• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mythic Hybridity in Fantasy

I'm kind of tossing out a net here, looking for ideas, to help me better understand the way we devise our worlds and our game schema. Please help me out with your thoughts.

Anyone who has played in or read about the Forgotten Realms knows that it is a world filled with a myriad of mythological beliefs. You have the typical Faerunian viewpoint, with its curious pantheons of deities, you have Maztica, and Chult, and a dozen other places whose names I cannot remember. Some are Greco-Roman in derivation, and most others seem to have been drawn from a mixture of Norse and Celtic lore common to Arthurian literature. But there is a surprisingly large contingent of locations, stories, or just monsters or magic that are pulled from wholly non-European myths. Forgotten Realms, and many many other fantasy realms like it, take myths from a variety of sources and dash them together, creating a melting pot mythos the likes of which never quite existed on Earth.

I'm wondering why. Is it merely for the sake of variety that so many fantasy stories draw upon diverse elements of our own Earthly myths? Robert Howard's Conan stories were set before the time of the Biblical flood, in a land where Egyptian death cults coexist with Mesopotamian gods, Eastern European sorcerers, the odd Oriental monk or mystic, and a fair horde of Northern European myths. If any of you have read Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword, though it is rooted in the conflict between Elf and Troll, seelie and unseelie fey, there are a few scenes where the author brings in creatures from around the world. A satyr wanders into England, mourning that no one believes in it anymore in Greece; oni and various manner of Russian and African goblins join a Trollish invasion fleet; Christian and pagan beliefs coexist side by side, in tense conflict.

On a more negative note, there is the campy mythic world of Xena and Hercules, where characters who we know should be well-grounded in one mythology, instead take vacations for the sake of variety into other myths. Xena fights alongside Julius Caesar one day, goes to Egypt and confronts a mummy the next, then swings by China so her sidekick Gabriel can learn to fight with sai. Oh, and don't forget that Gabriel takes the place of the Virgin Mary, only her child is evil and will take over the world, more of a Mordred than a Messiah.

In my opinion, such a meshing of different mythos adds a sense of diversity to a world, but it can also create a disjunction, with no clear core of belief. Instead, everyone is given a fair share, which, while admirable, fails to reflect the very real truth that most people in the pre-Renaissance world were barely ever exposed to foreign mythologies. The stories gain greater depth of a whole world, but sacrifice unity and coherence in any given small setting.

One theory that has been put forth is that such efforts to mush together myths into something new have been driven by the desire of the English-speaking world to create its own mythology. J.R.R. Tolkein is credited with having wanted his stories to be a mythology for England. Unlike nearly every other major country or culture, England (and later America) was the clear creation of several cultures intermingling. You have the various Welsh myths, Celtic fey and Norse giants and trolls, and even the British legend of Arthur and the round table, but these stories . . . the myths by which we must define our history, were all originally created in languages other than those we speak today. They were created in a time different from the one that spawned our current language, and so they cannot quite ever capture our thoughts.

Modern fantasy, then, could be a desire to create a mythos for us to live in. America is even worse off than England in that respect, in that we're a far younger culture, easily given to amalgamation. We desire to create a folklore, a mythic history that conveys not just how we feel and what we cherish, but also what we long for and cannot have. The defeatist tone of the Anglo-Saxon poem of Beowulf do not match our modern day interests and concerns.

For us, it is Middle Earth's tale of the Elves, magic leaving the world which is sadly threatened by the approach of technology and loss of individuality. It is Krynn's search for faith in a world where we abandoned it, and now we want to find it again. It is the Melnibonean search for a morality that can no longer simply accept 'right' and 'wrong,' but must seek to comprehend the conflict between the order of protective society and the chaos of personal freedom (a philosophy popularized in the 60s if there ever was one).

It is that near-comic fear from Planet of the Apes, that we might be replaced by our own mistakes, not by fate, but by folly. It is the search for heroes, be they created by science, miraculous mutation, or a fortunate castaway from Krypton, for we think that we no longer have heroes, that we haven't the power to change our world. And that is a power we think we deserve. It is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, telling us to consider that very desire for power.

But we could always just make things up ourselves, and not draw upon older myths. Frankenstein's monster is not a clear descendant of European folklore, no more than Superman, Wolverine, or Jean Grey hail from any of our myths. They seem a more modern creation. True, elements of their stories are as long-lasting and commonly seen as any other tale, but the details of their existence are frame purely without any mythic sentimentality.

