• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Neat, Add-On, d20 Rules???

Greg K

Legend
Anyways, Greg K, I think you may want to use another example. You've very successfully demonstrated that women can be very skilled (31-0 record, 18 KOs). I don't think you've demonstrated what Water Bob was commenting on: Strength difference.

I was not commenting on the strength issue. I was commenting on where he found the idea of a main female character weird and seemed to apply that women can't kick ass (although, in his follow up to my post he says Linda Hamilton in Terminator is a rare exception that he can buy into) . The link I gave had more than just her ring record. There was mention of her taking on multiple rapists, at least one of whom was armed, and stabbing the guy with his own knife after disarming him. I was hoping might give him a new perspective and make it seem less weird

I don't think you can Empower Spiritual Weapons. There is no random die in the casting, not for duration nor for number. In any case, it wouldn't affect the BAB of the Spiritual Weapon, so it wouldn't lead to any more attacks.

Yeah, that's exactly what it means.

Of course, the feeble Wizard with an 8 CON dies at -8. And CON draining poisons and effects now hold a triple threat: The CON loss itself, the loss of hit points, and the lower threshold of death.

Spiritual Weapon can be Empowered because its random damage die is 1d8. If one goes by the example in the PHB description, the +1/3 caster level also applies since that's part of the variable described, just as Magic Miisile's 1d4+1 is Empowered. My personal take is since the weapon would not exist without the spell period, it is the spell and can be Empowered. It gains multiple attacks based on its caster's BAB, and also gets a hit bonus from the caster's Wis.

The Con mod sounds really fun to be honest. It really gives hit points and such a big emphasis.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
@Greg K : You mentioned SKR's "Fewer Absolutes", which is an alt ruleset I really like as far as energy resistance/immunity goes.

Do you know if it's better fleshed out anywhere? The essay I've seen is sadly unfinished (or, more precisely, not followed up).

Bonus points if someone has expanded this to include poison and disease resistance/immunity. I've attempted but have never come up with anything satisfactory.

[edit]
For those not familiar, here are SKR's (unfinished) "Fewer Absolutes" essays: Part 1, Part 2

Last edited:

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Bonus points if someone has expanded this to include poison and disease resistance/immunity. I've attempted but have never come up with anything satisfactory.

That was my approach to these types of things in my 3.5-based game. I have "trait ranks" that are much like skill ranks, and they scale as you go up in hit die (level). Though, since my game is classless (point-buy instead), you can do things like increase trait scores to increase the rate at which you attain certain levels of traits.

At any rate, "fire immunity" ends up being only 10 resistance per point (while increasing cold damage per point), and "disease immunity" allows a check to be completely immune to disease (you automatically make your save), while also providing a flat bonus to checks against diseases.

As always, play what you like :)

Greg K

Legend
@Greg K : You mentioned SKR's "Fewer Absolutes", which is an alt ruleset I really like as far as energy resistance/immunity goes.

Do you know if it's better fleshed out anywhere? The essay I've seen is sadly unfinished (or, more precisely, not followed up).

I don't know of anywhere.

I was also disappointed that Sean never wrote the third part.

kitcik

Adventurer
So it's like a fantasy roleplaying game.

And like peeps want to do stuff they can't do in real life.

And like not many women play cuz EGG, in his own words, designed it as a guy game and chicks wear chainmail bikinis and stuff.

So finally some women are playing.

And they want to do stuff they can't do in real life too.

Like kick guys' butts.

And now you give them -3 Str.

So they think yer a dick and don't want to play any more.

So explain to me again why this is a good idea?

Water Bob

Adventurer

It's called "suspension of disbelief". Your suspension of disbelief is blown when you see something you can't buy into. For example, the giant mechanical spider seemed a bit too "high tech" for 1800's western frontier in the Wild, Wild, West movie.

www02.jpg

A person might be able to beleive that magic happens in a universe but not women on equal physical footing as men. For other people, Red Sonja in a chain mail bikini is cool.

It's just personal taste of the stories you like to experience.

It's an optional rule. Don't use it if it doesn't turn you on. Heck, I'm not even using it in my game (but, I'm contempating it).

It's not.

And, given that a huge, burly, phenomenally strong half-orc rates a +2 Strength bonus, there is no cause to give human female characters a Strength penalty of any magnitude.

-3 to Strength is saying that human women are weaker than halflings.

This is complete bollocks.

Completely apart from the fact that anyone who is using an odd number for an ability score modifier in a d20 system is shouting from the rooftops that they have no freakin' clue what they are doing.

Water Bob

Adventurer
-3 to Strength is saying that human women are weaker than halflings.

This is complete bollocks.

Remember that the rule was written for a pseudo-realstic univers of medieval Greenland. No demi-humans.

Completely apart from the fact that anyone who is using an odd number for an ability score modifier in a d20 system is shouting from the rooftops that they have no freakin' clue what they are doing.

I've heard this before can call bullocks on it. An odd numbered penalty is fine. There's no reason to always have even numbers just because every two points of stat relates a single +1 mod.

kitcik

Adventurer
It's called "suspension of disbelief". Your suspension of disbelief is blown when you see something you can't buy into.

So, just to make this perfectly clear...

You can believe that in a fantasy world:
- a person can change into a buffalo and trample people
- a person can call fire from his fingers
- a person can summon demons to do his bidding
- there are hundreds of gawds granting magical powers to people around the world
- people can long jump 100' if they pump their "jump skill"
- gelatinous cubes roam the earth sucking in garbage and living matter indiscriminately
- jiminy, I better stop before I use up the entire server

But you cannot bring yourself to believe that in a fantasy world women are as strong as men?

Dude, you need a girlfriend, bad.

Remove ads