[NBA] - (S)Entry

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Rudek's smile slips a little.

"I have found it better to not ask too many questions. The less I know, the less that those that desire my services can accuse me of letting slip accidentally. I know that it is his personal laptop upon which he does work. He is not supposed to bring it out of the office, but as a Brigadier General, he can get away with things that a lot of lower-ranked officers cannot. My employer wishes solely for the data upon the laptop to not leave the country. Here, they have more control than back in Canada."

OOC: Gabriella, Hung-Ke and Persephone, due to the points they have in Data Recovery and Electronic Surveillance know that it is probably less the physical security that NATO is worried about, but rather exposing the laptop to various malware on an unsecured network and possibly carrying a maliscious digital payload from the outside onto the secured NATO network.

"As for why they want a large team? Our employers do not believe in taking chances. They are very much proponents of the philosophy that it is better to pay a little more up-front to get something done right than to pay a lot more after the fact to fix things."

He digs through his pockets and throws two sets of car keys onto the table. "Two Jeep Cherokees are parked in the parking garage in lots 25 and 78. They are the same make and model used by the UN and NATO, so you should be have little problem driving around or attracting visibility. I can provide you with a safe border crossing into Bosnia, but it will take 24 hours to arrange for the proper personnel to be in position. You will be responsible for getting into Serbia yourselves."

"Also, I have left several additional weapons in the lockboxes in the Cherokee in lot 25." He looks at Hung. "It is the same code as Trieste to open it."

Committed Hero

Adventurer
"Never underestimate the power of red tape, boyo," Ashcan puts in. "His quarters are on the NATO base, same as his office, roight? So even though the security should be the same - if the regulations say computers don't leave the office, that's Holy Writ to the military moind."

"If he's not trusting it to NATO security, it stands to reason that he's more worried about people on the inside of his fence. Sounds like valuable information that will secure him some additional retirement pay."

Lee leaves unsaid his next conclusion: if Rudek wants exclusivity, we're being hired to keep these secrets under wraps. Who has connections inside and outside of NATO?

"Why can't we just hit him on the road, or arrange an accident? Or if that's too obvious, we keep him in Europe on a trumped-up criminal charge."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"If he's not trusting it to NATO security, it stands to reason that he's more worried about people on the inside of his fence."

"Why can't we just hit him on the road?"

OOC: It sounds like we have some competing assumptions going on - I'm assuming that the NATO General lives on the NATO base... and if he's turning over his command to a successor in six days, I'm guessing he probably won't be doing much travelling outside of the base itself - too much to do.

If he has an apartment in Sarajevo and leaves the base to go home each night, though, that's a different story.

mudbunny - do we know from Rudek's packet where the General lives?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
He digs through his pockets and throws two sets of car keys onto the table. "Two Jeep Cherokees are parked in the parking garage in lots 25 and 78. They are the same make and model used by the UN and NATO, so you should be have little problem driving around or attracting visibility.

Ashcan scoops up one keyring. "No complaints if they aren't in quoite the same condition when we return them?" he asks, and flashes Rudek an impish grin.

Kaodi

Hero
Mace smiles mischievously at that last crack. "Afraid you are losing you grip on the wheel, old man? I didn't think rolling that APC on the Pakistani border had shaken you up that much."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Mace smiles mischievously at that last crack. "Afraid you are losing you grip on the wheel, old man? I didn't think rolling that APC on the Pakistani border had shaken you up that much."

"That was a deliberate tactical maneuver, and you won't foind another man who'd have pulled it off," Ashcan huffs. "Don't worry, Rudek, Oi've no plans to trash your Jeeps. Oi just have a few... modifications in moind."

Committed Hero

Adventurer
OOC: It sounds like we have some competing assumptions going on - I'm assuming that the NATO General lives on the NATO base... and if he's turning over his command to a successor in six days, I'm guessing he probably won't be doing much travelling outside of the base itself - too much to do.

If he has an apartment in Sarajevo and leaves the base to go home each night, though, that's a different story.

mudbunny - do we know from Rudek's packet where the General lives?

OOC: Either way - Lee is just noting who might be interested in finding out the secret information.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Gabriella yawns. "Sounds like fun! And I'm just as pleased we don't seem to be starting WWIII or committing high treason anywhere important." She smiles slowly at Rudek. "And next time, see if we can do this in Tahiti instead of Serbia. The man has to go on vacation some time..."

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Rudek smiles at the questions from the crew.

Hah, they seem interested. Probably going to take the contract then.

"If he's not trusting it to NATO security, it stands to reason that he's more worried about people on the inside of his fence. Sounds like valuable information that will secure him some additional retirement pay."
"Why can't we just hit him on the road, or arrange an accident? Or if that's too obvious, we keep him in Europe on a trumped-up criminal charge."

"According to our information, Rudek lives on the base compound. The possibility of an...accident...happening to the good general had occurred to me, but to do so this close to his turning over command would invite a level of scrutiny that our employers do not wish to have. If the laptop or the data should happen to turn up missing...", Rudek shrugs his shoulders with a wry smile " well, it is not as if he can claim a loss of something he has never shared with anyone. It is their belief that what he has uncovered he has not shared with anyone yet. According to the little information that they have shared with me, this information started as a result of some innocent inquiries. It was also made clear to me that to question further would be unhealthy."
Ashcan scoops up one keyring. "No complaints if they aren't in quoite the same condition when we return them?" he asks, and flashes Rudek an impish grin.
"Don't worry, Rudek, Oi've no plans to trash your Jeeps. Oi just have a few... modifications in moind."

"What vehicles are you talking about?" Rudek asks with a knowing smile.

Gabriella yawns. "Sounds like fun! And I'm just as pleased we don't seem to be starting WWIII or committing high treason anywhere important." She smiles slowly at Rudek. "And next time, see if we can do this in Tahiti instead of Serbia. The man has to go on vacation some time..."

"Miss Gabriella has the right idea. The less people that know about this the better. It is understandable that there may be some low-level casualties. Upper-level casualties are to be avoided if at all possible."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"Miss Gabriella has the right idea. The less people that know about this the better. It is understandable that there may be some low-level casualties. Upper-level casualties are to be avoided if at all possible."

"Quoiet and discreet, then? In and out, none the woiser?" Ashcan winks at Gabriella. "Sounds loike one of your jobs, a leanbh..."

He cracks his knuckles and leans back in his chair. "Roight up until it turns into one of moine, of course. They always do in the end."

Remove ads