So why, in fantasy, do we still see strains of old myths? Are they presented to resonate more with our modern lives, to tie us into the world we cast our minds to as we read or play? Even superhero comics often are their most poignant when they draw upon Christian or Oriental or Jewish or Muslim or other symbolisms. Surely, some authors have a clearer agenda than others, but for those who consciously choose to draw upon real-world myths, what do they think they gain?

I want to end this long question with a bit of a counter-argument. I'm sure there are a thousand other examples, but if any of you have read about or played in Talislanta, you'll know that it owes very little to real-world myths. Dark Sun is much the same, as was, in many cases, Spelljammer. Obviously, fantasy stories can be told without tapping humanity's mythic lore, so then what prompts so many of us to keep doing so?

Take a look at the threads on this board, and see how many are questions on fitting Earthly mythology into fantasy gaming. Hopefully you'll have some insight I don't into why we have this desire.

-Ryan "RangerWickett" Nock

Crothian

First Post
I think it comes from familiarity. It's easier to create and understand a culture that is based on a real world one. Also, it's easier to say to the PCs that the world they are playing in is like Ancient Greece then explaining everything of a completely new culture.

Personally, I use a mix of real world and completely made up. Some people are great at just coming up with things that are unique. Others do better basing their stuff on a solid fondation.

Victim

First Post
Look at the advice people give to DMs: steal from everything. If having X thing is good, quite often, having X and Y and Z is even better.

Even if it's not better, it still provides players with more things to do, and thus makes the DM's job easier.

Fenris

Adventurer
I agree with Crothian in that it gives a base line and a common grounf to a lot of games. But more addressing your point RangerWickett, have you read Joseph Campbell? The power of myth is very potent. We have a connection to the myths of our own world. While they are outdated to an extent, they provide an anchor and a connection to our past. All mythologies and religions seek to explain the way the world works and how it came to be. Some seek to confort others to strengthen. But in anthropological terms, humans seek purpose. Seventy odd years out of five billion on a spinning rock doesn't work for most people. People want more, they want to know that even if the Gods don't care about them per se, that they did create them. In addition, mythologies provide that nessecary social stability provided by an external moral authority. Without that social development and communal living would have been stunted.
Why, is lost in time. What we know is that most people strive to have a connection to their cultural past. In modern times we are not trained in the legends of our ancestors and are more free to choose our own mythic history. Myths were once meant to teach, many lessons can still be found in them today. Most people look to others to find the lessons for them (the 5 min morality lesson at the end to the TV show).
I am creating a world for a new campaign. The hardest thing is not creating a new set of dieties. It is creating the myths and legends of creation, and langauge and the bringing of magic to the peoples that is the hardest. So why not just say we have Norse Gods, or Greek Gods. It goes beyond the pantheon and colors the world with heroes and tales of bravery, daring deeds and huberis. It is pre-made flavor, but everyone has tasted it, and even if they don't like it, they know what it is and how to use it.

Victim, Crothian, thanks for the replies. I decided to emulate Doc Brown from Back to the Future and see if I'd have a revelation in the shower, and your replies are in line with what I came up with.

• Making the familiar unfamiliar.
  • Making the unfamiliar familar by using traits from things we know.
  • More depth.
  • More breadth and variety.
  • A melting pot of cultures.
  • A melting pot of writers.
  • Examining what could've been.
  • Interest in qualities of contrast and similarity.

The above are the reasons I think writers, artists, readers, DMs, and players are attracted to hybrid mythologies. I'll go into more detail in a second, but I'm pulling an all nighter at my college on this very topic, and I need to get some food to keep me awake. Arigato.

Before I get too far into this, I'm familiar with Campbell, but I haven't actually read any of his work. I agree that myth is powerful, and that old myths still have great influence over us. But we're not just using old myths; we're mixing them, or creating almost totally new ones. I'm trying to understand why people are doing what they're doing with myth in the modern world. Bear with me as I hammer out my thoughts.

Also, I've noticed that my writing style is deteriorating from lack of sleep. My sincere and abject apologies.

One of the main goals of fantasy that many people make a big deal of is the desire to return to the idyllic past. So much of the modern day is devoted to progress, which often involves debunking the charming myths of the past or outright 'proving' the falsehood of some beliefs. Plus, many things in life grow more complicated, and less pretty, so people want to go back to more old-fashioned ways. Myths are one of the key aspects of older civilization, and they're appealing because they let you accept things without needing the scientific explanations that frustrate so many today.

