any means and I didn't really even mean to start a half-assed one but as I was answering the question about PrCs...well stuff just came up (shrug).

Keep in mind I paid nearly CAN 60$ so I was genuinely expecting some more bang for my buck. I would definitely be interested in others opinions on the book.

Mythic Justice, any plans for Web Enhancements?

There will be some Web Enhancements on the website soon. One of these is an introductory adventure, another is an interactive center where you can let us know how your group dealt with various plot hooks. The best of these will be used to resolve or further these plot lines. We're also working on a Web Enhancement for GMs. It will cover, in greater detail, how to run Dark Inheritance campaigns and how to have a game where PCs are from different Allegiances.

And the first review for Dark Inheritance is up on ENWorld, check it out.

Last edited:

bolen

First Post
you might look into who is doing your bindings mine broke as soon as I got home but a little glue and it was fine.

what products do you have down the road to support this game?

MythicJustice

Explorer
bolen said:
you might look into who is doing your bindings mine broke as soon as I got home but a little glue and it was fine.

what products do you have down the road to support this game?

Thanks for letting me know. This problem has now happened 3 times. If you want a replacement copy I can arrange one for you. Can you email me at my sig and let me know in what way it broke? I'm trying to compile a list so that if this becomes a larger issue I can take it to the printer.

Remove ads