Need crazy girlfriend input

For a game. :cool:

So, a player (Zweihander RPG, fantasy, very low-power, very low-magic) has taken the Drawback of Nemesis, thinking to minimize the cost. I've decided that his dedicated foe shall be a young noblewoman (he is a noble) who is both deranged and obsessed with him. He barely remembers her.

She will tail the group, seeking 'revenge' for 'ruining her life' and 'casting her aside' (he did neither; in fact, he only encountered her a handful of times at events, feasts, etc). She has money, but not unlimited funds, and a couple retainers, but no access to magic or enchantments of any sort.

So, what sort of insane antics would she get up to? If this were modern setting I would have no problems, but fantasy is throwing me a little.

This is a long-term campaign, so I want to avoid a confrontation between the two, or revealing her identity, for as long as possible; just harassment type stuff.

Ideas?

Last edited:

In a 7th Sea game years ago, my character - a pirate captain who was also a member of the Merchant's guild, so essentially when he wasn't stealing, he was being paid to smuggle or even legit ship things places - had a nemesis: his former girlfriend. (He had the hubris Star-crossed, so he just always ended up entangled with the dramatically inappropriate women)

She would drift in and out of his life, just as a complication. The first time they met, he had just stopped a ship and robbed it... only for her and her crew to show up and rob HIM. But she wasn't always an enemy - when he needed to get away from his Sidhe father, she was the one who had provided him with the cold iron-loaded pistol. Twice.

Personally, I hope you have more of that in your game. I think the thing with your scenario to remember is - she's rich. She's a noble probably with connections. She may rather use poisoned words to interfere - now all of a sudden, no one will hire the party, no one will vouch for them, no one will SELL to them... and then she shows up and convienently mentions she'd be happy to put the good word in for him, yknow, just this once... 'for old times sake'.

I think if she is deranged and obsessed with him, her play is going to be more to make him realize the mistake he made by dismissing her. The statement I would use as a touchstone for her would be: "Every villain believes they're the hero of the story." And in fact, to really mess with things, make her legitimately helpful to the party's face. Make her gaslight the other PCs into 'wth is this guy's problem? this woman is really useful ... or at least we can use her resources.'

YMMV

JohnF

Adventurer
I had a similar scenario going last year in a 5e game when the Cavalier Prince PC returned home from an adventure with a love interest. I thought it would be fun to introduce a noble's daughter he just barely knew who had fully expected to be betrothed to him some day (as per their fathers' casual discussions). She was quite unhappy. Vengeance ensued.

To avoid shallow stereotypes, I layered these elements into the character and plotlines:
  • I connected the looming Big Bad that had been lurking in the shadows for months to her noble family line (not originally planned that way, but made an awesome reveal).
  • Her interferences and occasional "attacks" mostly failed along the way, but each time, she still gained something in the attempt, and those gains made her continually more formidable and, eventually, powerful.
  • her desire for revenge against the Cavalier Prince and his new bride never went away, but it did evolve as she evolved, eventually to go from "I want him to suffer" to "I want him to suffer and I want his kingdom."
  • Having the PCs wonder about redeeming her (it's not her fault if she felt wronged) or defeating her (can some of her "villainy" be justified as an awful by-product of harsh patriarchy?) was a treat!
  • She ultimately became incredibly pivotal to the big finale, being instrumental in the near-success of the Big Bad (also not originally planned). Sadly, she could not be redeemed and fought to the bloody end.
So, what sort of insane antics would she get up to?
  • She might try to find ways to call the legitimacy of the noble's family line into question.
  • If the noble PC adventures much and tales of his deeds get around, she might try to have those stories twisted using bawdy, scandalous, or villainous half-truths.
  • She would most definitely seek out a noble look-alike to create shenanigans to frame or embarrass the real noble.
  • She needs a "crew" to help her with her schemes. The more colorful the bunch, the better. Maybe the anti-party version of the PC noble's party, or a group of variously scorned or ruined nobles, or a collection of past "wronged" bad guys the PCs have defeated. When more than money is the motivation, you get great storytelling!
  • Does the noble PC have a rival anywhere? Or do the other PCs have a rival? She could find ways to support the growth or power of that individual.
  • She could just slash his tires. All the time.
I hope it's a lot of fun!

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The ex-sorta-girlfriend thinks like the main Voice character in the song "Whsn He Cheats".

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist has descriptions of noble intrigue going on in the background; in this case bring the shenanigans forward.

To besmirch the PC's reputation, crazy girlfriend sets up a wedding between him and herself - with all the details and trimmings. Seeking no input from him. So she can set up a 'jilted at the altar' scene.

To besmirch the PC's reputation, crazy girlfriend sets up a wedding between him and herself - with all the details and trimmings. Seeking no input from him. So she can set up a 'jilted at the altar' scene.

Now that's solid. Except she hires a local girl, and this happens just before they hit town. Gotta keep her in the shadows for as long as possible.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
So ... I'd look at the sorts of behaviors that real-world stalkers engage in. I'd also consider the possibility this stalker is operating under some delusion that there's still a real relationship (like, literally, a delusion). It sounds as though you're getting close to this already.

Delusion aside, this stalker might be writing threatening letters from fictional people to herself and/or others, especially the PC. Defamation and calumny definitely seem plausible--maybe through cat's-paws of various sorts.

If the PC has a significant other, this nemesis is likely to focus ire on them instead of the PC. Dunno how likely that is to come up in your games.

Dioltach

Legend
There's the old standby of "This is my new lover, he's so much better than you but give me a single sign and I'll take you back."

Or given that it's a fantasy world: constantly scrying the PC.

There's the old standby of "This is my new lover, he's so much better than you but give me a single sign and I'll take you back."

Or given that it's a fantasy world: constantly scrying the PC.

Low-power, low-magic. No scrying at all. As I noted in the OP, she has zero access to magic/enchanted gear.
The PCs don't even have a single spellcaster.

Delusion aside, this stalker might be writing threatening letters from fictional people to herself and/or others, especially the PC. Defamation and calumny definitely seem plausible--maybe through cat's-paws of various sorts.
No SO. But I like the letters-that's a useful action, while hiding her actual identity.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
So, what sort of insane antics would she get up to? If this were modern setting I would have no problems, but fantasy is throwing me a little.
The PC arrives in town but finds that every inn is full. Oddly enough, the inns aren't actually full but someone came through and paid for all the rooms. (I know she has limited money but maybe this forces the PCs to use a ratty flea bitten inn instead.)

Remove ads