• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Necromancer or Evil Cleric for undead master ?

MoonZar

Explorer
Hello,

I wonder wich character do u prefer to control and use undead.

Evil cleric or a Necromancer and i want to know if possible why do u prefer one beside the other ?

I'm refering to DND 3.5 Edition with only the players handbook.

Thanks You

MoonZar

Last edited:

Telperion

First Post
Evil Clerics are best.
There are also some very nice PrCs in Hollowfaust: City of the Necromancers that go a long way towards creating a proper necromancer.

EDIT: Rebuking gives you more control over undead without having to expend any spells. You can also combine this class ability with spells. As I recall Clerics are better at creating undead anyway...

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Explorer
Negative energy (not necessarily evil) cleric all the way.
Although Necromancy has been largely improved in 3.5, a cleric is still much more effective as an undead master, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't like undead anyway ;p

LoneWolf23

First Post
Take a Necromancer Wizard, and give him the Command Undead Necromantic Feat, and he can rebuke and command undead as a cleric of half his character level, rounded down, and without any unholy symbol.

Only risk is that you must make a Necromantic Energy check every time you use it, DC 10, with caster level and Int bonus applying to your roll. If you fail, you gain a Negative Energy Side Effect such as Stench of Death or Animal Terror, which mark you as a Necromancer.

...All from Necromancy: Beyond the Grave, a Mongoose Publishing Encyclopedia Arcane sourcebook, now available in a collected volume.

Li Shenron

Legend
LoneWolf23 said:
Take a Necromancer Wizard, and give him the Command Undead Necromantic Feat, and he can rebuke and command undead as a cleric of half his character level, rounded down, and without any unholy symbol.

Only risk is that you must make a Necromantic Energy check every time you use it, DC 10, with caster level and Int bonus applying to your roll. If you fail, you gain a Negative Energy Side Effect such as Stench of Death or Animal Terror, which mark you as a Necromancer.

...All from Necromancy: Beyond the Grave, a Mongoose Publishing Encyclopedia Arcane sourcebook, now available in a collected volume.

IIRC there is an automatic failure on natural 1s for the use of necromantic feats, which means that you get a side effect at least every 20 rebuke/command attempts, and IISRC they are all cumulative. Overall a large risk on the span of a character's lifetime.

Elrik_DarkFury

First Post
I think that a cleric serves better at the mecanics part of the game (more related spells-turn/rebuke undead etc.) and in lower character levels.A wizard is more appealing to me in highter levels and u get to see more wizards-necromancers than clerics in fantasy books and stories..

MDSnowman

First Post
On this thread of thought I was wondering if anyone remembered the issue of Dragon that had the class combos for Necromancers... I seem to recall a Fighter/Necromancer/Pale Master combo geared toward controlling as many undead as possible, but I can't find it to save my life.

Necropolis

First Post
HI

If you are looking for a very cool Necromancer core class and 3 other prestige classes for necromancers, you should check the upcoming book, the lords of the night: Zombies from bottled imp games.

I think you will find the best Necromancer class there as it cool and original.

www.bottledimpgames.com

Remove ads