D&D 3E/3.5 N3: Destiny of Kings Conversion

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Did anyone ever post a conversion of this classic adventure to 3E or 3.5E?

I've done some searching for one but Google has sadly let me down this time!

Many thanks in advance :)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I ran it for 1E and 2E several times and hope to convert it to 5E for my next campaign, but alas not 3E (despite playing 3E for 16 years). Sorry.

Just remember that while the outside of the module claims the module is for "4 to 6 characters of 1st to 4th level," the inner cover says "5-10 characters of 4th to 8th level!" THAT'S A BIG DIFFERENCE.

243807045_599462247753418_1091544125439093630_n.jpg
243535287_539378697155834_3297766112571465712_n.jpg

Erekose

Eternal Champion
I ran it for 1E and 2E several times and hope to convert it to 5E for my next campaign, but alas not 3E (despite playing 3E for 16 years). Sorry.

Just remember that while the outside of the module claims the module is for "4 to 6 characters of 1st to 4th level," the inner cover says "5-10 characters of 4th to 8th level!" THAT'S A BIG DIFFERENCE.

View attachment 144575View attachment 144574
Thanks for the heads up - I’ve no problem with scaling the adventure - my main use of a conversion would be just the time saving of the stat blocks to build off 😊

Converting isn’t too hard from earlier editions to 3.5e. I just do notes in Word for stuff that needs translation. You can find most monsters stats on d20srd.org and copy & paste to Word. You can also find character generators to create a 3.5e version of whatever was there before.

I like Goodman Games “Original Adventures Reincarnated“, which have original rules translated to 5e and fleshed out. The 5e part holds little interest for me, but they show you how to translate editions.

hedgeknight

Explorer
Destiny of Kings was one of my favorite adventures to run many years ago. For those who have ran it several times, where would you place it in Greyhawk? I'm considering a new campaign in the Yeomanry region.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Converting isn’t too hard from earlier editions to 3.5e. I just do notes in Word for stuff that needs translation. You can find most monsters stats on d20srd.org and copy & paste to Word. You can also find character generators to create a 3.5e version of whatever was there before.

I like Goodman Games “Original Adventures Reincarnated“, which have original rules translated to 5e and fleshed out. The 5e part holds little interest for me, but they show you how to translate editions.

I’ve read a few of the OARs - my current favourite would be Castle Amber but I was given the ToEE for Christmas which may change my mind if the conversion expands the elemental nodes well! My request was just to save time really as I tend to rewrite big chunks of the narrative to fit it into my home campaign.

I’ve read a few of the OARs - my current favourite would be Castle Amber but I was given the ToEE for Christmas which may change my mind if the conversion expands the elemental nodes well! My request was just to save time really as I tend to rewrite big chunks of the narrative to fit it into my home campaign.
Castle Amber is the only one I don’t have. I’ve used “Into the Borderlands“ and now I’m using TOEE specifically for the Nodes. I built out the Earth Node myself, but I’m using their Fire Node.

I suspect, given the ~5% complete nature of the original Nodes, that old play of them varied a ton from DM to DM.

Last edited:

Remove ads