D&D 5E Mythological Figures: General George Washington

We’re getting positively colonial today in Mythological Figures with the man most often credited with finding the United States of America. I’m of course talking about the Delaware River-crossing, (not really) cherry tree-chopping, ironic enemy of hero worship George Washington!

general george washington BANNER 5e.jpg

I’m from the USA and specifically the East Coast (Pennsylvanians what up!) so I’ve had George Washington shoved in my face forever. There are plenty of non-American readers here though so let me give you the quick rundown:
  • George Washington was a surveyor by the age of 16.
  • He kicked off the Seven Years War (or at the least was involved with the first battle).
  • Didn’t make any babies of his own although he had plenty of step-kids.
  • Wooden teeth. Yes. Here’s 10 facts about his teeth. Yes, 10 facts. In your face innit?
  • He loved booze and ran the biggest distillery in the colonies/early USA.
  • Led the Continental Army in the Revolutionary War. He lost more often than he won, although obviously achieved overall victory.
  • First President of the United States (way back when people thought that was cool and respectable).
  • Founded the US Navy.
  • Second inaugural address was 135 words and took less than 2 minutes.
  • Didn’t wear a wig! That’s his hair!
  • Very pro-mule.
  • Released all his slaves upon his death (what a guy).
  • The whole “chopped down his dad’s cherry tree and admitted to it” is 100% myth.
  • George Washington specifically did not want to be deified or worshiped (coined the term ‘Mr. President’ as opposed to ‘Your Highness’) which is what makes what’s happened to his legacy so very American-ly ironic.
If you clicked through today looking for a biography of Washington I’m not sorry I didn’t deliver, but I promise, you will find a bajillion web sites/documentaries/propaganda pamphlets more than happy to make good on that for you.

Design Notes: In my mind George Washington is all about commanding troops and that’s where the build is focused, making good use of the Mearls’ Warlord fighter archetype. Considering what all he can do—grant 20 temporary hit points to his commanders or a crack assault squad, or heal (on average) 11 hit points from Tactical Mastery (or use that 2d10 to deal extra damage), control his Tactical Focal Point—I’m able to believe this guy led militia-farmers to victory over the King’s trained soldiers.
That brings us to the end and as usual a look at the numbers: the DMG lands George here at 6.8 which feels pretty low, and the Blog of Holding’s rubric put him at 8.166 which I feel is much more on the money. If for some reason he’s caught in a duel or by himself in the wilderness or what have you, treat him as CR 7 as he’s really designed to be used with soldiers and not all by his lonesome.

General George Washington
Medium humanoid (human), fighter (warmaster) 16
Armor Class 16 (studded leather, defense fighting style)
Hit Points 136 (16d10+48)
Speed 30 ft.
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
12 (+1)​
16 (+3)​
16 (+3)​
14 (+2)​
14 (+2)​
18 (+4)​
Saving Throws Str +6, Con +8
Skills Athletics +6, Insight +7, Perception +7, Persuasion +9, Survival +7
Senses passive Perception 17
Languages English, Latin
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

Background: Wildborn. George never forgets the geographic arrangement of terrain, settlements, and areas of wilderness. In addition, he can forage fresh water and food each day for as many as 6 people as long as the environment nearby can support it.
Action Surge (1/Short Rest). Once on his turn, George can take an additional action on top of his regular action and a possible bonus action.
Commanded Movement. Instead of moving on his turn, George can choose up to 3 allies able to hear him. These allies move up to half their Speed. An ally that cannot take actions cannot benefit from this feature.
Feat: Diplomatic. George can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by the Wisdom (Insight) check of a creature that can understand what he says during 1 minute of talking. On a success, as long as George remains within 60 feet of it (and for 1 minute afterward) the target is charmed by him. George automatically fails on the check if he or his companions are fighting the target.
Feat: Inspirational. When George spends 10 minutes speaking inspirationally, he can choose up to 6 friendly creatures (including himself if he likes) within 30 feet that can hear and understand him. Each creature gains 20 temporary hit points but cannot gain more temporary hit points from this feature until after they have completed a long rest.
Indomitable (2/Long Rest). George can reroll a saving throw that he fails but must use the new roll.
Leading Example. When George hits a creature with a weapon attack, until the end of his next turn the target of his attack has disadvantage on saving throws against his Tactical Maneuvers.
Second Wind (1/Short Rest). On his turn, George can use a bonus action to regain 1d10+16 hit points.

Tactical Focal Point. George selects a 10-foot square to be his tactical focal point as a bonus action or as part of the attack action, choosing one of the following benefits to apply to it. This lasts until he cannot take actions or uses this feature again. Each time George completes a long rest, he can swap one of these benefits for a different one.
  • Area Clear. When an ally inside George’s focal point hits a creature with an attack, the ally can move that creature 5 feet.
  • Cover the Flank. As many as three target creatures of George’s choice can use a reaction to move up to their speed when an enemy that he can see enters his focal point, so long as that movement does not end in the focal point. If a target creature is ending their movement adjacent to the enemy that triggered this feature, they do not have to use their reaction.
  • Phalanx Sidestep. An ally inside of George’s tactical focal point doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks as long as they move from a square adjacent to an ally and into another square adjacent to an ally. In addition, George and his allies can end their movement in space occupied by an ally. The ally immediately moves 5 feet away from the direction they came in and must end movement inside of his tactical focal point.
  • Run Away! When an ally inside of George’s tactical focal point is forced to make a Dexterity saving throw, they move up to their speed by using their reaction and are no longer subjected to the triggering effect if their movement takes them outside of the area or range.
Tactical Mastery (16/Long Rest). George uses part of his Attack action or a bonus action to take mastery of the battlefield, granting it to himself and allies within his focal point by expending uses of this feature. A creature that is granted a use of George’s Tactical Mastery can either regain 2d10 hit points when it is granted (any hit points greater than its maximum are temporary hit points) or use it to deal an extra 2d10 damage with an attack.

