D&D 4E Need Advise on recreating a 4e invoker in 5e?

Hello all, running a 5e game where all the characters are old dead characters of our players animated for one last battle (think night of the living dead meets night at the museum). Having a difficulty with the 4e invoker of Avandra. She was a wrath invoker. I'm thinking either favored soul sorcerer or wizard arcane theurge. Any advice on how to handle this? anyone run into anything similar? Thanks

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Arcana Cleric is possibly the most true conversion. Wis based casting and your pick of some of Wizard cantrips and spells to round you out.

It's technically breaking the rules for clerics, but that's what being dead and going though an edition change does to the rules of magic anyway.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm thinking either favored soul sorcerer or wizard arcane theurge. Any advice on how to handle this? anyone run into anything similar? Thanks
I'd just go with Cleric. 5e Cleric spells feature plenty of control, just don't prep so much support (assuming there's someone else to take up the slack). In a sense, 4e split the Cleric between the Cleric & Invoker, because it was just too much to it for one 4e Role (& secondary role). 5e restored the Cleric to it's former glory (OK, not CoDzilla radioactive glory).

My recollection is that I saw 3 play styles for invokers (regardless of the subclass): "maledict and then blast", summoners, and "spells of Celestia" (there were a lot of spells that either specifically referenced Mt. Celestia or drew on pre-4e archons, especially the Trumpet Archon). For the first one, warlock seems fine with a little refluffing (eldritch blast does radiant damage), for the second cleric is pretty good (between planar ally, conjure celestial, guardian of faith, and spirit guardians, you can get a lot of "summoning" in), but the last option seems hard to do without a lot of homebrewing.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
There's some good advice here! I like the Arcana Cleric idea, pretty solid.

nightspaladin said:
Any advice on how to handle this? anyone run into anything similar?

I'm doing a Covenant of Preservation Invoker for my Astral campaign. Here's the most recent version of that:

invoker1.png
invoker2.png
invoker3.png

Goes on a Cleric chassis, but does its own "domain."

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Since this is going to be a one-off game using old 4E characters, it wouldn't break the rest of your 5E gaming to home-brew new Invoker cantrips in a way reminiscent of the 4E Invoker At-Will powers. After all, 5E Clerics know 3 cantrips at level 1; and 4E Invokers knew 2 At-Will powers, or 3 instead if the Cleric was a Human using the PHB racial traits.

I have something written up about that. I'll come back here and post a link once I've gotten the content posted into a new thread with the "homebrew" tag.

Edit: OK, it's up.

Last edited:

Remove ads