Let's consider how writers have gone back to more primitive or traditional worlds. In fact, let's start with one of the most dark and unorthodox authors of fantasy, H.P. Lovecraft. Though Lovecraft's stories are inspired by early 20th-century psychology, that inspiration is presented in the form of civilized, logical, cultured minds degenerating into maddened, irrational savagery. Instead of creating a mythology out of pieces from the stories of the rest of the world which already tried to explain the unknown, Lovecraft imagined a mythos in which wholly modern concepts of psychology and psychoanalysis were the focus. There are still bogeymen, and things for people to fear, but instead of having gods or divine spirits protect mankind, it is up to humanity's own mind and ego to defend against the madness of the unknown. In this way, Lovecraft's stories are a mythology, but not really a fantasy in the sense most modern critics would use the term. It involves explaining (or at least hinting at) the unknown, like any mythic structure, but it does not harken back to old fashioned ideals. It is more akin to European folklore that acknowledged the existence of magic and sorcery, but endeavoured to teach that piety to the kindness of God was better.

Even then, Lovecraft does present a mythology for the modern world, and it is perhaps one of the most modern in terms of scientific thought. But let's move on for now to a modern mythology that reflects more of the 20th-century's social developments, namely in the area of intercultural mingling.

. . . [I'll post more of this in a second]

Creating an English Mythology
(Under construction)

Narrative and Literary Benefits of Hybridizing Mythologies in Fantasy
  • Making the familiar unfamiliar. As Fenris pointed out, almost everyone knows Greek or Norse mythology at least a little bit, so they're familiar with it. After a while, it might even get boring. By adding in elements that were historically foreign to that mythology, you make it more original and unfamiliar, and hopefully more interesting.
  • Making the unfamiliar familar by using traits from things we know. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis accomplish this in their stories by using Christian motifs as an underlying structure. Tolkein in particular also drew on his considerable knowledge of Anglo-Saxon history and language, and of the countryside of England, to make Middle Earth a very vivid setting that we can relate to.

A perhaps even better example of this might be Howard's Conan stories, which use very brief cues to parallel his fantasy cultures with real-world ones. While reading the Conan stories, you know you're in a mish-mash world, but a few quick hints let you easily envision the setting he's describing. We know what Egypt looks like, so hearing mention of huge tombs, deserts, and snake-headed Gods sets you into the mind of being in fantasy Egypt.
  • More depth. If you have several mythoi worth of stories to draw from, you'll probably just naturally have a little more depth to whatever you write or run. It's subtle things, really, like if you know that your PC has a uncle who made really good breadsticks, it'll add just that extra smidgin of flavor to your characterization that might help bring your PC's personality alive. Mixing myths makes the world seem more alive, because, indeed, myths did mix a little bit in the real world, though probably not as much as we usually see in the media.
  • More breadth and variety. This is only really applicable if you want to have a far-spanning story. Having the entire world be like the worlds on Star Trek, where everyone lives in identical cities and have the exact same culture, gets boring, and is implausible. If you want the story to move across the world, you should make sure that those other places in the world are distinctly different, even if it's only a change of a few small elements of one myth.
  • A melting pot of cultures. This trait is probably only subconsciously realized, and is more a result of the world we live in than a decision of the writer. Particularly in America, a lot of the barriers of different cultures have been dissolving, allowing people to mingle their beliefs. Because in this modern day and age many people are dissatisfied with the cultures they were brought up in, some seek out other societies and belief systems that they like better. The exposure to many more mythologies, for one, means that unlike people in the 10th century, we actually do consider many different myths to be our own. The world we live in is already a mix of beliefs and stories, and so fantasy that does the same is just emulating real life.
  • A melting pot of writers. As a bit of an addendum to the above point, traditionally, many fantasy authors hung out together. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis were fellow . . . Inklings, I think, and I know Lovecraft and Robert Howard corresponded by mail, not to mention all the idea sharing that's going on on these boards. Even a small group of people bring a great diversity of ideas to the table, and friends are apt to draw from each other. I admit that I myself have already taken Dranko Coaltongue and Trillith from Sagiro and Piratecat's storyhours (though I changed them a bit), and I can't guess how many ideas have been inspired from reading other people's posts and questions here. By sharing ideas, we stick our thoughts into other people's heads, making it more likely they'll be intrigued enough to include a slightly foreign idea in their writing or games.

