Need help RtToEE vs. Slavers series.

broghammerj

Explorer
I've come into a major problem. My DND group is about to go our separate ways. Most of us are in med school and are graduating in May so we have a few months left to play. :( I want to let the RPG community determine how we should spend our precious few gaming sessions. The adventures up for grabs are RtToEE and the original Slaver Series (A1-4). A few questions:

1. For those who have played both, which did they prefer?

2. How long does it take to complete RtToEE? We play about 8 hrs every Saturday. Can we get it done?

3. If you had the same problem what adventures would you play? Keep in mind our guys are around 4th level.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully these last few games will foster some great memories as we part ways.

Holy Bovine

First Post
That is a really tough choice (and a sad thing that you group is having to move on...).

Personally I would go for the Slavers series. While both have a very heroic feel to them I always thought that Slavers was a bit better in pacing and roleplaying opportunity. Temple is a (very) extended dungeon crawl with only a maginal amount of heavy role-play scenes.

Also I think you might be hard pressed to finish Temple by May as it is quite long. Not that Slavers isn't long too but it seemed (to me) to take less time than Temple.

Honestly I think you'll have great memories either way you go since both are great adventures.

Good luck to you and your friends in your respective fields!

Heroditis

First Post
Plot Summary for Slavers?

I've heard a lot of good things about Slavers, but don't know much about the plot. My party will be Freeport (set in the Lordship of the Isles) and I am looking for a secondary plot to run along with the Freeport Trilogy. Would Slavers be a good fit?
Thanks,
Heroditis

broghammerj

Explorer
I'm not familiar with the Freeport series so I don't know how well the slaver series fits in. The characters start at about 4th-6th level if that helps at all.

The general plot, and this is very vague since I haven't played the adventure in over 12 years, is you discover a network of slavers and attack them in the town of Highport. A second base of operations is found and attacked. Then you pursue the fleeing slavers only to be taken captive. The captive portion is extremely cool since you are left in an underground cave with only loin clothes. The PCs must make weapons with sticks, rocks, etc. Ingenuity really pays off in the escape.

There are great conversions in the conversion library of EN World which increase the PC levels a bit (to 7 I think). The originals can be purchased from WotC in a downloadable format from their store online. Mind you they are 1st edition. Hope that helps.

Remove ads