Need good intro module

Dire Wolf

First Post
OK, so I am supposed to run a game at a convention in October for people who have never played D&D before or at least are new to 3.X edition. I don't have much time to prepare something myself, at least not something of the quality that I would prefer. Can anyone recommend a good introductory module for 1st level characters?

Nyaricus

First Post
Well, It's actually for a 3rd level party, but I used Dry Spell (availiable off of WotC Downloaded section on thier site) for a 1-shot for my new group last week.

Personally, I thought it went great. We were a bit off topic (so the module took a litle longer than was expected), and had one guy who was (too :p) used to the GURPS game, but it was really fun. It centres around a Bugbear who has stolen a magical item named the Eversoaking Sponge and who is using that, combined with a dry summer, to make a nearby human settlement suffer a water shortage. Relgore Hrimtooth (the bugbear) is a leader of a gang of ogres, gnolls, orcs and goblins who takes up residence in a bunch of different caves in and around the genreal area. He stole the sponge off of a noble [can't remember name right now] who was taking it to a sage in another city, and who want's it back. The party's job is to do so.

The pdf is 7 pages long, straightforward, and fairly reminiscent of the Den of Evil from Diablo II, which was cool :cool:

Even though it's for levl 3 characters, it is worth noting that there really isn't that much difference at that level than first. They have yet to see a magical sword, but may have a few Masterwork items, and a couple minor potions and the like. Nothing to big or bad or scary.

I could even post up the stats if you wish, but for now here's a run-down of the 5 person party I ran:
  • Zook Nackle, a curious little gnome sorcerer (3) with a penchant for alchemical items, explosions and illusions. Has a Weasel familiar named Scruffy.
  • Cora Tealeaf, a halfing rogue (3) who likes to backstab enemies.
  • Edgar Allen Polearm, a human fighter (3) who fights with a... greatsword. He's all power attck, all the time
  • Lox Ironbeard is a staunch dwarven cleric (3) of Moradin who fights with a warhammer and uses spells which help support his allies and himself.
  • Heian Galanodel is a Elven ranger (3) who uses her bow with great effect against her races ancient enemies - goblinoids.
It was a lot of fun, and I would recommend this as a great starting module to anyone :)

nakia

First Post
I dig The Dragonfiend Pact from Goodman Games. It's simple but not overly so, there are some cool puzzles, interesting opponents, and it's only two bucks!

Mycanid

First Post
Great names for pc's Nyaricus! I almost laughed aloud in the office - which would have taken a lot of time to explain. No one else here EVER gamed.

I would recommend my most recent adventure I wrote up! (blushes furiously at this shameless attempt at self-promotion :eek: ) but it is not typed up yet, only written out. Treebore has one of the three xeroxed copies in existence, hero4hire has the other and SpiderMonkey will be getting the third xerox in full soon ... all Ennie's of course. Ah well ... every frog praises his own swamp, as the saying goes, eh? (No I am not from Canada!)

But ... assuming you will NOT have access to it by then (very likely) there is always the possibility of downloading the OSRIC conversin system and converting one of the 1e modules. Why not, say, U1? Or even T1? What about UK5? Now THAT would be a good one.

However if you do not have the time I am sure both Wotc's web site and individual Ennie's throughout here have there own websites containing homebrew entry level adventures you could grab!

Edit: Oh yes - Nyaricus, please DO post those pc's stats! I think it would be useful in any event! I'd find them useful if nothing else....

Dire Wolf

First Post
Thanks for the ideas. I definitely had not thought of converting one of the old 1E modules. Since this is for a convention I have to keep the adventure short, especially since I will be explaining the game as well as running an adventure. I will definitely check these out. Thanks for the help!

Remove ads