• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need an alternative assassin-type

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I swear that to this day I don't get what Gygax was thinking with the Ranger. Actually, I wouldn't even have based the Cleric's divine powers on a spell system, but that's dragging this thread way off topic.

AMEN!

I could see someone using certain base classes as assassins- Rogues, obviously, but also Scouts, Soulknives or Rangers.

(really, under the right circumstances, any class will do)

If you have AU/AE, the Akashic can make a credible assassin.

However, for a Pirate-themed campaign assassin in a with minimal mystical abilities, using only WotC material, I'd probably multiclass Rogue/Fighter, Rogue/Soulknife, or Rogue with 4 levels of Ranger...taking a Parrot as the animal companion. ;)

I saw an African Grey in a bad, bad horror movie- it had all the best lines. Whenever it sensed the supernatural horror stalking the forest rangers, it said "Uh-Oh!"

Despite this, the idiot rangers kept trying to save it by leaving it behind.

For a while I was toying with the idea of Ranger's spell lists not being spells per se, but rather a combination of esoteric woodcraft, alchemy, and herbalism. Stuff that seems mystical to the uninitiated, but is just a representation of the advanced knowledge and abilities of the character.

But to get back on topic, I dig the Green Ronin Assassin class handbook. And the C&C assassin class, of course (I don't think it would be too hard to convert that one to Skull & Bones).

GreatLemur said:
Man, no kidding. D&D has such a weird history of grafting spellcasting onto classes that don't really warrant it, flavor wise. I swear that to this day I don't get what Gygax was thinking with the Ranger. Actually, I wouldn't even have based the Cleric's divine powers on a spell system, but that's dragging this thread way off topic.

If your assassin-type has a -- er -- healthy interest in poisons, you might have a gander at my Poisoncraft book, which includes a non-magical assassin class called the darkblade ... in addition to a host of new rules for poisons.

Balgus

First Post
Homebrew. Open up the possibility to your player to create his own PrC. Start with a class you think is balanced and have him swap out the given skills and spells for skills of equal power.

EX - assassin class from DMG
Minus spells
Add 4 rogue abilities
or whatever you feel fitting your campaign

Nyeshet

First Post
You know, the obvious choice would be the Assassin core class in Swashbuckling Adventures. It does not even require being Evil (although I think it discourages being good). It is a non-magical class, using sneak attack, death attack, and having specials related to stealth and getting away, fooling those seeking to capture you into thinking you were an innocent bystander, etc.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Nyeshet said:
You know, the obvious choice would be the Assassin core class in Swashbuckling Adventures. It does not even require being Evil (although I think it discourages being good). It is a non-magical class, using sneak attack, death attack, and having specials related to stealth and getting away, fooling those seeking to capture you into thinking you were an innocent bystander, etc.

Hi,

I looked at that one. It seemed quite weak compared to the Assassin PrC. The CityWorks class has Fighter BAB progression.

I've given the player details of the CityWorks class, and DungeonMasterCal's PrC to look at. I actually think the Avenging Executioner fits his character best, but it's for him to decide. He doesn't meet all the prerequisites for this yet.

Cheers

Richard

Nyeshet

First Post
RichGreen said:
Hi,

I looked at that one. It seemed quite weak compared to the Assassin PrC. The CityWorks class has Fighter BAB progression.

I've given the player details of the CityWorks class, and DungeonMasterCal's PrC to look at. I actually think the Avenging Executioner fits his character best, but it's for him to decide. He doesn't meet all the prerequisites for this yet.
The setting is low magic, and what magic is present for use would be considered more in line (powerwise, level for level) with the Adept than with the Wizard or Cleric. All of which means that all the classes of that setting are a bit weak compared to typical core classes.

I haven't looked at the CityWorks class, but I am glad a solution has been found.

Remove ads