Need help fighting kraken

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Fade said:
Melee fighters will never get a chance to fight. It has 100' reach with it's tentacles and can move 280' a round.

My goodness. Well, I had been working under the assumption that it couldn't get to them (since it was waiting outside the caves, and they were inside.) Thus, its movement rate is moot, since it can't enter the cave system.

But if it has a 100' reach, that means it can stay well outside the caves, and thus outside the melee fighters' ranges, while still hitting them with its own attacks if they try to come close.

Ouch.

Okay, just go for the lightning bolts. Since it can only heal 20hp per day, if it keeps coming back, you've got it. Or it leaves. Or it seems to leave and waits for you to come out...then attacks. And with that 280' move...

*head spins*

Maybe you're just better off exploring those caverns and praying that there's a scroll of Teleport somewhere in there... :(

chilibean

First Post
Escape

I would try to escape.

How deep are you underwater? Have the sorcerer cast haste, improved invis, and fly on a person.

Then shoot a lightning bolt at the Kraken to distract it while simultaneously using the wand of dimension door to get the buffed person as close to the surface as possible. Have him fly striaght up at max speed, and keep going for 150' after you leave the water. Then fly to safety.

Repeat until the whole party has evacuated (maybe days later). The last 2 people might be a little more tricky, but obviously the sorcerer has to be last.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
kraken.jpg

THERE IS NO ESCAPE!!!

Sodalis

First Post
i would give the rogue the wand of lightning bolts (hoping he has skill ranks in use magic device) and then you will have six bolts in one round.

Other than that- tell the Dm that there is no way you can win... and then explore teh caves. If thetre is nothing teher and you are forcved to fight, sit down, join hands, and pray to god for divine intervention. After about a week, the god (DM) will get the point and a magic opening qwill present itself.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Not very encouraging. But thanks for the ideas. One possible problem: the DM has ruled that lightning bolts do 1/4 damage underwater, and that the damage is a globe that originates where the bolt originates: the caster's fingertips or wand tip. :(

Here's what I've been thinking:

Buff up fighters (including abjurer) with buff spells, haste, invis. Abjurer also gets Stoneskin and then casts Vampiric touch and holds charge.

Melee attack like mad, but stick together. The kraken's reach is bad news, but I'm perfectly happy hewing at tentacles as I am at hewing the body--the kraken bleeds just the same.

Sorceress stands off at range and magic missiles. Over and over again.

When abjurer is finally hit and grappled, the Vampiric touch spell will go off. That's another 8d6 of dam to the Kraken, which has the bonus of adding to the abjurer's hp.

To get out of grapple, Abjurer casts Dimension Door (only a verbal component) or uses Wand of Dimension Door.

Abjurer can use Dimension Door (and haste) to appear next to grappled friend, then touch friend and use another DD to pop away.

This just might let us take the damn thing out.

But I also like the idea of forgetting about the kraken for awhile and instead exploring the cave. Maybe there'll be a way to trap it or crush it under rock.

Any other ideas?

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Inside out

Here's another idea, that came about from an earlier encounter with Huge Dire Sharks. Our dwarf Paladin was swallowed whole, but cut her way out from the inside.

So here's the idea: charge up with Fly and Protection from Elements: Acid. Use Dimension Door to appear inside the Kraken's stomach. Attack from the inside (melee).

Gotta figure that the Kraken's internal AC would be pretty bad, right? And you're safe from the tentacles.

Does anybody know any rules for teleporting/dimension dooring into the body cavities of a Gargantuan creature?

Remove ads