N.E.W. combat questions

dekrass

Explorer
I ran a session of N.E.W. that was almost all combat. It brought up several questions. This'll be a long post, but here goes.

Which modifiers apply to psionic attacks, like psi-blast, that target mental defense? Are those attacks modified by the same things as ranged attacks?

Does cover apply to adjacent targets while using a ranged weapon?

In the movement section it says you can take an action at any point during your movement, and the section on cover says that if line of sight is blocked you have to spend a move action to get in position to attack and another to block line of sight again. How do those rules interact? For example, if a character moves past a doorway, not going through it, and shoots at a target through the doorway line of sight would be blocked on either side. Does that mean that the attacker can't move all the way past the door until the next round, no matter how much movement he has?

Do you become pinned down if you haven't been attacked directly, but are in combat? Are you pinned down in relation to all other combatants, or just those attacking you? If one character engages an enemy and they don't move for three rounds, then another opponent enters the scene does the new combatant get a bonus to attack the pinned down character?

Crossfires exist if attackers are more than 90 degrees apart. With multiple attackers do they need to be that far apart from all other attackers involved? For example, if a character has attackers at 12, 1, 6, & 7 o'clock from him which attackers get a bonus? Would that be a crossfire of four attackers, or maybe two crossfires of two attackers? If the attacker at 1 o'clock wasn't there would that set up a crossfire bonus for the other two attackers, or just one?

Also on crossfires, when do the bonuses reset? My understanding of it is that a crossfire is set up when someone attacks, and then each further attacker positioned properly gets a bonus to attack, with each one die higher than the last. When does that bonus go back to zero? The target's next turn?

Thanks for any input here.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I ran a session of N.E.W. that was almost all combat. It brought up several questions. This'll be a long post, but here goes.

Which modifiers apply to psionic attacks, like psi-blast, that target mental defense? Are those attacks modified by the same things as ranged attacks?

Yep! Though it takes some cues from 5E's "rulings not rules" philosophy in that the GM is free to add complication die penalties or refuse bonuses if they really don't make sense (charging before a psionic charm effect, for example).

Does cover apply to adjacent targets while using a ranged weapon?

If you can justify the cover, yep. It's a little harder to convince me as a GM that a PC is in cover when the target can literally just reach over it though. Definitely a GM call!

In the movement section it says you can take an action at any point during your movement, and the section on cover says that if line of sight is blocked you have to spend a move action to get in position to attack and another to block line of sight again. How do those rules interact? For example, if a character moves past a doorway, not going through it, and shoots at a target through the doorway line of sight would be blocked on either side. Does that mean that the attacker can't move all the way past the door until the next round, no matter how much movement he has?

Ah, OK, we're talking about two different effects here.

If it's just "a place on the battlefield where there's no line of sight" then he moves and acts normally.

Those cover rules refer to a single square where by simply changing his body position a character can either be blocked or in cover. If the character is actually moving to another square, those rules aren't applicable. It basically represents somebody hunkered down behind cover, and how they "pop up" to shoot.

Do you become pinned down if you haven't been attacked directly, but are in combat? Are you pinned down in relation to all other combatants, or just those attacking you? If one character engages an enemy and they don't move for three rounds, then another opponent enters the scene does the new combatant get a bonus to attack the pinned down character?

For ease of use, the pinning simply applies to the target for all characters. Tracking it separately for different attackers might be more realistic, but it's a lot more work. The way I imagine it is that if one bandit is shooting at the character in cover, he's cowering down but maybe not realising his leg is now sticking out the other side, or the cover itself is getting chipped away.

Crossfires exist if attackers are more than 90 degrees apart. With multiple attackers do they need to be that far apart from all other attackers involved? For example, if a character has attackers at 12, 1, 6, & 7 o'clock from him which attackers get a bonus? Would that be a crossfire of four attackers, or maybe two crossfires of two attackers? If the attacker at 1 o'clock wasn't there would that set up a crossfire bonus for the other two attackers, or just one?

You work it out from the point of view of the shooter. When you roll his attack roll, how many attackers are at 90 degrees from him?

Also on crossfires, when do the bonuses reset? My understanding of it is that a crossfire is set up when someone attacks, and then each further attacker positioned properly gets a bonus to attack, with each one die higher than the last. When does that bonus go back to zero? The target's next turn?

No, as above, when the shooter comes to fire, you simply count how many attackers are at 90 degrees from him.

Last edited:

dekrass

Explorer
Thanks a lot for all the answers. I've been using my current campaign as a sort of test run to get used to the system. So I've hit a lot of odd situations. This clears things up nicely.
It looks like a lot of my spot rulings were close to the intention of the rules. This game is a lot different from what I'm used to, but I'm really liking the system so far.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For a designer, interacting with folks using your game is the best thing about the whole process. :)

Remove ads