• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help hitting

I have a lvl 6 ranger who can't seem to hit a damn thing. It's mostly cause of her rolls and when you hit once per encounter I can imagine things to get a little dull. Any ideas for static attack bonuses, use of the avengers oath thingy and/or better use of leader attack buffs? The woman that plays as the ranger is really nice and loves DnD but this really pushes the limit when you consistently miss as much as she does.

Mentat55

First Post
More info on the ranger would help -- race, build, ability scores in particular.

If the ranger has an 19 in Str or Dex (depending on the build) and a +1 or +2 weapon, then there is no substantive reason why she should miss a lot. Expertise is one solution, as can using a weapon with a higher proficiency bonus (assuming she is not using a prof +3 weapon already). Prime Shot (and feats related to it, like Prime Strike) and combat advantage can give good situational bonuses to hit.

Well it's all based in rolls for d20 always staying around 5~. The average AC of the creatures I use are 19-21 so a solid +16 to attack would be nice. This ranger has experise and +4 to str and dex (TWR sontyeres rarely a time she doesn't use prime shot). All the other feats increase damage.

Use more Brutes of 2 levels below the PCs... things she could hit when rolling a 5.

If the issue is the player rolling at or below 5 on the D20, stats and modifiers won't help. You need to either wait for her poor streak to go away or start using things that can be hit at that range.
Sure, this means everyone else will be hitting like crazy, but thats why you boost the monsters HPs.

Getting bonuses to hit won't make up a +5 to +10 difference in the die roll.

{edit}
And double check her character to make sure all the fiddly bits are stacking. I had a player whose Rogue was being out-damaged by the Tank, until we reviewed how he had stacked everything up....

Take her d20 out into the street and crush it with a sledgehammer. Get a new d20 and make sure that it is tested, cleansed, and properly fame rubbed before play. :p

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Take her d20 out into the street and crush it with a sledgehammer. Get a new d20 and make sure that it is tested, cleansed, and properly fame rubbed before play. :p
Totally this, lol. Wish her our best as well, I'm sure most of us can relate similar trials and periods of time when we couldn't hit even a minion to save our life.

Bill Hooks

First Post
Have her try a Gamescience d20, maybe?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/GameScience-Polyhedral-Un-Inked-Precision-Pumpkin/dp/B001D6IL4W/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1277065520&sr=8-44]Amazon.com: GameScience: Polyhedral 7-Die Set - Opaque Un-Inked Precision Dice - Pumpkin Orange: Toys & Games[/ame]

Remove ads