Certainly, many writers were influenced by Lovecraft's style. Even in Conan you can see a very common thread of ancient mysteries and dangers that men cannot understand. The stories of Jirel of Joiry, by . . . (someone help me out please, I forgot her name), also have much to owe to Lovecraft's alien mysteries; in one story, Jirel travels into a 'hell' of sorts, but one wholly alien to Dante or other traditional views. Rather, it is filled with that lovely Cthulhu cliche of the non-Euclidean angles and a myriad of other paradoxes. Even Michael Moorcock's Elric stories seem to have bits in common with Lovecraft, especially in Moorcock's descriptions of the Lords of Chaos.
  • Examining what could've been. As a much more conscious decision, some authors might decide to write a bit of speculative fiction, examining possible social interactions that could have happened, but never had the chance, or which are not remembered by history. This is also useful for examining possible modern-day interactions, using a slightly variant venue.
  • Interest in qualities of contrast and similarity. And sometimes, it's just for kicks. I mean, I'd kinda like to see Faeries in samurai armor riding flying carpets. It'd be a hoot. Let us never discount the importance of whimsy.

Glyfair

Explorer
I don't have any real commentary on this Wickett. However, I do recommend that if you go to any conventions you try to start a conversation with Greg Stafford. He has, by far, the best creditionals in the roleplaying field on dealing with myths in roleplaying games.

His world, Glorantha (the world for Runequest & Heroquest/Hero Wars), has developed from a somewhat normal world, into a world pretty much run by myths. While the various cultures have different mythological backgrounds, they are still mostly tied into Campbells myth types.

I think any comments he might have on a more modern mythology would be illuminating.

Glyfair of Glamis

Voadam

Legend
Multicultural exposure

The mixing of cultures is not unique to the U.S.

Take for example, Medieval Britain. You have the saxons and the celts, you have the Danelaw period, you have the normans who were 3rd generation viking conquerers coming in.

For coexisting different cultural/religious views take India with the diversity within the Hindu traditions and then through in monotheistic Islam, a mixing of two very different religious world views and traditions.

Take the Mediteranean of Early christian times. There are the Jews, the Christians, the Zoroastrians, the Greek Pantheon, Egyptian cults, and other indigineous religions all openly preaching on the streets.

Also stealing from past myths for current stories is part of the storytelling tradition, check out Sinbad after reading the Odyssey.

Trading and trading centers always exposed multiple cultures. Think how far the vikings got by boat, from Scandinava they went and conquered Normandy, Ireland (for a time), England (for a time) Russia, and they were throughout the mediterranean interacting with Arabs and Eastern Orthodox christians (varangian guard-viking bodyguard of holy roman emperor).

RangerWickett:
In my opinion, such a meshing of different mythos adds a sense of diversity to a world, but it can also create a disjunction, with no clear core of belief. Instead, everyone is given a fair share, which, while admirable, fails to reflect the very real truth that most people in the pre-Renaissance world were barely ever exposed to foreign mythologies. The stories gain greater depth of a whole world, but sacrifice unity and coherence in any given small setting.

One theory that has been put forth is that such efforts to mush together myths into something new have been driven by the desire of the English-speaking world to create its own mythology. J.R.R. Tolkein is credited with having wanted his stories to be a mythology for England.

Boy, there are a bunch of good threads on the boards right now! Thanks RangerWickett, SHARK, mmadsen (and others) for starting these things up!

Now, to nitpick a few of the points in the portions of your message quoted above. In actuality, melding and blending of mythos was quite common in the last days of polytheistic Europe. Native roman mythology is heavily blended with Greek traditions (to the point where many laymen think that Roman mythology is simply Greek mythology renamed, which isn't really true, but there's something to that, at least.) As the Romans spread, they incorporated all kinds of new gods, cults and traditions into their culture. Romanized British Celts, for example, could very well believe in native Celtic gods, Romano-Greek gods, Persian gods (the cult of Mithras was huge in the later Roman army), Egyptian gods or Anglo-Saxon Germanic gods, or all of the above.

And secondly, it is a bit of a misconception that Tolkien wanted to create a mythology for England, and the Lord of the Rings or The Silmarillion is the result of that. Tolkien did, at one point in his life, want to do so. The result of that is in The Book of Lost Tales. Later, he abandoned that idea when he began work on what became the Quenta Silmarillion. True, the Sil tales borrow heavily from the Lost Tales, but the idea of creating a mythology for England had also been abandoned.

However, your real question, as I understand it, is why use existing mythological gods at all, and especially, why mix and match them?

Frankly, I don't do that. I create my own pantheon and cosmology for every world I run, in a way that creates the right feel for my world. If I borrow concepts from real world folklore or mythology (which I do, sometimes) then I typically rename it, or reinvent it so it fits my world. I'm more a fan of creating custom "Greyhawkian" cosmologies rather than lifting Norse, Greek, Egyptian, etc., putting them in a blender and then running with it.

Vaxalon

First Post
RangerWickett said:
...Frankenstein's monster is not a clear descendant of European folklore...

Not true. It clearly draws on the original Golem myth, which originates in eastern Europe.

Remove ads