ACTIONS
Extra Attack. George attacks three times when he takes the Attack action.
Saber. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) slashing damage.
Musket. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range 40/120 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d12+3) piercing damage.

Tactical Maneuver (6/Long Rest). Each time George completes a long rest, he can swap one of these benefits for a different one.
  • Group Assault. George takes the Attack action and chooses a creature he can see within his tactical focal point. The creature makes a DC 15 Constitution saving throw at the start of his next turn provided that George or an ally hits it with an attack after he activates this feature. The creature has disadvantage on the saving throw if it has been hit by 3 or more attacks this turn. On a failure, it is stunned until the end of George’s next turn.
  • Move to Flank. George takes the Attack action and calls out to as many as 2 allies that can see or hear him. They can use their reactions to move up to their speed. A creature makes a DC 15 Strength saving throw if it is adjacent to these allies or George and one of these allies at the end of their movement. On a failure, it is restrained until the end of George’s next turn.
  • Confounding Maneuvering. Enemy creatures that are inside of George’s Focal Point make a DC 15 Intelligence saving throw or can’t leave that area until the end of his next turn. In addition, George can take the Attack action.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I gotta say it, Washington was not a myth.

Of course not, but there are many myths about Washington. You addressed one yourself, wooden teeth. Cherry Tree is another myth. Being unhittable is one I recall reading a long time ago, but I can't cite a source, which is often true for myths.

There's a whole host of other myths about Washington, not to mention artwork in DC that literally show his Apotheosis and depict him as Zeus.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I thought that Washington set it up to where his slaves would be freed after his wife's death. This way, she would be taken care of. Am I misremembering?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I thought that Washington set it up to where his slaves would be freed after his wife's death. This way, she would be taken care of. Am I misremembering?
Yes that was the reasoning i had heard... The one who had courage where his convictions lay was Benjamin Franklin (but he never had a lot of them) he became a leader in the abolitionist movement - That was a more heroic character to me.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I remember reading bits about his tactical acumen being inspired by native Americans as well not sure if that is exactly ranger but.

Washington was indeed a skilled surveyor and had spent a lot of time on the frontier when he was in British colonial service during the Seven Years' War (known here as the French and Indian War).

I'm not sure I'd agree Washington was a tactical genius. For instance, he made some really doofus mistakes during the Battle of Long Island that nearly got the nascent Continental Army annihilated. He was, however, very charismatic as a leader, capable of keeping it together during some really dark times, and strategically savvy. He also was able to get the services of some very able underlings, such as Benedict Arnold (before he turned his coat in a fit of jealous rage) and Nathanael Greene, as well as the European professional soldiers Count von Steuben and the Marquis de Lafayette. I'd also disagree that the Continentals were amateur militiamen (although there were militia and guerrillas in service). By the end of the war they were seasoned and well-drilled thanks to von Steuben and Lafayette, and the war would not have been won without the Continentals. After the war, the Continental Army was allowed to disintegrate (shamefully---many of the regulars nearly starved to death in 1783 in winter quarters) but in a very real sense, Lafayette and, especially, von Steuben, were the fathers of the professional officer corps.

Aaron L

Hero
Yes that was the reasoning i had heard... The one who had courage where his convictions lay was Benjamin Franklin (but he never had a lot of them) he became a leader in the abolitionist movement - That was a more heroic character to me.

Ben Franklin was pretty damn rad, based on everything I've read about him.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I can’t help but feel like, were he around today, Franklin would have been like some weird amalgamation of Barack Obama, Elon Musk, and PewdiePie, from a cultural standpoint. Too politically nuclear to hold a prime office, but always near the levers of power and EVERYONE would follow him whether they liked him or hated him because they wanted to see what he did next...

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers

I think it's important not to make historical figures too good, projecting our own desires onto them.

Franklin, for instance, was stridently anti-Catholic (not at all unusual for someone of his time and origin), there is good reason to suppose in the leadup to the Revolution was playing both sides of the fence, and he was, unquestionably the prototypical dirty old man.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Franklin, for instance, was stridently anti-Catholic (not at all unusual for someone of his time and origin) and he was, unquestionably the prototypical dirty old man.
He lived into his 80s definitely achieved the old man part maybe because he was prototypical ;) I rather like his being a nudist and such (not heard anything particularly sinister as part of it though that is possible) it's part of what makes him interesting AND one might as well call him anti-theist like Thomas Paine or even actually Thomas Jefferson that is deists were as close to atheists ( Mark Twain as George Carlin) as their era would support. I hadn't read the spy angle as an international figure central to bringing France in on the side of the new country its pretty strange.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases